Clear water

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
the lad in the tackle shop always used to tell me I should just go to Merry Hill and chuck a feeder out in the 'Marina'. :LOL: Urban fishing.
You should give canal marinas a go if you’ve got some nearby. I fish 3 Marina stretches near me and they fish far more consistently than other stretches I’ve tried. Guess partly more water means more space for more fish but also there’s always a few boats moving to keep the water coloured and of course people living in them keeps it warmer as well. They even fish surprisingly well in the warmer months if you can fish at times when there aren’t too many boats. Tend to hold good sized fish as well rather than just stereotypical canal blades. The recent Jon Arthur canal bream episode was at one of those 3 marinas.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You should give canal marinas a go if you’ve got some nearby. I fish 3 Marina stretches near me and they fish far more consistently than other stretches I’ve tried. Guess partly more water means more space for more fish but also there’s always a few boats moving to keep the water coloured and of course people living in them keeps it warmer as well. They even fish surprisingly well in the warmer months if you can fish at times when there aren’t too many boats. Tend to hold good sized fish as well rather than just stereotypical canal blades. The recent Jon Arthur canal bream episode was at one of those 3 marinas.
Sounds like you have a few good spots and your catches from there are better than anything I used to have back in the day in club matches. (y) Merry Hill is a shopping centre though, it would be nightmare and you'd likely get ruffians having a nose at your tackle. My nieces love going there but it's a bit hectic for me, though have had a few jobs in the residential flats that are above the shopping centre.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like you have a few good spots and your catches from there are better than anything I used to have back in the day in club matches. (y) Merry Hill is a shopping centre though, it would be nightmare and you'd likely get ruffians having a nose at your tackle. My nieces love going there but it's a bit hectic for me, though have had a few jobs in the residential flats that are above the shopping centre.
Well they’re good by canal standards but still very hit and miss compared to the river and most Stillwaters round here. Does sound a bit too lively that. Are there any other marinas by you? Almost every village on the canal here has one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well they’re good by canal standards but still very hit and miss compared to the river and most Stillwaters round here. Does sound a bit too lively that. Are there any other marinas by you? Almost every village on the canal here has one.
There is one but it's not BAA. No fishing. Does look good there.

derwentboy

It was good that John Arthur video wasn’t it? I really enjoy his videos, it’s like you are fishing with him.

rudd

Site Supporter
It's interesting but I've never heard of anyone doing that on local canals before.
Back when running matches, during winter league a good few members always complained about one old timer.
He would set up quickly, plumb up, then sit and have a cup of tea.
Ten minutes before whistle he would replumb lines with a heavier plummet and just gently drag it side to side until whistle blew.
He would then quickly fish close lines in quick succession and generally catch a few Small Perch attracted by puffs of silt off each line before going on further out lines.
Them few quickly caught Perch helped him obtain many brown envelopes in matches won or framed in by ounces. As technically he was just plumbing up couldnt even give him a warning.

One successful Perch method I use in winter is twitching a bait along bottom - including lures at times.
The lead or weighted jig hook causes a small puff of debris catching the Perch attention.
Even when not hungry the little puffs of debris/silt and movement of bait triggers aggression causing the Perch to attack bait.

On your clear shallow canal maybe a light bomb rod with a lead link of mono with a few shot clipped on (thinking about possible snags) and a mobile approach may work, working sections by casting along and across at 45% angle and slowly twitching a bait?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Haha. Sounds like cheating in a match. That's one of my problems, as I can see the roving approach might catch a few, but I want to fish with a pole and how I used to do in matches. But I always remember that come November everyone would switch to B&J and you wouldn't get a bite on squatt and pinkie. Even before then when it was warmer it was always Squatt and Pinkie and big maggot were generally out of the question. Now it seems there are a few more bigger fish about, things have changed.

buygoodtackle

On a clear canal if you are using a pole you need to have a lot more line between float and pole tip so you do not have the pole near where you are fishing. I will sometimes have 3-4ft of line which gives me the space to not spook the fish and as long as you keep the line between pole and float fairly straight striking is not an issue. Also the clear water is when chopped worm comes into its own. Very finely chopped worms (1-2mm pieces) are a must and trying different thicknesses of worms is required- sometimes the same length of worm (2cm) but thinner or fatter can produce a bite when all else fails.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On a clear canal if you are using a pole you need to have a lot more line between float and pole tip so you do not have the pole near where you are fishing. I will sometimes have 3-4ft of line which gives me the space to not spook the fish and as long as you keep the line between pole and float fairly straight striking is not an issue. Also the clear water is when chopped worm comes into its own. Very finely chopped worms (1-2mm pieces) are a must and trying different thicknesses of worms is required- sometimes the same length of worm (2cm) but thinner or fatter can produce a bite when all else fails.
All good advice mate. But in this case I had the feeling there were just no fish there in the first place, so doubt I'll be going back. I reckon could have fished worm and joker and still not attracted any fish.

RMNDIL

Back when running matches, during winter league a good few members always complained about one old timer.
He would set up quickly, plumb up, then sit and have a cup of tea.
Ten minutes before whistle he would replumb lines with a heavier plummet and just gently drag it side to side until whistle blew.
I'm amazed anyone ever queried it. It's before the match. You can throw in weed rakes & ice breakers - even during a match.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No one was smart enough to try something like that in matches I fished, should it work.

rudd

Site Supporter
I'm amazed anyone ever queried it. It's before the match. You can throw in weed rakes & ice breakers - even during a match.
Certain members liked to snipe at others about any thing, including their poor drawing arm and inability to fish certain pegs - of which blamed me as match Secretary for putting pegs in.

The angler in question knew his craft and I expect jealousy played a big part in complaints.