Civilisation

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not the video game, just in general, humans have made it quite good for themselves, evolution I guess, and not on the wacky baccy.

I do a lot of driving and I'm always amazed by cars, good invention for getting from A to B, but also how the majority of drivers follow the rules of the road.

Has been tested a lot recently with 'social distancing' and masks but in general I think people have been sensible.

Also there are very few pests in nature we can't deal with other than mosquitos, even wasps and bees aren't too much trouble, we are top of the food chain. That is in the developed world anyway where we don't have to deal with very much, no big spiders or anything. Sometimes I'll try to be a 'bird whisperer' and communicate/become friends with the birds in the garden but it is their nature to fly away. There are times when nature goes wrong down to human intervention though, I'm thinking Killer Bees in America or Cane Toads in Australia...

For all the times I feel like moaning I'm usually pretty impressed by the way we've made things easy for ourself. Watching a crime film from 1955 last night with my sister, a lot of it was showing off the police technology of the time, tracing calls etc, and my sister asked what I thought films would be like in 60 years time? Wonder if we will still have the internet? Thoughts?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Seriously though, I don’t really think too deeply about most stuff, but I agree that man’s ability to innovate seemingly knows few boundaries.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I agree we have done pretty well for ourselves unfortunately at the expense of the planet. :mad:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
As soon as humankind learned to think for ourselves the planet was doomed.

Are we wrecking the planet or are we just following what was always going to happen?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a point. But I can see within the next few years we will be doing our bit with electric cars etc. Extinct species are another matter but I put a lot of that down to poaching. If you read the news it's easy to get stuck in a cycle of negative thinking as that's all they seem to sell, negativity lol.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Account Locked

Are we wrecking the planet or are we just following what was always going to happen?
That’s a very pessimistic view of things PG. I think we’re better than that and hopefully we’ll sort things out for future generations.

Peezartiste

I agree, this is ecology. In the same way beavers can't stop building dams, we can't can't stop 'improving' our world. When we say the Earth is being destroyed, what they mean is our world is being destroyed, Earth will go on regardless.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Not pessimistic at all, human beings have been somewhat short sighted throughout history. I cannot see it changing any time soon
as we become more technical and more `I want`. I remember many years ago an Indian politician saying he wanted to bring Indian
masses out of poverty and the way to do that is get electricity to everyone, well that is fine who am I to stop people progressing but
electricity to the whole of India means destruction, just think about this on a worldwide scale.

As I said I am not being pessimistic more realistic, it is an unfortunate fact of life progress on a worldwide scale will only hasten our
planets demise.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I agree, this is ecology. In the same way beavers can't stop building dams, we can't can't stop 'improving' our world. When we say the Earth is being destroyed, what they mean is our world is being destroyed, Earth will go on regardless.
That’s an interesting analogy but beavers aren’t responsible for plastic pollution, deforestation and air pollution.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
How can we turn back the tide regarding plastic? Can hardly ban it.

In our everyday lives using cardboard and paper or fibre type stuff is at least a small step in the right direction.

Beaver is responsible for no end of trouble:giggle:

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Account Locked
How can we turn back the tide regarding plastic? Can hardly ban it.

In our everyday lives using cardboard and paper or fibre type stuff is at least a small step in the right direction.

Beaver is responsible for no end of trouble:giggle:
Not for me, I learnt at an early age and I’ve been with the same beaver for 30 years.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Electric cars are fine, ....But.....
Where does the power come from to charge them.
Power stations....Nuclear or otherwise.
Batteries cant be taken to landfill or as far as I am aware recycled like lead acid batteries.
Carbon emissions can be greater than diesel/petrol engines.Also the battery material has to bemined