Chubber floats

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Any favourite floats? I can see Drennan Crystal Loafers which look decent and pretty much the same as Chubbers?

What's happened is my fave weirpool to fish has turned into a snag pit. I lost 6 hooks in almost as many casts on the feeder so I'm thinking a Chubber float fished at half depth with a nice chunk of bread on the hook will be fun to try when the levels are normal again.

Any favourite shotting patterns? I'm thinking a bulk half way down with a big dropper will do, but also wondering about what sort of weight floats given that it's about 3 or four foot deep and fast weirpool water.

Something to try early next year hopefully anyway.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Any favourite floats? I can see Drennan Crystal Loafers which look decent and pretty much the same as Chubbers?

What's happened is my fave weirpool to fish has turned into a snag pit. I lost 6 hooks in almost as many casts on the feeder so I'm thinking a Chubber float fished at half depth with a nice chunk of bread on the hook will be fun to try when the levels are normal again.

Any favourite shotting patterns? I'm thinking a bulk half way down with a big dropper will do, but also wondering about what sort of weight floats given that it's about 3 or four foot deep and fast weirpool water.

Something to try early next year hopefully anyway.
My favourite float to. Love the 2bb ones for small brown trout on a little stream I fish. I have lost a few up trees

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Something about their sturdiness in turbulent water, the way they hold the flow, and the thick tip with definitive bites makes them a favourite here too!

trotter2

The smallest one I think these days is the 1.5 AAA. If your only fishing 3 feet of water fish the bulk just over half depth near the hook. And dropper about 6 to 8 inches away from the hook with flake. That should be ok to start with.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't wait for the levels to drop a bit again for me to give it a try.

There's another stretch nearby that charges £4 a day I need to try with just a stick float. I'd tried roving elsewhere but it doesn't seem to hold as many fish as the weir which is going to be ideal for such a great method as the chubber!

trotter2

A Weir is generally a hot spot for fish numbers. It's just a shame we can't fish the Weir on my local river. Remember the times when we could it was superb fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most the weirs on the Thames around my way are on separate permits to the main clubs so I’ve never properly fished one. Did kayak pretty close to one once (possibly not allowed without the permits in hindsight but didn’t know better at the time) and some of the chub hanging around it were impressive in numbers and size. They just ignored my bait as it passed over their heads though so I just kept getting little dace and bleak at the end of the trot instead haha

BoldBear

Unless I’m fishing at closer range in front of me, my favourite float for stillwaters and very slow moving waters is the semi loaded Onion Waggler.

Onion.gif

The Onion Waggler is only partially loaded and when cast flies through the air as straight as an arrow; with non of the waggle that gives the Waggler its name; and can be cast very accurately tight up to the far bank on canals or to the edge of distant Lilly pads etc. with the float flying ahead of the hook length in flight; It is very sensitive too and is ideal for using when you want to combat any surface drift with its long narrow stem.

I usually use this float with the following standard shotting pattern (Note: the floats shown in the shotting diagram are not Onions)

Shallow-Water-Shotting.png

That’s my overall favourite float the ‘Onion Waggler’.

Keith

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The Onion one of Billy Lane's favourites.
Used it many a time myself and still do, and l can also underarm it to the bushes when clipped up.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Love the Onion too. Nice and stable but still very sensitive. There's a Tench and Crucian water on Leamington Anglers card that would be perfect for that I reckon.

davylad

Site Supporter
I can't remember the last time I fished a rod, but a straight peacock was always my favourite, sometimes with an insert. A Pete Warren or John Alderton stick was a close second.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I must admit to using a perch bobber with no shot at all on the Lee downstream of kings weir using maggots, spray and cast, when it cocks strike. Went through a lot of maggots catching a huge amount of chub up against the bushes on the far bank.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Think it was a Fishing All Stars episode on a narrow part of the Trent I saw as a good example of fishing a Chubber.

I am using my pole less and less these days, and seem to spend all my time on the tip, which I love doing but can't beat float fishing on running water so hope to do more of that next year. And when I get my Tench waters, maybe some lift method on the rod will be in order.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Snitterfield I was thinking of but Jubilee I'll have to try as well.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
For chub in turbulent water you cannot beat IMHO, a good old fashioned Balsa, even better if you've made it yourself.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Love a float too, but weigh up conditions and ensure they are right for the float (18 inch or more clarity). If not, and if possible take some time to have a chuck around the weir, yes weirs can be notoriously snaggy, but can be clear through and around the flows. Snags means fish nearby usually, so for me, get to know where they are and then base tactics on conditions. Some good Bream sport can be had where the flow starts to ease off too and away from the snags.

You may find some species such as chub will feed at bottom depths exploited by a feeder and shallower depths searched out by a float, but you may limit your options by avoiding the feeder completely. Being prepared to and tailoring your tactics to conditions, means you can get out more, rather than wait for the right conditions for how you want to fish, and getting out more, means learning the venue quicker.

In terms of floats, I have one left, of the ones Dave refers too above, a lovely hand made one with nice varnished finish (3ssg), which only comes out where I know I can't lose it (sentimental value), to top up on this style of float, I do like Dave Harrells balsa missiles.

trotter2

Must admit regarding floats for fast shallow water the only loafer ,chubber float I use is the drennan crystal ones.
I find them way for effective in shallow water than any floats with a coloured opaque body. Came to the conclusion they spook less fish.