Classical Music

Zerkalo

I was going to post a thread either on Jazz music or maybe a list your top 5 music genres but today I'm more in a classical mood, must be something about Autumn drawing in.

Anyone here into classical music. I have a book British composers and the countryside which is kind of naff, though I think Britain has had a few good composers, not much compared to continental counterparts, but some of your favourites might include the choral music of Tallis, The Lark Ascending, or maybe some Holst? Though don't just stick to British choices...

Zerkalo

I'm also really into film music and you might recognise this from Hans Zimmer's score to the war film The Thin Red Line.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Love a bit of popular classic... specially film & tv themes... also quite like Sansone, Gershwin, Grieg and Wagner

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
not so much classical but i do love solo Pianists and really loving Alexis Ffrench recently

Zerkalo

Love a bit of popular classic... specially film & tv themes... also quite like Sansone, Gershwin, Grieg and Wagner

I like the classics and modern stuff too! Most of it finds it's way into film music which was partly how I got really in to it.

There's a film called Lessons of Darkness about the Gulf War that uses Grieg and Wagner to good effect. It has Siegfried's Funeral March, one of Wagner's darkest, set to shots of the Oil Fields on fire. And also uses a favourite from Grieg, other than the Alton Towers theme!

Sansone is a new one to me? I love Gershwin songs in particular, and have a few faves. Someone to Watch Over Me, and have Ella sings Gerswhin.

Zerkalo

not so much classical but i do love solo Pianists and really loving Alexis Ffrench recently

Players usually come up when classical music is mentioned, I don't really have any favourites, only composers and pieces and usually struggle to tell the difference between a bad player and a good one on most pieces, most of them who can play seem to be of a good standard. Will check that one out!

Zerkalo

Classical is not for me.

Most of the stuff played on Classic FM bores me to tears. I also don't really like much Baroque stuff or Bach, and only ever listened to a few full blown Romantic Symphonies in full. Modern stuff has loads of variety though.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
im modern classical to be fair, and def check out Alexis Ffrench, he is fabulous and im def up for more suggestions of modern solo pianist if people have any

Zerkalo

Don't know any really! Scriabin is my most listened to solo piano music (along with some Ravel) something so futuristic sounding about it! Perfect for a sci fi film score!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I find most of my music on YouTube, type in an artist and song title, then just let it go where it wants, this popped up a while ago

Zerkalo

Bedroom techno playlists keep me going with similar stuff to that, which is nice. New to me too.

Techno is probably my favourite genre.

Zerkalo

Being a massive film noir fan I've always liked this psalm by Lili Boulanger. The opening bars could be right out of a Fritz Lang movie.

Or sampled by someone. Well ahead of it's time, she could have gone on to a lot more great stuff had she not died so young.

davylad

I really like a lot of classical music, especially Tchaikovsky. I started re-learning the piano a couple of years ago, and I get a lot of pleasure just chilling out playing and learning when I feel like it. Got a couple of real party pieces, that sound really hard, but are not really. Chopin is another favourite, but I find most of it very hard. Just booked tickets for Le Miserables in Hull, seen it a few times in London, and I find the music brilliant.

Zerkalo

My sister has bought tickets for my dad to see Les Miserables, never seen it myself but he loves it. Love some Tchaikovsky. Piano Concerto one always reminds me the film Harold and Maude, personal favourite. Chopin I like but think I admire technically more than it moves me, certainly it's stuff I could never play. Mozart on the other hand, fun to play but awful to listen to.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I find most of my music on YouTube, type in an artist and song title, then just let it go where it wants, this popped up a while ago

Zerkalo

My last girlfriend did one of his ballets. Top stuff. I think that was how I won her over, being able to parle about ballet. :ROFLMAO: :)