clear canal

stickfloatkev

hi all. after planning to fish a local stretch of canal next week on a long awaited day off work , the canal , due to lack of boats and the recent frosts has gone really clear . has anyone got any tips\advice on fishing the cut in these conditions . the canal is the bham/worcester . thanks in advance

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From my limited canal knowledge them being clear in the summer won't be the problem it can be in the winter. The fish should be active enough that you'll see them so you'll know roughly where to fish so you can then almost go about it in the same way as you would on a slow river.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I found the Calder & Hebble canal at Brighouse gin clear the only time I fished it. Won the match feeding a very sloppy, liquid groundbait that clouded the water. A few pinkies and squatt in the mix with pinkie/squatt on the hook. That took me a reasonable (on the day) net of silvers. The clincher though was taking a 2lb tench on chopped worm from the far shelf.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I would go along with Neil using Sensas canal black as a cloud and squatt as feed and on the hook with pinkies for a change bait.
Caster on the far shelf over some hemp as well.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We used to fish the Montgomery Canal at Abermule which was disused, shallow & gin clear. You could see shoals of big roach swimming past. I didn't own a pole then & used to fish a crystal waggler but I'd cast a few yards downstream (or upstream) from where I was sitting & caught some real beauties on caster.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d fish the punch. I would use crumb rather than liquidised though. If you can get it.
Feed tiny amounts and fish the last 12” strung out 12 shot. Slop and squatt is the other option if you can get squatt. Bread is easy to get though👍

stickfloatkev

I’d fish the punch. I would use crumb rather than liquidised though. If you can get it.
Feed tiny amounts and fish the last 12” strung out 12 shot. Slop and squatt is the other option if you can get squatt. Bread is easy to get though👍
thanks for that mate . very helpful