Clear water

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My recent attempt on the local canal got me thinking about water clarity again. I cupped my liquidised bread in down the boat track, the deepest part of the canal at about 3', and could see the bread on the bottom. If I stood up, I could see my punch hookbait on the bottom. Too clear for me and so I only gave it 30 minutes and packed up. Saying that we always used to fish canals in winter, I can remember them being obviously clear, but don't recall having only 3' down the track. It means for me, my local canal isn't really a viable venue as you'd have to have at least a bit of boat traffic and colour to stand a chance of catching.

2021-11-18 11.57.14.jpg
2021-11-18 11.57.09.jpg

IanG1

Site Supporter
My local Erewash Canal is like this most of the year, I was fishing bread at the foot of the far shelf a few years back and a swan just put its arse in the air and scooped up all me feed and I don't bother anymore. The Trent & Mersey also local seems to hold more colour and is my winter canal venue now

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Being so shallow when a boat comes through on this one it kicks up a big cloud of silt/mud that lingers for about 5 minutes.

alsur

Site Supporter
My local Canal Basingstoke is Crystal clear see bottom everywhere very few boats come through.

I remember fishing match on Grand Union and most people were blanking until a boat came through and coloured up the water.

IanG1

Site Supporter
The Erewash is full of fish, I walk it on my lunch break most days but are easily spooked as you pass. They catch some big tench and perch in summer matches mostly on worm tight to the weed that blooms due to the water clarity in the warm months. Waste of time come winter, it becomes rock hard. Only anglers you see are chucking a lure for the predators who have thrived in the clear water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Which canal is it Zerkalo?
Staffs/Worcs at Caunsall. Can fish ok sometimes, but can also be rock hard, last club match I heard of at the same time last year just down the road was won with 4oz.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Erewash is full of fish, I walk it on my lunch break most days but are easily spooked as you pass. They catch some big tench and perch in summer matches mostly on worm tight to the weed that blooms due to the water clarity in the warm months. Waste of time come winter, it becomes rock hard. Only anglers you see are chucking a lure for the predators who have thrived in the clear water.
Yeah there's loads of Pike and Pike anglers on this canal.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Try a dye to make the liccy darker, a white background will make the fish stand out to predators, and the fish will avoid it.

rudd

Site Supporter
Would running a small rake through work if chucked right across tight on far bank then worked back?

Robwooly

Sometimes the clearness needs to be used to your advantage, it's great for spotting fish, learning where they go where they hide and the confidence it gives you knowing they are actually there is unparelled, there's nothing worse than staring at seemingly empty water after all.

I can understand why matches struggle in clear water when a dozen or so chatty guys rock up, throw nets out and assemble platforms etc but when on your own there's no reason not to adopt the same stealthy approach you would use on a small river. I do ok on my canal in winter despite not using fine lines just by just creeping into position, sometimes after spotting fish first, it really does give you an edge over those who don't or can't.

JLK

When I team fished I got told under no circumstances to talk to anyone near my peg. Basically get to the peg. Sit down set up and put your hood up.
If someone started to come over to you tell them to back off. Even if they were mates as it's a well known tactic to screw an anglers peg up in winter.
@Zerkalo Fish are used to whatever volume of water they have to live in.
Is your canal weedy on the inside far shelves?

RMNDIL

I remember fishing match on Grand Union and most people were blanking until a boat came through and coloured up the water.
Very often the case. Same on Aylesbury Arm & Oxford & K&A. Sometimes I take a large weed rake. If it's dead for everyone, and I mean dead, then it goes in several times or more and makes a proper mess and a proper cloud. Sit down, start again and then very often catch straight away (same as with a boat going through or breaking the ice) . I'm sure there are fish there but are just sat doing nothing, scared to move. With 2kg of weed rake they move ! Balling in large balls of neat leam was also a tactic. As in 10 - 15 like it's a river. For others it looks odd !!!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Look for cover. Moored boats, overhanging trees and bridges are all worth looking at. In my experience though a gin clear canal once the water has cooled down is going to be rock hard. It’s tough enough in the middle of Summer without colour. When I fished the GUC we knew before the start when we were likely to blank just by looking at the water clarity. As the years went by though, boats were an all year round thing so it used to stay quite coloured.
I can remember fishing a canal down the bottom of the hill near Brierly Hill, Robin Hood pub?, long time ago anyway. We found a tree covered section of this tiny canal and it was solid with fish. Where it was clear was devoid apart from the odd big Carp.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The area itself isn't too bad really, just quite a skyline with the flats, my mate has just bought his first house there.

smiffy

Site Supporter
The area itself isn't too bad really, just quite a skyline with the flats, my mate has just bought his first house there.
Apart from the Severn I mainly remember the chaos of Merry (Hell) Hill. My old man used to live in Hagley, which was even better for the Severn👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Apart from the Severn I mainly remember the chaos of Merry (Hell) Hill. My old man used to live in Hagley, which was even better for the Severn👍
Hagley's just down the road from me near Stourbridge. (y) Funnily enough I was just about to mention Merry Hill, as every time I used to go in the tackle shop to buy Bream bait for Patshull Park, the lad in the tackle shop always used to tell me I should just go to Merry Hill and chuck a feeder out in the 'Marina'. :LOL: Urban fishing. :LOL: Apparently some big Pike in there too.