cleaning cork handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
l have just bought an old rod off a mate but the cork handle is looking pretty grubby, so before l start cleaning itl thought l would ask if anybody has got a good method without damaging the cork or what is the best cleaning material to use.
cheers

gorstyman

Put it over the bath and squirt some Fairy Liquid all over the cork . Get a stiff scrubbing brush as Karl says and give it a good scrubbing followed by a good rinse off with warm water. Used to make and repair rods for several shops yrs ago and this was how i cleaned the handles up.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Grubby handles give rods character though[:p]

Mine just wouldn't look the same without the half-inch of mouldy groundbait and bream slime that adorns it[:D]

Simon

pa59ul

DON'T even think of scrubbin it! been there, done that! go down to your local netto, aldi, or whateber, and get the cheapest can, or spray bottle, of bath room cleaner. give it a good soaking with this, and leave for half an hour or so. Rinse off, wiping gently with an old dishcloth or sponge, to get the worst of the gloop off, then repeat the dose. this will then dry off, looking like new, without the danger of damaging the cork.

nobby478

miserable old ....
As most of you know I do old rods up for a hobby. I've propably done up over a hundred rods now, some of them over 60 years old, some of them with varnished cork handles[:0]

Just get a clean piece of rag, dip it in white spirit, then drag the dirt off with it.

Finish with a clean cloth and just keep pulling it down to drag the dirt out. Wet it again if it's still dirty and use a clean cloth to drag the dirt out again.

Two goes like this will remove 50 years worth of groundbait, sweat and sh*t in about 2 minutes. Honest !

If you've got mould, crumbling cork or holes in the cork it's all fixable too.

greentura

Greenie
i always start with warm soapy water and a non stick pan cleaning sponge. just let it soak for a few minutes firs and don't rub too hard if the cork starts to crumble, as nobby said, it can be repaired. not a fan of using solvents and spirits on old rods, especially on the varnished cork.

may be not the best thing to do if it's a rare or classic rod but sometimes the cork is so poor under the dirt that i strip off the cork and start again if it's going to be kept for my use[;)]

Why clean it at all[?][?][?]
Grubby cork handle gives your rod a certain amount of character[;)]

nutmeg

Site Supporter
did what gorstyman suggested and the handle as come up brilliantly, l was not over zealous and the handle is in good condition, it was just grubby.

greentura

Greenie
Originally posted by Buck Taylor

hope you don't think the same about underware[:0]

Last edited:
Originally posted by greentura

Originally posted by Buck Taylor

hope you don't think the same about underware[:0]