Clipping up and Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
When legering I clip up on the line holder after I have had a few casts to get the correct distance, but then when casting as the line runs out then hits the clip the terminal tackle springs back towards me. How do I prevent this? Also once i have cast to the clipped line I need to put the rod on to a rest, but this pulls the swimfeeder closer toward me and therefore out of the original area. What should I be doing?
Thanks for your help

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
There are several ways that can help.
Tie on a stopknot of power gum a metre from the rod tip,when you here this rattling through the rings feather the cast so the feeder/bomb hits the water as the line tightens to the clip.
When casting keep the rod tip high and allow it to drop as the cast reaches the required distance.
Tightening to the feeder doesnt mean you have moved it unless you over tighten. Infact moving the feeder would allow the hook length to be straightened and spread the feed slightly. As long as every thing is done consistantly there shouldnt be a problem

chill out go fishing

brady

when you cast out feather the line with your finger or lift the rod sharply near the end of the cast this should slow the ledger down so it doesnt spring back

the devil created work to stop me fishing!

BlythMags

Am I right in saying that bringing the feeder towards you a little (ie: when you place the rod on the rest) allows the hookbait to move over the original spot the feeder was when it hit the bootom and, therefore, the hookbait is now amongst the groundbait / loosefeed dispensed from the feeder?

Am I, aren't I?

Alan G

Dervaig

Once having let everything settle, I do just tweek it back a bit to put the hookbait over the feed.
I do know some that don't, with the idea that the larger fish sometimes hold back on the fringes. Depends on the day I suppose.

Dervaig

MALC

When feeder fishing to a feature (Island or Snag) what i tend to do is have a few cast's with a lead to get the distance then clip up.

Unlike most though i tend to cast to the feature and follow the cast through with the rod so it points straight at the feature.

When the lead has hit the water i then place the rod in the rest and at this point i then clip up.

Then every cast with the feeder just as the feeder is about to hit the water i sweep the rod to the rest and at the point on touch down the rod is already in the rest and positioned.

I use a slider rest and can tell just how far to slide the rod in the rest to make the feeder move to allow the hook bait to be where the feeder was.

Sounds awkward but it's simple once you get used to it.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

MrC

I use the clip as an aid to presenting my bait at the same distant every time, not as a casting aid. You should always try and aim to cast so that it just hits the clip before it hits the water or even when its in the water (when its less than 8ft) that way you will never have problem with spring back. Moving your bait once the feeder is empty is a something im always doing, IMO it helps to induce bites . If you ever see me fishing the tip, im always feeling for fish and twitching the bait. Hope this helps. Mal

Status
Not open for further replies.