Clipping Up with Method Feeder

Steve Lockett

Agree with all those who have said make sure you hit the clip with the rod vertical, then you will have a little bit of spare line on the spool once the rod is set. Also, as others have said, use a strong mainline and, if allowed, a braided hooklength. That will not snap and will also give far superior presentation on the feeder, as the line will not try to straighten and spring off the feed as it breaks down. If braid is not allowed, use a hooklength of at least 8lb, as insurance against breakage on fast takes. With this method, presentation will not affect the number of bites you get, as long as the hookbait stays on top of the feed (a swivel ring to attach a mono hooklength will help).
Also: don't strike, that will make a hooked fish panic and fight harder; the fish are usually hooked when the tip goes round on the method. If you do hook a big fish, keep the rod tip low and to one side and if it runs hard, put the rod tip right under water and it will slow unless it is foulhooked (in which case it's mainly down to luck if you land it anyway!). The bend in the rod should be enough of a cushion, but the line will also have plenty of stretch in it so don't panic, just wait for the hard run to stop. The fish will often decide to kite instead of running away, if the rod is under water.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just remember to 'catch ' the feeder in mid air, it will be easy once you get it right as you get 'muscle memory ' good luck and practice.
Also remember that the harder you pull the harder the fish will pull back.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I've got a baitrunner?
But if i'm clipped up, the line won't run off?

To make it really easy and how I started: Look into the MAP ACS reels, they have a system where by the line unclip itself safely if a fish runs. Great for getting used to method feeder fishing.

Just mark the line with some tipp-ex or something so when pulls out of the clip you can clip back up really easily.

I'm sure there's a video on YouTube showing how ACS works, not bad reels either.

buygoodtackle

Use a pellet band doubled over the line and attach that to the clip, if a lump does take it then the band snaps but the band is left on the line so after unhooking you can cast out and clip up with a new band.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi Chaps,

I am getting myself all confused (as usual).
I spent yesterday on my local using my feeder rod and have got much better at casting direction.
Distance is shocking though :LOL:
I have been looking at a few videos of clipping up, but not all are particularly good. Help me out?

Cast to where I want the method feeder. Clip up. Fine.
Nothing takes, so reel in, re-fill method, cast back out, hit the same spot as it's still clipped.. Fine.
Fish bites, fish has nothing to take. Rod in water? Or should I be taking the line off the clip when it goes into the rest?
I can do that and then re-clip when I am ready to re-fill and re-cast, but if I catch a fish and reel it, my line is no longer clipped, so how do I get it back to where all my bait is?

I'm sure it's simple and i've missed something :unsure:
Also, doesn't the line hitting the clip put a huge amount of stress on the line?

Thanks!
P.
If you use strong line 0.20 or more clip up hit the clip with rod pointing up will give you a few turns on the reel when you lower it to the rest position ...also if your worried you can use a shock leader about 2.5 or 3 times the length of rod that way you should never break line on the clip.that way you.can use lighter reel line if you want to cast a good distance.

johng19

me@home.com
I do clip up but alway bring the rod back to hit the clip, so as when it's on the rest theres a few turns on the reel.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Count the number of turns of the reel to get the feeder to rod tip.
Keep rod against your chest pointing away from water that way you get a couple of turns on the reel after cast.
Keep hold and try to get fish to turn. If not remove clip ( not as easy as it sounds but possible )
Next cast without feed, away from the last area, clip and count again. Adjust on next chuck ( away from feed area ).
When you have the correct distance, fill feeder and cast.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Use the sticks to get the distance your fishing and take a note for future reference.
Put your 2 stop knots on the line. What's easier.
Cast looking at where you want it to land, whilst the feeder is in the air bring the rod back up or to the side to catch the feeder when it hits the clip, and follow it forward to let the feeder land in the water, not allowing it to bounce back towards you. This is where you put the rod into your rest and then tighten up NOT moving the feeder. Because you are only using one rod you should not need to unclip.

Zerkalo

Looking at the spot you want it to land always seems to help me, I rarely clip up though.

Riche

Simples...

Des Shipp has an even better vid on YouTube, I just couldn’t find it...

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Ahh the newbie friendly ACS clip, that's the vid i was on about!

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys are right in saying sweep the rod well back after casting. Then feather the line down, it will give you several extra yards. At distance 50 meters plus (unless your after carp) most fish kite rather than run away from you, that's the time to get those extra yards on the spool. At under 50 yards, it's just as easy NOT to clip up, and just mark the line in some way. A simple bait band works at short range. Rich/

timber

built for comfort
I've found when fishing short (20mish) to a nearby island say, then it is a problem if you hit a lump and the line is clipped, but never had any problems when fishing at distance