Clipping Up with Method Feeder

Grimberian

Hi Chaps,

I am getting myself all confused (as usual).
I spent yesterday on my local using my feeder rod and have got much better at casting direction.
Distance is shocking though :LOL:
I have been looking at a few videos of clipping up, but not all are particularly good. Help me out?

Cast to where I want the method feeder. Clip up. Fine.
Nothing takes, so reel in, re-fill method, cast back out, hit the same spot as it's still clipped.. Fine.
Fish bites, fish has nothing to take. Rod in water? Or should I be taking the line off the clip when it goes into the rest?
I can do that and then re-clip when I am ready to re-fill and re-cast, but if I catch a fish and reel it, my line is no longer clipped, so how do I get it back to where all my bait is?

I'm sure it's simple and i've missed something :unsure:
Also, doesn't the line hitting the clip put a huge amount of stress on the line?

Thanks!
P.

Dusty

Hi Chaps,

I am getting myself all confused (as usual).
I spent yesterday on my local using my feeder rod and have got much better at casting direction.
Distance is shocking though :LOL:
I have been looking at a few videos of clipping up, but not all are particularly good. Help me out?

Cast to where I want the method feeder. Clip up. Fine.
Nothing takes, so reel in, re-fill method, cast back out, hit the same spot as it's still clipped.. Fine.
Fish bites, fish has nothing to take. Rod in water? Or should I be taking the line off the clip when it goes into the rest?
I can do that and then re-clip when I am ready to re-fill and re-cast, but if I catch a fish and reel it, my line is no longer clipped, so how do I get it back to where all my bait is?

I'm sure it's simple and i've missed something :unsure:
Also, doesn't the line hitting the clip put a huge amount of stress on the line?

Thanks!
P.

I just leave the Clip on, usually have a few turns of slack on the reel after the clip which give you a bit of room for manoeuvre if you hook a lump.

rudd

Site Supporter
Stress on line part- as feeder flies through air, bring rod round to your side slightly behind you and as feeder hits clip let rod get pulled back toward feeder, this cushions the force.

fasteddy

When you cast, before the feeder hits the water, sweep your rod back, it should be vertical, or behind your head when the feeder hits the clip, then feather the rod down to the rest, that will give you a few turns on the reel.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
I'm sure there are some MD members in your area who would help you out ?
It's a bit to far for Neil ofthe Nene to come ,so I would ask on here or your local shop or club .
But as already stated bring your rod back when you cast so you have a few turns of line on your reel or you can mark your line with some line marker just above your clip so if you do have to unclip you can see it ,yes it does rub off and you may need to remark your line every so often ,best of luck Notneeded .

SteveAmo

Rather than using the line clip try using a piece of old inner tube about 8mm wide over your spool, as this is far more kinder to your line plus if you hook “monster” the line will come from under the inner tubing and you won’t suffer a crack off!

You just need to either mark your line or tie a slider knot on your main line halfway between your reel and the first rod ring, just in case you do hook a big un so you will know what distance your were originally clipped up at.

Simples!

Total

Site Supporter
Rather than using the line clip try using a piece of old inner tube about 8mm wide over your spool, as this is far more kinder to your line plus if you hook “monster” the line will come from under the inner tubing and you won’t suffer a crack off!

You just need to either mark your line or tie a slider knot on your main line halfway between your reel and the first rod ring, just in case you do hook a big un so you will know what distance your were originally clipped up at.

Simples!

^^ Good post Steve.....Unfortunately line markers need reapplying and sliding knots slip or are a sod to remove for future us.....Distance sticks or otherwise will give the OP the constant accuracy/reputability he so desires. (y)

Silver fan 82

^^ Good post Steve.....Unfortunately line markers need reapplying and sliding knots slip or are a sod to remove for future us.....Distance sticks or otherwise will give the OP the constant accuracy/reputability he so desires. (y)
Does a piece of pole elastic tied on do the trick? Heard of this being don but never tried it.

Total

Site Supporter
@Silver fan 82 ......Tried with the elastic route mate and ended up with the same conclusions as in my last post....Always wind up back with the distance sticks. (y)

Dusty

Distance sticks are good depending on the situation.
If I’m fishing a large water where bites are slower then I can see the benefit, however in a match type scenario you would waste a ton of valuable time using distance sticks.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If using no1 or no2 elastic for a stop knot tie two next to each other. Make sure they are small enough to go through the eyes on the tip. Or your quiver tip could be pulled from the rod.
If casting to an island then the fish cannot swim away from you but will go left or right so less need to worry.
When you know how far you want to cast then distance sticks are brilliant but write it down as the memory is a fickle thing. Then tie your stop knots.
If casting to open water then using the stop knot method X2 you can if you wish unclip. Casting out the empty feeder away from your fishing area then wind in until you get back to the clip, clip up and wind in rebait and cast, repeat.
As for the actual cast others have given their version on how to catch the feeder in mid air and lower it to the water surface.
Accuracy in casting is best done by always casting the same way. To get distance you need to keep your rod arm straight above your head and pull the butt hand into the same place on your centre chest whilst keeping your eyes on the place you want it to land.
There are a few YouTube's on how to cast.
Look carefully and try to emulate them.
Hope this helps.

Total

Site Supporter
Distance sticks are good depending on the situation.
If I’m fishing a large water where bites are slower then I can see the benefit, however in a match type scenario you would waste a ton of valuable time using distance sticks.

And a ton of 'wasted valuable time' doing it any other way by guessing at said distances, especially in Winter in matches with excessive water disturbances etc. etc.......

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am far from an expert on the method, but for any sort of feeder or lead fishing, if I was clipped up, I’d leave it clipped up. Use 8lb line and you shouldn’t have any problem, definitely no need to unclip you are casting to an island or far bank and I don’t in open water at places like Barston.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I'm still a beginner really only really fished the method this past year and I just keep it clipped up, not cracked off yet and only fish 4lb maxima to catch upto lower doubles.

Trick is to hit the clip with the rod pointed up in the air so you can get some turns back on the reel before it goes in the rest.

Don't try to bully the fish in either, just hold and pull back gently each time so you can get more turns on the reel, keep the rod low so you're not pulling the fish towards the surface until it's close in. That's usually when they go mental and bolt at the surface under the rod tip by which time there's plenty of line back on the reel.

SteveAmo

Does a piece of pole elastic tied on do the trick? Heard of this being don but never tried it.
Yes I use fine pole elastic think from memory it’s Preston No 2’s but I’ve seen “marker elastic” being sold in the carp dept in local Tackle shop.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Yeah at twice the price ! No1 or2 lacky is what I use.
The reason l unclip is l use two swingtip or quiver tip rods at the same time so not safe to keep them clipped up.

Grimberian

Hi Folks,
Huge thanks for all the posts, I really appreciate it.
I will have a look at the way I am casting next time I am out and make sure the rod is over my head to get those extra turns on the reel - that might be a good starting point and I can work in other options from there.
All the best,
Paul

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
The problem I have is consistently getting the "rod in the air" bit right, if you are a little bit out with this then you are either going to be short or usually in the vegetation.