Classic river feeder rod on ebay

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
This isn’t my listing and I have no knowledge of the seller, but thought I’d point out a potential bargain as the topic comes up a bit.

i have 3 of these and still use Them for feeder fishing from skimmers to double figure barbel on Warks Avon, Trent, Thames, Severn and Wye.
It is the original Daiwa 11/13 model From the end of the 1980s
i first used on for chucking a thamesley feeder to the far bank at Hoveringham In a national that year.

the yellow tip that the seller doesn’t know about is actually the original medium glass tip.
the whipping at the top of the handle is because someone has fitted a Fuji reel seat.

Four hours left when I posted this.

dave brittain 1

Alex did the Harrier precede the green Whisker Kevlar or did the Whisker Kevlar come first? I had a Daiwa Lightening which was a beast of a feeder rod without a quiver however I was lucky to get one of the first Silstar Traverse X rods in the UK when the rep was showcasing it to Steve, (can't remember his second name), in the tackle shop in Lincoln. It was superb and I only swapped it when the Shimano Twin Powers came out.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
hi Dave,
It’s the harrier whisker kevlar, dark green with a double Kevlar wrap.
i borrowed Tony Barker’s for the 89 Trent national division 2 , bought one a week later (and still use it).
iirc the amorphous whisker came next, with heavy and Stillwater versions. Those were grey blank. I have two of the AWSL as well.
I know several of the anglers on the Severn circuit still use the Harrier or Amorphous heavy by choice.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
£32. Someone's got a bargain. I have four of the Daiwa Amorphous 11/13' Ultra heavy feeder rods. Very similar I think to this. Superb for the Trent.

Arch

Site Supporter
I've got 2 AWL SWs and a AWL Heavy. From an age where you didn't need to chuck a feeder to the other side of the lake and you didn't need to fit a carp reel to them either........

I'll never sell them.

Arch

Site Supporter
I was watching this, but it didn't match my other rods so my OCD wouldn't let me buy it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
story from that 89 Trent national

There’s a great picture in the AT of the line of anglers at Hoveringham ... all with feeder rods skywards trying to catch chub from the far bank trees.
the bloke who won the section had 20 pounds of roach on the waggler ;)

Arch

Site Supporter
@Arch ......Not OCD Arch, you just know what works for you. (y);)

It's a pain chap. I have to buy two of everything and they have to match. Couldn't have two different Daiwa 11/13s, just wouldn't be right and it would do my head in.

Total

Site Supporter
@Arch......Not unusual to have matching pairs Arch....As back up, etc especially in the match fishing world.(y)

squimp

Site Supporter
I bought it - based on NCP’s head’s up. I was looking for a heavy ish river feeder rod.

sounds like I was a bit lucky.... and he tells me my selection of old Drennan tips will fit, which is better still.

dave brittain 1

Alex I didn't realise it was a Harrier. The Traverse X was a superb rod way ahead of it's time. I had the Amoorphous 11/13ft in both river and still water variants. Sold them when I moved south inn 1999 as they were too brutal for carp and didn't have parabolic actions. Great rods at the time.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I've never fished with an amorphous heavy, but I've been told by some that it is fiercer than the Harrier, yet others claim that all of the 11/13 variants through the 90s were basically the same rod rebadged.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You wouldn't be interested in selling one of them would you? I smashed the blank on mine on Tuesday on the Severn.
Sorry pal. I think more of these rods than I do the missus. ? I shouldn’t worry though, they do pop up on eBay now and again. I promise I won’t bid against you. ???

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've never fished with an amorphous heavy, but I've been told by some that it is fiercer than the Harrier, yet others claim that all of the 11/13 variants through the 90s were basically the same rod rebadged.
Pretty much pal. ?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I've got the AWL 1113 Ultra Heavy Combo Feeder. From memory it came supplied with two tips, a heavy carbon one and a not so useful glass tip.

Mine is basically a backup rod, not that I do much heavy feeder fishing these days.

I took a trip down memory lane earlier this week and spent an afternoon at Fiskerton. I had a couple of decent skimmers on the feeder and then a roach a chuck on the wag / mag up to 8oz, both on the deck and up in the water. Lovely stuff.

There were quite a few other anglers on the bank, but I was the only one who packed up at dusk. I hadn't fished at Fisky for 30+ years. How things have changed !