Chub in Northampton (river Nene) on lures

Hi guys, hope you’re well. I’m looking for some help if possible. I’ve fished lakes for carp since I was young and have had poor to moderate success, mainly concentrating on the night fishing and the ale drinking that goes with it 🤣🍺 biggest carp 10lb on the usual semi-fixed boilie rig. Nothing exciting.
Anyway I’ve always wanted to catch a decent chub. And this year I’ve put some effort in. I’ve got a few crank baits (I think they’re called that… little colourful, rattling lures lol) and a lovely little lure rod n reel. On the advice of tackle shop I got 20lb braid on the reel to a 1ft leader and clip lure to that.
So I started off down my local stretch of the nene. After all I’ve read and videos it looked really “chubby” and I was expecting some action. That was a month ago and so far I’ve caught….. 3 jack pike and a perch 🤣🤣🤣
I’ve trawled (no pun) the internet for good Northampton spots of the nene. I’ve got one stretch left that I’ve heard is good but I can’t help but wonder if I’m doing something wrong. The only real success has been my casting is really decent. The 4.5cm lures are the perfect weight to either flick out or launch depending on surroundings.
I vary my retrieve. Some fast. Some slow. Some pausing then slow retrieving. Alas my big chub alludes me.
Is it me or are there no chub? Any help or advice would be great 😃 cheers.

Thanks for replying Neil. I’ve done the Kingsthorpe Mill all the way from the football ground (spencer maybe?) to the railway bridge. Loads of lovely looking spots but nothing. Then I went to the stretch on Towcester road bridge. Again looked really promising but nothing. I’ve heard the London road bridge (south bridge at far cotton) is “chub alley” but yet to try it.

Oh sorry don’t think photo posted

Attachments

• 6CE20714-01D1-4C17-BF88-6009C172FD26.jpeg
    6CE20714-01D1-4C17-BF88-6009C172FD26.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 19

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I've caught hundreds of chub over the years just using prawn/meat or cheese paste on a feeder. Never had any on a lure.

Thanks Dave. There’s loads of videos on YouTube where literally the guy drops in a Salmo lure and the action is instant 🤣
I’m wondering if it’s my technique or are there simply no chub where I’ve been fishing 🤦‍♂️
I’ll stick with the lures tho because it is still fun fishing and I love how it’s all minimal gear and pop down for couple of hours whenever I want. Just rod and net. Done

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Chub seem to feed at any time of the day, so try a few bits of bread in each swim to see if they rise to take it.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I have fished for small river chub since a schoolboy, unfortunately due to so called `improvements` and lack of access I no longer
have chub fishing close by. Anyway over many years and countless chub I rate one bait above all others by a country mile, lobs.
Chub cannot resist them, a close second is sweetcorn but fire your loose offerings into the trees. Only some of your corn will end
up in your swim but it`s the way the corn falls into the water that is key. Dairylea is another good bait and easy to keep in the fridge.
Watched how chub behave many times, the biggest in the shoal will often hang back until they think the free offerings are safe so
don`t be in too much of a rush to catch, been said many times the best chub swims are flood rafts, quite so.

Thanks for input guys. Gonna be honest I’ve not seen any fish. The waters too coloured for that. The most I can see in one particular swim was a small weed bed which I tried to fish to the side of and avoid snagging.
I’ll just keep persevering 😃
And if anyone has any stretches local to me that’d be amazing 😃

Just went thru my photos and realised I took some of one of the swims…

Attachments

• B7E4A5B3-DF75-470E-8B23-1D6EFA1DBA4C.jpeg
    B7E4A5B3-DF75-470E-8B23-1D6EFA1DBA4C.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 7D18D777-FF0B-4932-836C-BCCE4171909E.jpeg
    7D18D777-FF0B-4932-836C-BCCE4171909E.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 27

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Barbel anglers seem to catch Chub by accident (me included) and would suit your previous carping experience of being able to sit behind 2 rods and enjoy a bevvy whilst waiting for the rod to bend over.

Here's one of mine from June that fell to an 18mm dumb bell.

20220619_213920.jpg

6lb 1oz

Thanks RD. That’s actually a good point… I have an old quiver tip rod. I could go for a weekend and if I don’t catch on meat, corn or lob then that probably tells me more about the location than my methods. Though

… I never river fished using bait / legering etc. I assume I just put just enough weight down to hold bottom? On a simple running bomb set up?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
… I never river fished using bait / legering etc. I assume I just put just enough weight down to hold bottom? On a simple running bomb set up?
If there is a decent flow a freelined bait will do the job. A tip from a nineteen fifties book by Fred J Taylor. If you can`t reach a
chub swim with one lobworm just stick on another one!

I do not do technical, trust me this simple rig will catch you plenty of chub. I fish five pound maxima straight though to a strong
size eight, this size is a compromise but a good compromise and will be fine for a lob or piece of bread or cheese or three or four
grains of corn. Three feet above the hook tie in a six inch piece of lighter line, if you need to slow down the bait just squeeze on a
few swan shot, remember three shot spread out over an inch or so will give you more grip than a bunch of three. If you decide to
floatfish just slip on a couple of float rubbers.

Although chub will often try and take the rod out of your hands if the flow is slow they can take the bait down deep and hardly
move the rod tip, their throat teeth will cut through the line better than any pike but you will rarely see this in print so it pays to
strike early. Touch legering sounds a bit poncey but if you are moving from swim to swim freelining one minute and upstream
legering or floatfishing the next it is the way to go and no need for a quivertip.

corbyclubman

Chub to 7lb have come out or Castor backwater on the nene.
A stretch I used to fish some years ago called Church end, held a good head of decent chub, although I’m not sure where it actually is! Maybe NOTN or someone else can tell you, and me lol as I would love to go back there for old times sake, all I remember is that it was a long walk to the stretch and as the membership got older, we stopped going there

Thanks guys. Yeah if anyone knows any stretches in Northampton that would be great.
Like I said I’ve got a couple more I’m gonna chuck some lures at. If I catch one I’ll be sure to let you know 😃

Steve57

Site Supporter
It's been a long time since I fished in Northampton so I'm not sure if the weir is still there with all the changes that have gone on. It used to be between Middy Meadow and the Brittania Pub on the Bedford rd. Black slugs used to be the bait back then in the weir pool.

Thanks Steve. Yeah I believe it’s still there. I think they do white water rafting there 🤔
Is this a known chubbing water? Where a nice Salomo might catch me one? 😃