chub fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

twig

on friday im off to the river to go chub fishing. it is fast flowing and im using a float. what is the best method for float fishing in these conditions and what is the best bait?

wetlines
danny

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hi Twig , i would tell u not to use maggots cos the baileff will take all ure tackle off you, i will be goin wid u but i am goin to use worm and slug...........
guys whats the best alternative to maggot???????????
thanx alot guys and gals

Regards Gf

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Unfortunately on rivers , during the close season,you are not allowed to fish for chub with any method.
If the River contains Trout as well, You are allowed to fish for them as long as they are resident Trout and non-migratory.

You cannot then be held responsible if a chub takes your legally applied Trout method bait.

However, the only 3 methods allowed to fish for Trout are Fly, Spinning with lures or Worm Fishing using freeline or bomb.

No float fishing or swimfeeders permitted and ONLY worm as bait!.

The chub I describe catching last week,were caught on worm and bomb on the Dove,
This was close to its convergance with the Trent,but as the Trent does not hold a resident head of Trout, I wouldnt have even been allowed on there at all.

cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanx TrevI probley bomb the river with worm cos i have never caught a river trout!!!!
dont know about Twig though....

Regards Gf

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great Garry,

I think you'll enjoy it, I know I do,

Use heaviest main line you have got, cos a rolling bomb may get snagged a bit.

I thread the main line through a rolling bullet, or a sliding clip and clip on a bomb.
3 to 4 lb hook length is ok, about 3 feet long (sorry 75 cms lol)

The bomb needs to be as light as just rolling with the current.

Flick it downstream and let it roll, stopping it occasionally as with a little wait a bite can develop.

When you decide its travelled far enough, sit on it for 5 minutes or so, give them chnce to find it.

when retrieving, dont wind straight back, but bring it in 6 feet or so and then give it a few seconds.

Sometimes chub or Trout will be stimulated by it 'escaping' and you get a bite then.

Hit every bite quick as both species take it straigt down, so have your disgorger ready.

You should have Trout OK in the Yorks Rivers, but dont be tempted to use any coarse methods!,or other bait.

I went for years without being stopped by a Bailiff, but since October , when I bought last years licence, I have been checked twice!
Once locally at Press Manor and once at the Charity match in Wraysbury! London

It aint long 'til June 16th and certainly not worth losing your kit or being fined!

Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev

scouse

'River Man'
hi twig
what river are you going to fish
and i will tell you if you can fish it
as i am a bailiff for a fishing club,
And as trev says def NO MAGGOT, worm only
and def NO SUSPENDED BAIT IE you cannot use a float
if your caught using illegal methods you will be facing
a big fine plus court costs
dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

MALC

Also Twig and Garry check before you go that the club or owners of the stretch allow you to fish it in the coarse close season as a lot of clubs do not allow it on their waters same goes for a lot of free council owned waters.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanx for the Tips and tatics we are fishing the river aire its a free place where me and twig go ... its a good place for fly fisherman aswell. SHould i use the lite (greentip) or medium/heavy(tip) and 5lb main line?????????

Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gary,

I have heard of the odd trout being caught in the upper reaches of the Aire but unfortunately not in the town stretches.
If you get the chance, go to the Leeds ASA stretch at Pool nr Otley.
They allow trout fishing on the river (Wharfe) but you need to observe the rules. The day tickets are available from all Leeds tackle shops and also at the petrol station in Pool, and if I think on, I'm sure there is a bus route or used to be along the ringroad, past the airport to the top of Pool Bank.
The walk down is easy but its a bit of a grind coming back up so travel light and you'll enjoy it.

If you follow Trev's advice and use a rolling bomb you'll only need a minimum of tackle in a bag and you'll also be able to fish 'n' walk the stretch.

tight lines, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
As MALC rightly says Garry, CHECK 1st that its not fly only, Several sections of my Derwent are reserved Fly only.
If it's ok, both 5lb line and the light will do fine unless you have a really fast flow on.

Look for those shallower swims where the water speeds up, and roll through them, the Trout will be laying behind in the slacker areas waiting for food to come through.

As John pointed out to me, if they are Brown Trout, they are Territorial, so once you,ve caught 1 or 2 , be prepared to move or search a different swim.

Good Fishing

Trev

Ziptrev

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
thanx again but the strech nr Twig fished good for trout a man a 4 weeks ago where pullin douzens out on the fly. im sure your allowed to fish it with legerd worm. or use the mesh feeder with breadcrum in. Dave i live miles away from the town and the strech i fish is evan further thanks for the info on the wharfe ill ask twig if he can get transport cos we have Training day Friday so.....

Regards Gf

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Garry,

Nowhere in the EA close season are you allowed to use a feeder on rivers.

Trev

Ziptrev

norm

gary
listen to the trev
dont use feeders you will end up in trouble mate

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:...Use heaviest main line you have got, cos a rolling bomb may get snagged a bit....

Whew - Trev, glad you clarified that to indicate a 5lb mainline would be OK. I was seriously worried about the size of trout and chub in that river.

I was thinking of the 80lb I use for catfish where it is snaggy. LOL

If these fish tend to really swollow a hook, may I suggest either a circle or kahle pattern. They rarely deep hook a fish even if the fish has sucked the thing down to it's tail. They pop right out until they hit a rounded obstruction like the lip.

Size may be an issue though as the smallest circle I'm familiar with is the #8 that Gamakatsu makes and I don't remember seeing a kahle smaller than a #6. I have, however, caught some really small fish on both of them.

