Clipping up when feeder fishing

dave brittain 1

I was wondering, as I don't really do that kind of fishing myself, how do the distance Carp match anglers at places like... I think it's called, 'Boddington' do it? I'd presume they clip up with no worries.
You are generally casting long distances, the line stretches and the fish kites and on strong hook lengths you can turn them unlike a river where you may have underwater snags or far bank bushes and vegetation plus the current to contend with.

Total

Site Supporter
I was wondering, as I don't really do that kind of fishing myself, how do the distance Carp match anglers at places like... I think it's called, 'Boddington' do it? I'd presume they clip up with no worries.
Correct they do, but most fishing at Boddington, Barston and the like, clip up, most fishing is at distance on these venues especially in Winter....If I'm carp fishing and the likelihood of a decent fish is a certainty, I'll still clip up on the cast, but remove line from the clip before setting bobbins/alarms etc and re sticking if I have do.....It ain't rocket science mate....(y)

rincon60

I never clip up on a river as you have plenty of markers and aren't casting to a vast amount of open water like on a reservoir. Hit a barbel when clipped up and you're in trouble, smaller fish aren't generally an issue.
this is my feeling (not that we have any barbel left we were are - darn otters), but the match boys all seem to clip up, but I guess mostly they are hitting bream and slivers that dont matter so much

Total

Site Supporter
I never clip up on a river as you have plenty of markers and aren't casting to a vast amount of open water like on a reservoir. Hit a barbel when clipped up and you're in trouble, smaller fish aren't generally an issue.
^^:unsure:.....On stepped up, proper gear and even on a snag, I'll confidently clip up for barbel on a river....(y).....Mind you, I do eat three 'weetabix' in the morning!;):ROFLMAO:

squimp

Site Supporter
Clip up, cast out, mark line (tape, cotton, pole elastic, nail varnish, whatever), unclip.

when it’s time to reel in, set mark on line at right spot (eg by butt ring), re clip, wind in, rebait and recast. Easy.

dave brittain 1

^^:unsure:.....On stepped up, proper gear and even on a snag, I'll confidently clip up for barbel on a river....(y).....Mind you, I do eat three 'weetabix' in the morning!;):ROFLMAO:
Some people can hit the same spot twice ;)Unlike others who like to explore the whole river before clipping up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
You can always mark your like with a bit oftape or pole elastic so the clipping up point is retained if you have to unclip for whatever reason

dave brittain 1

Mr Roberts did say your casting was a bit erratic at times!;):p:ROFLMAO:
It's 1-0 to me with Mr Roberts and Mr Whittle still owes me all his gear from a small bet, so not doing too badly although they'll give me a flogging this year as I'm definitely out of practice and they have had a few years practice while I've been having a rest :ROFLMAO:

Garbolino

Site Supporter
If you do decide to clip up the method using a piece of inner tube descibed by BarryS above is an excellent one - make no mistake - it's simple and solid.

It's also a great way of getting into feeder/method fishing because you will get plenty of casting practice (without huge tackle loss), whilst gaining a good feel for the amount of power you need to put into the rod to cover the required distance.

There are venues and times when clipping up would be a huge mistake of course (like the post from Dave above) but good luck with it.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
A simple slider knot if you don't want to clip up , when you hear it rattling thro the rings stop the line on the reel

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

I never knew Barbel could climb trees. 😳🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve barely tried clipping up on a river. Not because I’m worried about a steaming run (I don’t catch big enough fish for that!) but more because of letting out a bow. Have done it at times when the flow is mega slow but I’m not sure how to do it when it is moving properly. Not clipping doesn’t seem to effect me too much as you aren’t casting that far on rivers so it’s not too difficult to get it in roughly the same area without clipping up. Bit like with creating a sort of column of bait down a line when trotting a river I’ve always assumed (admittedly possibly wrongly) creating an area rather than spot when feeder fishing is probably ok as well so probably don’t need to hit the exact spot. I am very inexperienced with feeder fishing compared to float fishing though so could well be doing it all wrong!

Total

Site Supporter
Very worrying. 🤦🏻‍♂️
chimpface.jpg