Claygate lakes, Kent

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Bit of a mission mate but then again you have some cracking fisheries up your way.
Nothing near me, you may be thinking of Wallingford ? I'm in the borough of Sutton, nearest fishery is probably The Thames, or maybe if you're brave, you could tackle Mitcham common. The Wandle is quite close and can throw up some good catches, but it needs lots of rain, otherwise it's hard

Silver fan 82

Nothing near me, you may be thinking of Wallingford ? I'm in the borough of Sutton, nearest fishery is probably The Thames, or maybe if you're brave, you could tackle Mitcham common. The Wandle is quite close and can throw up some good catches, but it needs lots of rain, otherwise it's hard
I'm probably mistaken then mate.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It's very dry round here, there are rivers and lakes within 15 miles, but SW London traffic is a 'mare. When I was going to Farnham waters, it would take me twice as long to do the first 5 miles as it took to do the last 15 or so. Not been too bad when fishing started after lockdown, could get to Beaver in about 30-40 minutes, but recently it's going back to the hour plus journey. I wouldn't mind a trek to a special place, such as The Royalty, but for a few hours on a commercial is off putting. I don't hate driving, just hate traffic.

Silver fan 82

It's very dry round here, there are rivers and lakes within 15 miles, but SW London traffic is a 'mare. When I was going to Farnham waters, it would take me twice as long to do the first 5 miles as it took to do the last 15 or so. Not been too bad when fishing started after lockdown, could get to Beaver in about 30-40 minutes, but recently it's going back to the hour plus journey. I wouldn't mind a trek to a special place, such as The Royalty, but for a few hours on a commercial is off putting. I don't hate driving, just hate traffic.
I know what you mean, I drive for a living but hate traffic lol!
Coincidentally I've been thinking about fishing Beaver.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Maybe not then!
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, it is probably a combination of the weather and the sudden influx of anglers, from being left for months, then all of a sudden being rammed full nearly every day for the next two months. I also think I got a bit lax and fished it the easy way, not really putting any effort into it. By scaling down to an 18 and .11mm bottom worked well at Claygate, whereas I had been using big baits on 14 to .14/.16 bottom, which may have been a factor at Beaver, though I wasn't the only one to struggle. I have faith in the place, and will be back soon. Beaver isn't one of these carp a chuck places (unless you go on Jeffs), when you do catch, it could be anything.

Silver fan 82

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, it is probably a combination of the weather and the sudden influx of anglers, from being left for months, then all of a sudden being rammed full nearly every day for the next two months. I also think I got a bit lax and fished it the easy way, not really putting any effort into it. By scaling down to an 18 and .11mm bottom worked well at Claygate, whereas I had been using big baits on 14 to .14/.16 bottom, which may have been a factor at Beaver, though I wasn't the only one to struggle. I have faith in the place, and will be back soon.
I definitely agree that the weather and alot more anglers on the Bank has had an affect on the fishing but not for the better. In a way I'm looking forward to the autumn /winter to see how things go.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I definitely agree that the weather and alot more anglers on the Bank has had an affect on the fishing but not for the better. In a way I'm looking forward to the autumn /winter to see how things go.
Me too. The friends I go with are fair weather anglers, they only took it up after retiring. We used to take it in turns to drive, 3 in a car, but that's gone out the window now, so all go in our own cars. They have never fished a river, I can't wait to get back on them, so as it gets colder, they wont fish any more and there wont be so many "civilians" out on the river, so that will be my fishing for the next few months after.

Silver fan 82

Me too. The friends I go with are fair weather anglers, they only took it up after retiring. We used to take it in turns to drive, 3 in a car, but that's gone out the window now, so all go in our own cars. They have never fished a river, I can't wait to get back on them, so as it gets colder, they wont fish any more and there wont be so many "civilians" out on the river, so that will be my fishing for the next few months after.
I tend to gravitate more towards the rivers in winter, I hope that they are more fishable than last winter what with all the rain we had.

davej1981

In my last job one of my colleagues was from sutton, he said there was a free stretch on the wandle nearby where he used to get a few carp and barbel

TrickyD

Site Supporter
In my last job one of my colleagues was from sutton, he said there was a free stretch on the wandle nearby where he used to get a few carp and barbel
There are a few notable bits, sadly, Sutton council have banned fishing in a lot of places, Mill Lane/River Gardens was a good spot, you'd see shoals of roach, some over 1lb, and carp seen basking there, and it may be the area a kid had a 11lb barbel from a few years ago. Apart from the bans, the river also has to put up with pollution on a regular basis. A few people fly fish it, it is a chalk stream, and was famous centuries ago as a trout fishery, Lord Nelson is said to have fished it. Further along into Merton and Wandsworth the river has deeper spots, but access is difficult, as is parking, and the litter and other rubbish dumped in it and on the banks is disgusting.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Back on Eva today, rammed solid as I think Sophie was shut. Fished the same method as last time, was slower, but fish seemed a better stamp, and as last week, had a tench right at the end, about 2lb. Considering there was at least one match at the weekend, it fished ok, probably 50-60lb of fish.Now need it to get cooler and pee down so I can get on Lake Thames.

ATTICUS FINCH

Back on Eva today, rammed solid as I think Sophie was shut. Fished the same method as last time, was slower, but fish seemed a better stamp, and as last week, had a tench right at the end, about 2lb. Considering there was at least one match at the weekend, it fished ok, probably 50-60lb of fish.Now need it to get cooler and pee down so I can get on Lake Thames.
What peg did you fish? I was on 28 Sunday and had 48 pound, most of which were on corn over 4mm hard pellet and corn

dave the fish

Site Supporter
There were 2 matches over the weekend @TrickyD. Everyone seemed to catch on different things on our match on Saturday. Winner caught on 6mm pellet over 4s, (he had a couple of tench too) 2nd had to switch to feeding ground bait to catch late, 3rd was on peg 23 and used corn tight to the island. I had a couple of proper carp to 6lb in my catch on 6mm expander pellet from peg 20.
Like a lot of fisheries lately it has been very busy and under constant pressure since the end of lockdown.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
What peg did you fish? I was on 28 Sunday and had 48 pound, most of which were on corn over 4mm hard pellet and corn
There were 2 matches over the weekend @TrickyD. Everyone seemed to catch on different things on our match on Saturday. Winner caught on 6mm pellet over 4s, (he had a couple of tench too) 2nd had to switch to feeding ground bait to catch late, 3rd was on peg 23 and used corn tight to the island. I had a couple of proper carp to 6lb in my catch on 6mm expander pellet from peg 20.
Like a lot of fisheries lately it has been very busy and under constant pressure since the end of lockdown.
I was on peg 32, middle of the small island, I was on peg 24 last week. I think every peg was taken on that bank, most were having a few fish.Most fell to corn, fed pellet and a few grains of corn, had a couple of lumps on soft hookers, but was getting really finicky bites on them.