In case you aren't familiar with the two patterns, I'll give links to pictures of each.

Gamakatsu circle (micro, micro barbed)
http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/octo_circle.htm

Gamakatsu Shiner (kahle pattern)
http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/shiner.htm

Eagle Claw Kahle
http://www.eagleclaw.com/Images/kahle.jpg

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
LOL Newt,

You know me, I'm cautious, so 5lb will be adequete for our River Trout, A 2lb fish would be exceptional.
In Still water, 10 to 15lb can be expected and thats a differnt game!

I'm looking forward to seeing these hooks, saw the pics on a previous post.
Have one or 2 ideas for a size 6 or 8 that I'd like to try!

Ref the other post, promise me we wont have an Alligator Gar to pull into our boat please!!
Or I go swimming straight away!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
No gator gar here Trev. No idea why but they seem to be almost exclusively near or west of the Mississippi River and it is nearly 1000 miles from here to it.

I was raised in that area and did fish for them when I was a youngun. We fished from a 12ft jon boat (light little thing that ran nicely with a 3hp motor) using deep sea tackle.

Largest one I ever caught couldn't have been over 150lbs and probably not quite that heavy. And he still managed to give us a whale of a boat ride before he tired out and was willing to be boated.

That was long ago and C&R wasn't even an idea so we did kill the fish before we put them into the boat. Carried a 45cal pistol just for the job since they have such a hard shell over the head area that a smaller caliber often won't penetrate but will just bounce off.

Awesome fish and I hope they taking of them will quit before there are no more around.

I have plenty of the Octupus Circle hooks in #8 and larger and Kahle (the shiner hooks) in #6 and larger so you can try them and take some home with you as well.

My last carp outing (which was very slow for carp - slow as in none) I had a line out for catfish using a #4 kahle with a piece of lobworm. Caught a couple of small sunfish of less than 8oz (and they have a small mouth). Great hook. Banked around half-dozen catfish to 4 lbs and all were nicely mouth hooked. They are horrible for swollowing a bait deep and with most hooks, I would expect over half to have been seriously deep-hooked.

The trick with these hook patterns is to not "set" the hook. Just a steady pull when you feel a take. If you try to really cross their eyes, the hook will pop right out and never touch the fish. A slow pull and it will dig in when it reaches the ridge at the mouth. Likewise, they will slide right over a log but will catch on a twig.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 24 April 2002 11:58:26 PM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Well NEWT,
If you see my other post on where you fished!
If you got the time LOL,
You will see I,ve been practising LURE fishing!

Sheer Luck LOL,
Spinning with a small Mepps Spinner!
Damn hard work lol

Still I hit 5 in 2 hours!

Took me til thursday to report the damn job lol
2 weeks and decreasing
CYA

Trev

Ziptrev

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I love those little mepps. They will catch most anything that swims.

One thing though, all your practice has been backward. You been standing on shore and tossing out. We will be in a boat so it is on the water and tossing toward (but hopefully not onto) the shore. Lots more fun. I frequently catch tree fish. ROF

My guess is the mepps was hard because you used way too much rod. I have some great little 4 ft rods with spincast reels (sorta like your closed face but not exact - smaller opening and they mount on top like a multiplier) that are great with lures in the 1/32 to 1/16 oz range. The rods are either zebco rhino or shakespeare ugly stiks, both of which are e-glass/carbon composites and tough - but flexible enough you can touch the tip to the handle without harming the rod. Spooled with 10lb PowerPro. They will deal with a serious fish if need be.

If you like em (and I think you will for certain kinds of fishing) you can pick up a rod/reel combo at BassPro for around $30. Reels are pre-spooled but with some real rubbish mono so I always respool em first thing. They are nice with small lures and also for bait fishing with crickets/lobworms/etc. Not good for distance work but wonderful for margins and any close work. A 2lb fish on one of these is as much fun as a 40lb fish on a big rod. And a 4lb catfish who thinks he is a submarine is beyond all imagining.

My rig for use with baits isn't fancy but does work well. Stop knot, bead, sliding float (line thru the center), single shot heavy enough to cock the float, hook. This way you can wind in to the shot since the float slips and the stop knot will pass thru the rings easily. The really finiky UK rigs are no good if you are fishing from a moving boat and need to cast and reel in a lot. Toss it out and if no action within 30-45 seconds, wind back in and do it again.

I also have some 3wt fly rods and flies good for sunfish if you are interested.

To get back to the thread topic - can't put you on any chub I'm afraid. They don't like the warm water down here. In the US, they are pretty much a northern fish. No pike or walleye (zander) either. Same problem. So you are basically stuck with largemouth bass, catfish (4 species), crappie, small yellow perch, sunfish (8 or 10 species) and maybe a striped bass or so. If the spawn is over, maybe the occasional carp or two as well. I'll be fishing this Sunday and should be able to judge then.

I'm trying to get up with my paylake buddy Shears to see if we can meet him for a paylake session. Probably the Wednesday before you leave - fewer anglers and less hectic than on weekends. If we are lucky, his son Josh may be able to make it as well. Big fella - built sorta like Trogg I think.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Too much Newt!!!
It all sounds great!
Anything you say goes pal,
Just tell me what the hell it is when we catch 'em lol

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev

Alnath

Hmmm Just an observation. If the target is Chub why not fish a canal until the rivers open? You can fish any method you like then and you wont be in any fear of using a method or bait thats liable to land you in strife.

John
Its not what you have got, it's how you use it icon_smile_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.