Clipping up when casting to an Island.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When you cast to an Island and drop your bait within a foot or so of the bank. If you clip up at that point; when you cast again you hit the clip but then drag your bait away when you are taking up the slack and positioning your rod on the rest. How do you tackle it?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I tighten up AFTER putting the rod on the rests. No doubt others will do it differently. Another way is to keep the line tight but use the backwind when putting the rod on to the rests.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As rd above

Another way is to cast to the island, with your rod pointing at it after the cast and then clip up setting the rod on a rest pointing down the line but angled downwards. A bite will still register but keep hold of your rod

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The basic answer is that you have the rod in the wrong position when hitting the clip. The rod must be behind the rest thus giving you slack to take up without moving the feeder.

It does not matter if the rod is vertical or horizontal but it must not be pointing at the target.

Clem

Site Supporter
Tempted to think there's another advantage of pulling the rod tip up (or sideways) while the feeder is in flight - the rod tip acts as a shock absorber and puts less of a shock loading on the line/clip than you might get hitting the clip with everything 'in line'. Might be my imagination of course....

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Tempted to think there's another advantage of pulling the rod tip up (or sideways) while the feeder is in flight - the rod tip acts as a shock absorber and puts less of a shock loading on the line/clip than you might get hitting the clip with everything 'in line'. Might be my imagination of course....

Yep, i find it absorbs the shock of hitting the clip so feeder lands flat, also not as much of a dead stop so bait doesn't fly off.

Another thing, bring rod vertical or horizontal quickly while the feeder is mid flight, this gives you chance to turn your wrist into Jeremy Corbyn (very limp!) so the feeder doesn't bounce hard back towards you and crash in knocking the bait off.

Seems to be quite a bit of finesse in hitting a clip properly, but i learned in a couple of sessions. If i can anyone can (y) :ROFLMAO:

A good watch is this Preston Innovations DVD with Des Shipp, clipping up starts at around 12:40 in the video.

Last edited:

AdeB

Site Supporter
"Seems to be quite a bit of finesse in hitting a clip properly, but i learned in a couple of sessions. If i can anyone can"

Me too, it makes quite a difference