Chub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ja4146

'ha ha!'
Does anyone know a good bait for river chub up to about 4 pound.

pontiac.gif

jea13

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A big juicy lobworm works wonders especially if you nip the end off

Dave

Dervaig

Although I haven't course fished a river for many years,( I've just restarted course fishing - commercials at the moment) bread, smelly cheese or bread & smelly cheese paste always used to work for us on Ribble Chub. Mmmmmmm!![:p]

Dervaig

Lid

Most baits work if you don't spook them, but when in season freelined slugs are the deadliest bait I have ever found for chub. In fact I'm gonna try freezing some next season and giving them a go in the winter. Last year in autumn I could pop down to the river for a few hours with twenty slugs and catch 10 - 15 chub, with the odd bonus perch.

Two other famous deadly chub baits are wasp grub (or chunks of wasp nest) and crayfish, but native ones are now rare, so are best left alone. Be careful though, only harvest wasps nests if you know what you are doing. Sometimes they are advertised mail order.

Anchored bread crust or flake is also very good. I used to use cheese-paste with good results, but my daughter is too allergic to milk products so I don't anymore.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

chub

you want to go out at night and collect a few SLUGS as the chub in my local river go mad for them. [;)]

i love catching chub

ren180

Wasp grub is one of the best baits for chub,(if you can get your hands on it.)
A good tip for catching smaller chub if theres plenty of other
species in the river such as roach & dace is to feed maggot and fish caster but cast them past the run where the maggots are settling.
Give it a go it works for me every time on the River Tees

Good fishing & summers comming...Ren.[8D]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The native white claw crayfish is now a protected species.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.