close seasons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipatic

[:)] hi all new to this forums,
got a question or two
is there a closed season in yorkshire,
as i have been told there isnt' and can fish all the canals/lakes/and rivers,iam in west yorks around keighley/bradford area hopefully you guys can clear this up,
cheers
and has anyone fish in these area,
pip

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
There will be a closed season on Rivers, thats set by the EA not the local authority.

There hasn't been a closed season on still waters for years although some clubs do still have one that is through their own choice.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi pipatic and welcome on board [:)]

The close season in Yorkshire is the same as the rest of the country, Closes on March 15th and re-opens on 16th June.
It used to be March 1st to June 1st but this changed many years ago.

The Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 sets out the coarse fish close season as 15th March to 15th June inclusive, but makes provision for this to be altered or dispensed with through fisheries byelaws. The coarse fish close season was dispensed with in a piecemeal way during the Water Authority era (1976 1988). Some Authorities dispensed with the close season on stillwaters and/or canals. Historically, some areas, notably Devon and Cornwall, have never had a coarse fish close season on stillwaters or canals.

It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most stillwaters. There are some exceptions - the Broads and some Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs); these sites are listed in the Schedules attached to the byelaws, which you can obtain from your local office (tel 0845 9333111).

Recent byelaw changes mean that the coarse fish close season does not apply to most canals in England and Wales; again there are some exceptions, mainly SSSIs and these are also listed in the Schedules.

Where the statutory coarse fish close season has been removed, fishery owners and angling clubs are free to introduce a close season through club or fishery rules if they wish to.

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
thats what i said, well sort of.

I just used less words [:D]

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

pipatic

thanks alan and dave,
i have always just stopped on the 15 of march when i lived down south,and started again in june,
but havent been fishing for a while,
so thought i give it ago this year, next month lol when i get me licence,

so has anyone fish around keighley /bradford area ?
many thanks
chris

Last edited:

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by Dave

It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most stillwaters.

Does that apply to all the Fens? Cos I have been told we have to go up to Lincolnshire for Easter weekend to visit my missus' Gran. I was hoping to hit some of the drains, but that now looks like it's up the Swannee.

Status
Not open for further replies.