Cider Farm Lakes - Sunday 29th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessebobs

Steve!
Fished a club match today at Cider Farm in Lympsham (Somerset).
It was my first visit to this venue and I was well impressed.
It consists of 2 Match Lakes and 3 (at least) pleasure lakes. There's also a good sized shop stocking a good selection of tackle and bait and an even better selection of cider and other local produce, the apple brandy looked especially inviting. Next to the shop is a big club house (with bar!) where you can have brekkie and the draw and results are sorted out.
Keepnets and landing net head are supplied and you don't even need to carry them to your peg- they are laid out at your peg ready for you!
Before the draw the owner went through the rules and he also came round while we were setting up to give out a few pointers. He seemed a nice chap and was obviously interested in the welfare of his fish and keen that everybody had a good days fishing.
We had the smaller of the 2 match lakes which has 29 pegs. It's rectangular with 2 islands at a distance of between 11 and 16m from the bank and an average depth of 5 feet and a shelf round the islands of about 18 inches.
I drew peg 23 which was just off the gap between the islands. I had a large clump of reeds on the corner of the island to my right at about 14.5m which was the most obvious fish-holding spot but unfortunately it was almost in peg 22 but "all's fair in love and war"![;)]
Datafile11.jpg
I started the match at 13m in front of me, just off the shelf, with a 6mm "jellet" on the hook over 3mm green swim-stim pellets but not much happened really. However, the guy on my right was plundering the reed bed from the off where the fish were queueing up so it was time for a bit of poaching.
Once I started fishing against the reeds in the next peg it was a bite a chuck for five hours! All the fish were carp between a few ounces and 2lbs and I finished up with 51lbs of the blighters, although another 10lbs of them had managed to bury themselves into the far bank undergrowth - they may be small fish but they go like stink!
The guy next door beat me by a couple of pounds by picking up a few bigger fish in the deeper water "down the track", which was my own fault for putting all my eggs in one basket!
The match was won with 102lbs so my 51lbs was nowhere near but I had a really good day and have booked up for next week's open on the bigger match lake.
The only criticisms I had were that the pegging was maybe a little bit tight and that the nets that were provided weren't very carp friendly, quite a few times I had fish get their dorsal spine caught in the mesh and also the landing net was too deep for my liking.
Apart from that though it's a great venue and I reckon in a few years time, when the fish have grown a bit, it will become awesome. [:)]

quivertip

phil
steve how long has this place been going, i've heard of it but never been there, my bro was on about taking me for a bit of a day out, obviously i can't walk too far at the moment after my op but he was on about this place, would it be suitable for myself, i won't be fishing just going along for the ride..

Jessebobs

Steve!
Hi Phil, hope you're feeling better! Cider farm has been up and running for over 2 years now. In actual fact there are 5 pleasure lakes and 2 match lakes. One of the pleasure lakes is located right next to the club-house and car park. It's the smallest of their lakes, sheltered by trees and it has an island in the middle.
There is a website here

jeff1502

hi mate, fished the cider farm 18mnths ago what a place , bacon butty brew on site and as you say if you like cider your sorted me and my mate fished it for a weekend and had a little comp i won with 54 carp he had 50 all on soft pellet, mint place great experience and good caravan sites near by

Jessebobs

Steve!
Welcome to the forum Jeff and Dimebag!
It wasn't fishing too well after it's New Year lay-off but the last couple of weeks have seen a great improvement and I'm sure you will have a good match next week.
The fish aren't big so you can get away with light tackle unless you're drawn on the snaggier pegs.
Soft pellet over pellet feed is always a safe bet and paste will pick out the bigger fish.
I always take maggots, they will work when the fish are a bit iffy and can be devastating especially tight to the far bank fed through a toss-pot. Don't worry if it's only inches deep, they will be there but they like to get right into the far bank grass.
Inside margins can be effective as many pegs are quite deep down the edge.
Keep throwing pellet down the track in front of you and fish it later in the match, this can often be very productive when the long line dries up and you can bag-up when everyone else is scratching their heads!
They have stopped doing breakfasts on matchdays now (though you may still be able to get a bacon sarnie).
For brekkie I would reccomend either the Lilypool cafe in Shipham or the Hilltop at Pawlett on the A38.
Also, you now have to supply your own nets.
For up to date info give Mark a ring on 01278 751 401
By the way, the above info refers to Dabinett and Yarlington Mil lakes, if you are on Shepherds (which has been used for matches lately) the fish in here are much bigger and go into double figures. When we fished it a month or so ago, the shallow pegs nearest the car park were best and maggot over micro pellet was the way to go.
There is also a good head of silvers (roach, rudd, skimmers and big chub) and you can get a good weight of these on your top-kit fishing shallow with maggot, pellet or corn.
Have a good day and let us know how you get on.

poleboy101

ive fished several matches on yarlington mill and dabinett if the waters warm green swim stim paste will do the business over micro ppellet bought on site or maggot but paste was doing the damage on the warmer days last year

Status
Not open for further replies.