Clipping up when feeder fishing

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Have a second clip 10m past where you are clipped up fishing and count number of turns between the two. Cast in, unclip, if a fish takes the bait, after unhooking the fish cast in to the long clip, count number of turns and clip up. Repeat when neccessary.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Have a second clip 10m past where you are clipped up fishing and count number of turns between the two. Cast in, unclip, if a fish takes the bait, after unhooking the fish cast in to the long clip, count number of turns and clip up. Repeat when neccessary.
Use the same method myself but slightly different. I tend to clip up in 5 metre intervals. So if my starting distance is 60 metres I will clip at 65, 70 75, 80. If the fish back off during the match or session you can follow the fish out but also unclipped if necessary. The best way as one of the previous posters mentions, let the method hit the clip with your Rod in the air, gives you line on the reel for the first run. Never had any issues, last 2 Carp were 22lb 10oz, 18lb 4oz, didn't have to unclip.