Clocks

62tucker

Site Supporter
Can you tell the time on a normal clock. Well seemingly a 1/5 of the youth of today can’t tell the time on a clock with pointers. WTF. Is happening in this country. All the youths using smartphones etc

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When you got a Labour Politician who thinks Doris Day is a bank holiday waddaya expect.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive got a clock on my lounge wall, just two hands, no numbers markers or dots, and the wall is the clock face.
That confuses the hell out of a lot of people :D

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our local club has a clock that runs (and is numbered) backwards. Try telling the time with that when you've had a few.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I know a lot who can’t tell the time, good job I can cos if they ain’t there when I tell em I leave em, funny though they learn quickly ??

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Drives me nuts in class. A kid asked me the time and I said nearly ten to three, he looked at me blank until I said two forty eight:rolleyes:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
One of my wifes colleagues needed a calculator to work out how many 10's were in 50 FFS he's 28 years old.... I friggin despair I really do

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Surprised that it's only 20% in all honesty and as for mental arithmetic most are totally lost without a calculator. :unsure:

On this years JJL match we had some bright young ladies from the JJL offices helping to record the weigh-in who hadn't a clue how to add up pounds and ounces.:(

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
No need nowadays, can just so Siri “hey Siri what time is it”
And the reply comes back “Chico time”

Arry

Site Supporter
Rather than sitting working out the Integer of a prime with the angle of the hypotenuse and the square root of parrots how about teaching them BASIC matches like times tables addition and subtraction...
Last year I had a game of darts with a lad who has a degree in maths and he didn't know how to subtract the scores... WTF are they teaching kids in school...?

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Our local club has a clock that runs (and is numbered) backwards. Try telling the time with that when you've had a few.
There's one like that at one of the sites I work. Its surprising how off-putting it is. You actually have to think and work out the time rather than take a snapshot glance as you would with a normal clock.

Funnily enough I was sat on t'throne last night (too much info? :) ) and I wondered if I could still remember my times tables. So I started reciting them in my head with "Once two is two, two twos are four." and so on. I got right through to "twelve twelves" without a mistake, although I had to think for a second on one or two. I wonder how many on here still know theirs?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On the subject of metric measurements, to be fair I was taught in metric rather than imperial 50 years ago so it is little wonder that today's youngsters don't understand imperial.

As for calculators, When I did my OU Maths Foundation course we were not allowed to use calculators for standard computations. The reason being that 1/3 is accurate as far as a mathematician is concerned. 0.33 recurring is imprecise. So most things were done in fractions not decimal.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
For good or ill, things that were once commonplace turn into anachronisms. Such is the way of the world, there's little point in railing against it. I know folks that haven't worn a watch in decades, they prefer to rely on their mobile phone for the time. I don't feel properly dressed without a watch, but I couldn't care whether it's analogue or digital. Due to my background, I also have a nasty tendency to use the 24 hour clock. Telling someone that it's 18:45 seems to confuse the hell out of many people, regardless of their age.

I was never formally taught any Imperial measurements. Any knowledge I have of them comes from fishing or working with old "legacy" equipment or American sourced stuff. I know the names of pre-decimal coinage, but have no idea how many pennies make up a shilling, or shillings a pound.

I'd expect the vast majority of folks under 48 (ish. Those that were the first to do GCSEs) to have even less knowledge of Imperial measurements and pre-decimal money than I do. There's not much need for them to have such knowledge and most will not have been formally taught about either much beyond them being footnotes to a text.

62tucker

Site Supporter
On the subject of metric measurements, to be fair I was taught in metric rather than imperial 50 years ago so it is little wonder that today's youngsters don't understand imperial.

As for calculators, When I did my OU Maths Foundation course we were not allowed to use calculators for standard computations. The reason being that 1/3 is accurate as far as a mathematician is concerned. 0.33 recurring is imprecise. So most things were done in fractions not decimal.
Was it not imperial 50 years ago. I am 57 and sure we used a 1 foot rule. Not a 30 cm one.

Also was working on daughter house and we measuring stuff. I would say 50 cm but she would say 500 mm.
I asked her to measure fence 4500 mm. I say 4 and 1/2 meters.
And they say. Dad how bigs 2 foot. And I forever saying. I rule is 1 foot Or 30cm. Try and guesstermate from that.

Arry

Site Supporter
I was taught feet. inches, yards, chains, furlongs, miles... also £, shillings and pence... then I had to learn decimal money.... RI was called Scripture, Maths was Arithmetic, proper schooling... and a caning or the strap if you misbehaved