Clematis growth rate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ G

Rusty
I have a Clematis in a pot outside my back door and I reckon it must be growing about 6" a day now that it has finally warmed up.
I reckon by the end of next week,I'll be able to do a "Jack in the Beanstalk"!
Is this normal and if so I'm going to stop off at Homebase on the way back from the tackle shop and get another one!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Quite normal.

There are two types of clematis. One that you cut back to ground level each autumn, the other you leave. Sounds like you have got the cut back one. BTW I don't know which is which.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
it is quite normal.

It varies by variety, but some clematis can grow by many metres over the course of a season.

Just remember that the majority of the growth is composed of water - so make sure you dont let it dry out if its a very vigorous plant as that will limit the growth.

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
My wife says its commonly known as A Mile A Minute Clemitis shes got 14 Clemitis in pots and some growing wild at the end of the garden they look great climbing through 20 ft christmas trees and yew trees.Wife thinks the name is Montana.

Minipeace

There are 3 groups of Clematis.
You have the early flowering species, early to mid season (large flowered cultivars) and late (large flowered cultivars).
The early flowering types you should prune after flowering and remove dead stems and damaged stems plus shorten others to their own space.
Early to mid prune back before growth in spring back to strong buds.
Late flowered is the type you prune back all previous years growth to a strong bud about 15cm to 20cm above soil level.
To gain the most out of them all types should have mulch added around base in late winter avaoiding the crown.

Last edited:

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Anyone else now thinking of the sketch from Absolutely - 'Over 80s Disco', "Stimulate her clematis". [:D]

8th clip down on this page.

http://www.absolutelyandy.com/absolutely/videoclips/index.htm

Last edited:

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
Your spot on Minipeace we have a couple that are in flower in the winter.

nobby478

miserable old ....
I always thoght there were 3 types of clematis from the pruning point of view, I suppose 4 if you include the Japonicas ?

I have one destroyed by builders, or so I thought, it's just pushed it's way up from the side of the new patio and is going great guns. Another, eaten by the dog, is making progress too. Yet another, in a tub, that had to be cut from the back of the house is just sprouting from the roots again.

Spring is very compressed this year...there's a joke in there somewhere....[:0].

matty198111

Originally posted by lurkio

Anyone else now thinking of the sketch from Absolutely - 'Over 80s Disco', "Stimulate her clematis". [:D]

classic well done mate

made me laugh
give it abit of the old [:p] and you cant go wrong

Minipeace

Nobby the Japonica is the Chaenomeles and is not a member of the Clematis family.
These tend to flower early. They are also known as Flowering Quince and Japanese Quince.
They also produce fruits which can be cooked. The Japonica is also sometimes called the Maule's Quince.

Last edited:

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by matty198111

Originally posted by lurkio

classic well done mate

made me laugh
give it abit of the old [:p] and you cant go wrong

I used to love that series. [:T]

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
Old Mans Beard we used to cut and smoke as kids is a wild form of this plant, Old Holborn tasted better.

stikflote

Site Supporter
i have a kerry Japonica, so does my neighbour ,his is a mass of flowers mine ,only has a few

i trimmed mine last backend, but now been told you should not clip it

Minipeace

Originally posted by stikflote

i have a kerry Japonica, so does my neighbour ,his is a mass of flowers mine ,only has a few

i trimmed mine last backend, but now been told you should not clip it

You need to prune it after it flowers.
For a shrub you cut back the flowered shoots to strong buds. You can also cut back to young lower or basal growth. If its well established you can cut back about one quarter to one fifth of old shoots to the base which will promote new growth.

If its being trained to a wall its a little different. you cut back after flowering if its flowering on previous years growth or you cut it back in late winter or early spring if flowering on current years growth.
It sounds like you cut off the flowering growth which means this year you will not get a good show of flowers. The golden rule is never cut the plant right back in one go and if it does require a drastic cut its then best to do it over a 3 year period.
To produce more flowers if training then spur-pruning will create or stimulate flowering. Its the sideshoots that need a gentle prune back to 2 or 3 buds to increase the flowering.

Last edited:

nobby478

miserable old ....
Originally posted by oldtart

Old Mans Beard we used to cut and smoke as kids is a wild form of this plant, Old Holborn tasted better.

Bloody Hell, so did we...we called it Wiffin. Tasted like sh*t !

Russ G

Rusty
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Quite normal.

There are two types of clematis. One that you cut back to ground level each autumn, the other you leave. Sounds like you have got the cut back one. BTW I don't know which is which.
Well we've been here five years and in the Spring I hacked it back to the soil as it looked scraggy and since I posted this the other day I've tried to train it down the trellis and shoots keep sprouting upwards and it ain't my down to my Alan Tichmarsh book!

Status
Not open for further replies.