Clayfield Fishery

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
So myself and my Bro went for a days fishing on the tip at a new venue for us, we fished the Bridge pool after chatting to a few of his team mates and two of them popped along for the day as well as there is no match fishing and we all fancied doing something a little different!

So his two team mates have fished there before and there is a good head of skimmers and bream in the lake, its only small but its muddy as hell with thick clogging clay! we picked 4 swims all a decent distance apart and we all walked off to our chosen swim, i was the last peg and furthest around the lake, next to me was Jamie (who ive never met before) then my brother Alan and finally Chris who picked his swim as the wind was hurling into it yesterday and he had seen fish topping when he popped over for a look, he of course told us this once we all chose our swims!

So i had 2* 10ft light feeder rods set up, one traditional with cage feeder and 2ft to 4ft tail, the other was a shovel feeder and 4" hooklength as there are plenty of carp in here so wasnt sure what would work as never been. 3 second count with a 1oz Bomb at 30meters and then the same out to 50meters so decided on 30m. On went my big cage feeder as it was cold and frosty for a few days prior but today as lovely sunshine and almost non existent wind! and i was going to be cautious! Jamie next to me started with a big feeder and 10 really quick cast to get some bait in the water so will be interesting to see what happened.

No indications for any of us for 10 minutes, i had two casts with the big feeder then changed to a little cage feeder, i had a mix of F1 dark and light groundbait and soaked 2mm micros with some pinkies and a pint of reds with a few worms as change hookbait, my thinking was pellets are nearly always used on commercials and i love using a mix of groundbait and pellets in the feeder.

1st chuck with the small feeder and a little tap and a little 3oz roach was brought in, next chuck i let the feeder land and gave it a minute and then gave the reel a half turn of the handle, as i was fishing a 2ft tail and double red maggot, then 45 seconds and another twitch and had a decent tug and a little 6oz skimmer was landed, have found this before in colder water where you have to keep twitching the bait to get a bite and over the next hour i had a dozen skimmers all between 6 and 12oz, mostly by twitching the bait, Jamie next to me was struggling as he wasnt twitching so i told him what i was doing and he too started to catch skimmers and roach but not as fast and his were mostly roach same as my brother, he was catching roach and the main thing i think was i had micros and they didnt.

as this wasnt serious fishing i was messing about to see what i could learn for future so i stopped mixing micros in the feeder and sure enough the skimmers stopped, i could still catch but it was roach and my changing to a 4ft link and squeezing the feeder less i caught some lovely roach up to just under a 1lb on the drop mainly. Into the 3rd hour and as soon as imixed micros back in i had skimmers again and i caught a better stamp on a whole worm so i tried to force it and put much more micros and maggots into the feeder, i even went back to the bigger feeder but that just caused loads of missed bites or losing fish with the feeder swinging and i was sitting on worms hoping for a bream as i had by now skimmers up to 1lb 8oz.

Had three amazing wrap rounds, two i simply lifted into nothing but the 3rd i had a nice heavy weight on and a slow fight with nodding so really thought i had my bream on but will never know as half way in the hook pulled (lovely line of slime up the hooklength), spent the 4hr messing around again as i was thoroughly enjoying myself, 3 red maggots def got the better skimmers as well, and at teh end i had 30 skimmers and 7 roach, jamie had 12 skimmers and 13 roach, Brother had 60 roach and 7 skimmers and i cant remember what chris had.

The weather was fantastic with bright sunshine and no wind but not condusive for bream fishing lol, 4 carp anglers across from us didnt have any runs but 1 of them had fun with his spomb and god knows what he was feeding but the gulls, coots and any other birdlife loved whatever was floating off it!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice write up and sounds like a good day. I love feeder fishing at this time of year and have found similar results with the micros.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
was a brilliant day and really missed tip fishing for silvers, not done it for years, was great meeting Jamie and had a nice natter all day, even a bloke wandering around we had a nice chat for 20 mins though stopped me fishing lol

Birtleyheed

Enjoyable read that. Love a bit of groundbait feeder fishing during autumn/winter for principally roach and skimmers. Been having some decent pleasure sessions over last few weekly trips using a mix of krill mix with a bit of couscous and chinese spice added. Roach in particular seem to love it and usually snare a few carp later in a session. Still get that buzz every single time that tip goes round !