Clever bird, never seen this before?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'v been told in the past just how clever Magpies are, but this is amazing. My wife and I are fortunate fo have a decent size garden, full of fruit trees and plants, two ponds and a bird feeding area right under our bedroom window. The bird station is maybe 12 meters away for the window, and under it is a large bird bath that all birds drink and bath in.

For a few days now a Magpie takes bread off the station, and drops it in the bird bath to soften it. He/She eats some then flies away with some in their beak (feeding young I'd guess) How clever is that, and to actually see it makes our day. We also put up two sparrow hotels each with six holes in so twelve holes, we think four are currently being used to raise young. Nature is an amazing thing, maybe why I love fishing so very much? Do you have clever birds?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I’ve met and spoke with that very pleasant lady and believe me I would 😉😉

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'v been told in the past just how clever Magpies are, but this is amazing. My wife and I are fortunate fo have a decent size garden, full of fruit trees and plants, two ponds and a bird feeding area right under our bedroom window. The bird station is maybe 12 meters away for the window, and under it is a large bird bath that all birds drink and bath in.

For a few days now a Magpie takes bread off the station, and drops it in the bird bath to soften it. He/She eats some then flies away with some in their beak (feeding young I'd guess) How clever is that, and to actually see it makes our day. We also put up two sparrow hotels each with six holes in so twelve holes, we think four are currently being used to raise young. Nature is an amazing thing, maybe why I love fishing so very much? Do you have clever birds?

We get this too, not often, and not with Magpies. I've seen it happen at times with Blackbirds. I'll see if I can get a pic of one next time I see it happen.

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
I’ve met and spoke with that very pleasant lady and believe me I would 😉😉
I am sure Wise owl that on the subject of would or would not somebody in a past discussion mention a rolling doughnut not being safe in your vacinity.But on this occassion I think it may get by unscathed :p(y).

breadflake

Site Supporter
We have six bird feeders hanging from some small trees, the wood pigeons used to hang upside down, on one leg or any way they could to get at the seeds
and empty them in no time, so we moved the feeders to the light outermost branches that where only fit for smaller finches to use.
The collared dove/s not sure if it is just the one have learned that by crashing into a feeder causes some seeds to fall to the floor for easy pickings it seems the pigeons haven't twigged this or is it that they know they can just push the smaller doves out of the way.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The magpie will be eating the bread till they can eat all the young chicks and rob all the nest that’s around.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I was told this bird must be old because the hands can't hide their age. What hands ?

Attachments

• hands.jpeg
    hands.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 34

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
Neiva Mara now 34. Instagram millionairess from flashing her bod.
- Not that I'd know such things of course.