Close call

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I was using my chainsaw today, it’s in good order, chain correctly tensioned and oiled. I have done an awful lot of chainsaw work over the last few years and I am afraid that the old saying “familiarity breeds contempt” is true. I tried to cut a small sapling without clearing the jungle of brambles around it. Something must have got under the blade and caused it to jump out of the bar and it whacked me across the inner thigh. Fortunately it had jumped the drive sprocket as well so no harm done. Certainly taught me to be as careful now as I was the first time I used one.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Keep an eye out in your local Lidl. During the winter they sell trousers with a protective section to wear while using a chain saw !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You only need to slip up once with a chainsaw and it can be life-changing. Always wear the correct protective clothing and PPE.

A friend of mine nearly cut his son's arm off. His son was holding a branch to prevent it falling and the weight of it once cut caught him by surprise and his arm was pulled down on top of the saw. Luckily quick action saw him wrapped up and at the local A&E where he was put back together.