Claygate lakes, Kent

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Fished here a few times, nice fairly easy commercial, but today I took my old Milo pole out of retirement. Must be 8 years since I used a pole, decided to fish the pole as bites can be hard to hit cleanly on the wag, lots of missed bites or foul hooked fish. Only elasticated 1 kit, 8-10 Middy hi viz, Middy carpbuster 3 x 9 (shot) carbon stem float. .12 line to .11 bottom with size 18 B611 (fish not too big, mainly), fishing a swim about 2' deep @ 8mtrs. Soon got back into the swing of things, started on banded pellet, then onto corn and started getting better fish. Ended up with over 40 carp from 2 - 5lb and one small tench. Only hook change was when the stonfo opened and I lost the whole rig, hardly foul hooked any until late afternoon when they all started to come up for the feed,not just my swim, but loads on the surface all over as it warmed up. Enjoyed fishing the pole again, and 3 things I discovered, 1, I need a side puller, 2, my new Sonik landing net head is far too deep. and 3, I shouldn't have sold my old Milo box as could have done with a spray bar.

Silver fan 82

Fished here a few times, nice fairly easy commercial, but today I took my old Milo pole out of retirement. Must be 8 years since I used a pole, decided to fish the pole as bites can be hard to hit cleanly on the wag, lots of missed bites or foul hooked fish. Only elasticated 1 kit, 8-10 Middy hi viz, Middy carpbuster 3 x 9 (shot) carbon stem float. .12 line to .11 bottom with size 18 B611 (fish not too big, mainly), fishing a swim about 2' deep @ 8mtrs. Soon got back into the swing of things, started on banded pellet, then onto corn and started getting better fish. Ended up with over 40 carp from 2 - 5lb and one small tench. Only hook change was when the stonfo opened and I lost the whole rig, hardly foul hooked any until late afternoon when they all started to come up for the feed,not just my swim, but loads on the surface all over as it warmed up. Enjoyed fishing the pole again, and 3 things I discovered, 1, I need a side puller, 2, my new Sonik landing net head is far too deep. and 3, I shouldn't have sold my old Milo box as could have done with a spray bar.
I used to fish Claygate regularly, but not fished there in a while. Always was good for a few fish there.
Sounds like you had a good session. Which lake were you fishing?

Total

Site Supporter
@TrickyD ....I take it from your lake description you fished Lake Eva?....Read like a nice day....(y)

ATTICUS FINCH

I have a match on Eva this Sunday, we should have been at Gabriel's but a look by one of the match stewards yesterday decided that it's not fit for purpose so now it's Eva at Claygate. Not fished or seen it before so I'm completely in the dark about it . But reading the op it looks like a pellet and corn attack and try to get them up in the water.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a match on Eva this Sunday, we should have been at Gabriel's but a look by one of the match stewards yesterday decided that it's not fit for purpose so now it's Eva at Claygate. Not fished or seen it before so I'm completely in the dark about it . But reading the op it looks like a pellet and corn attack and try to get them up in the water.
I think most baits will work, the corn seemed to get a bigger size of fish. Always caught there, it's just I used the pole instead of the waggler and had a better fish to bite ratio, waggler fishing I was foul hooking or missing loads. My mates were on the method feeder, caught a few as well. What was wrong with Gabriels?

Silver fan 82

Only ever fished Eva on pleasure sessions, pellet and corn always worked well for me but this was some years ago. I believe its under new management since I last fished there.
Its quite narrow, typical snake lake so well suited to the pole or only a short chuck on the waggler or feeder. It always was a well stocked lake and was always good for lots of bites.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Only ever fished Eva on pleasure sessions, pellet and corn always worked well for me but this was some years ago. I believe its under new management since I last fished there.
Its quite narrow, typical snake lake so well suited to the pole or only a short chuck on the waggler or feeder. It always was a well stocked lake and was always good for lots of bites.
Only been going a couple of years to here, but in that time they've put new bogs in, also a food shack and a small tackle shop, though not sure they'll be open on a Sunday. Shop probably sells all the floats that festoon the shrubbery like Christmas decorations, they go out in a boat to do a bit of gardening every now and again.

Silver fan 82

Only been going a couple of years to here, but in that time they've put new bogs in, also a food shack and a small tackle shop, though not sure they'll be open on a Sunday. Shop probably sells all the floats that festoon the shrubbery like Christmas decorations, they go out in a boat to do a bit of gardening every now and again.
it sounds like its changed for the better from what I hear. Not that it was ever bad. I always enjoyed it there despite the tree decorations lol!

dave the fish

Site Supporter
We have a match on Eva on Saturday Bill. You can check out our results on Simplematchfishing.com under the Marsh AC section.
The results go back several years and we fish it once a year so you can get an idea of how it fishes.

ATTICUS FINCH

We have a match on Eva on Saturday Bill. You can check out our results on Simplematchfishing.com under the Marsh AC section.
The results go back several years and we fish it once a year so you can get an idea of how it fishes.
Thanks Dave will have a look and expect a match report from you Saturday night 👍

ATTICUS FINCH

I think most baits will work, the corn seemed to get a bigger size of fish. Always caught there, it's just I used the pole instead of the waggler and had a better fish to bite ratio, waggler fishing I was foul hooking or missing loads. My mates were on the method feeder, caught a few as well. What was wrong with Gabriels?
Gabriel's as far as I can make out is in a pretty poor state ,not a lot of work has been done over the vivid period and apparently the water level is quite low ,meaning some pegs are only just over a foot deep

Total

Site Supporter
Gabriel's as far as I can make out is in a pretty poor state ,not a lot of work has been done over the vivid period and apparently the water level is quite low ,meaning some pegs are only just over a foot deep
I guess your talking about the match lake Bill? ....Bloody nightmare I'm afraid:(.....You need to fish to cover over there....Extensive reeds etc etc.....Tackle losses galore, even on the 'riot gear'......

ATTICUS FINCH

I guess your talking about the match lake Bill? ....Bloody nightmare I'm afraid:(.....You need to fish to cover over there....Extensive reeds etc etc.....Tackle losses galore, even on the 'riot gear'......
Yes mate ,I was told it's not worth the hassle,we get free fishing there as part of a deal the club has with Gabriel's,but I don't think it will be persuading me to give it a go.
Roll on Claygate this Sunday,

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Orchard place is about half mile from Claygate, they have about 11 lakes, fished it once, caught OK, but it didn't float my boat. It would be good for matches though.

ATTICUS FINCH

Fished orchard once ,it was a match back in July on lake ten I think it was , it's a bit cramped for space between some of the lakes .

Silver fan 82

Orchard place is about half mile from Claygate, they have about 11 lakes, fished it once, caught OK, but it didn't float my boat. It would be good for matches though.
Had a walk round a while back, didn't float my boat.
Hartleylands near Hawkhurst is always worth a go.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Problem is , most of these lakes are a 90 minute drive on a good day, took my mate 3 hours to get from Claygate lakes to Sutton on tuesday .