Clive Branson - Chub Groundbait

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone tried it?

I think in a lot of situations for Chub people won't favour groundbait for Chub, preferring a stream of loose feed falling through the water. I'm looking for a groundbait to mix with my bread mix though. Some people have advised me to just use liquidised or mash. I prefer a mix of groundbait and liquidised for the moment as I experiment with different mixes and this looks like the groundbait for me. Not a bad price either.

This Groundbait mix has two special main ingredients that make this irresistible to Chub. It has been a known fact that wasp grub has always been a special bait for chub and this mixture contains the Honey from the nest and combined with special flakes that when introduced into the swim breakaway and float down the swim attracting the fish from downstream up to your baited hook. Used either with Bread on the hook or Maggots or Casters this groundbait is recommended highly by myself and have accounted for huge bags of chub including The Lower Wye Championships, Wye Championship and Wye Charity successes....​

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The only groundbait I have ever used for Chub is three pints of maggots.
Does sound a bit weird doesn't it - Chub Groundbait - maybe a bit of an oxymoron. It's for my bread fishing though.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I would think might be more aimed at smaller chublets when float fishing. You tend to get them mixed in with roach then.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I sense a bit of scepticism about my flake approach to the Severn but I'm quite eager to try it. I've been told just to feed liquidised or mash so I will experiment.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I know it’s been said before, but I reckon that you’re overthinking it Zerkalo!

once you overcome their innate caution, chub can be very greedy and lack caution ... so can be caught on pretty much any bait. However ... in my experience I only recall one short spell where ground bait outscored other methods for chub ... on the Wye at Belmont. An angler from Cheltenham (sadly can’t recall his name) founds that he could catch poundish stamp chub by fishing a bit further out with a Bolo and groundbait. He had them to himself for a short while.

For bread fishing you Really don’t need to look any further than pure white bread (mash, liquidised, crumb). Personally I favour a mix of crumb and liquidised. Adulterating it with a continental type mix would just be pointless!
Another point to note about bread fishing on rivers for chub is that the classic conditions for fishing bread for chub is low river and COLD water. The river starts to get a greenish tinge. I’m not saying that it won’t work at other times, but will usually be outscored by other methods.

By the way ... the eBay seller is Clive B. I note that he’s also got in to selling EdP ... ”illusions by Branson” ;) ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers for the advice. It makes a lot of sense - white crumb and liquidised seems to me a better option than just liqqy or mash neat. And the cold, clear water thing makes sense to. It's just going to be an experiment trying it alongside other tactics like maggots, casters, hemp for me.

One reason I want to try it is I feel that other than presumably in matches and the odd rogue pleasure I see, Chub are neglected on the middle Severn in favour of Barbel anglers who tend to catch one or two.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One reason I want to try it is I feel that other than presumably in matches and the odd rogue pleasure I see, Chub are neglected on the middle Severn in favour of Barbel anglers who tend to catch one or two.
Have to say whilst I shall have a bit of go at barbel during my week on the severn in September if the conditions are right I’ll be spending far more time filling it in with maggots to try and get a few decent chub. My just shy of 5.5lb stick caught PB chub from it is probably my favourite coarse fish capture so if I can get a few more even approaching that size I’ll be way more chuffed with them than any barbel!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I'm going to be doing a lot of maggot and caster fishing. Had some reasonable Chub doing that myself from the Severn but have also heard stories of 7lb fish that wouldn't surprise me. 😁