Chub and Snow Water

Wise Owl

Account Locked
How does your River Fair after a Snowfall ? ive had some good Days on the Wharfe a day or 2 after snowfall for them Chub.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 205321.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It doesn't snow that often here but when it does it generally fishes rubbish although chub do still come out of it in such conditions, well basically chub will come out of it in any conditions the things are nuts 😅

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
How does your River Fair after a Snowfall ? ive had some good Days on the Wharfe a day or 2 after snowfall for them Chub.
Both the Aire and Wharfe run off quickly nowadays due to preservation works, tree planting, flood defences etc. Below pool bridge you can walk out to the middle in wellies then run a stick float down a deep hole full of Dace, Chub, and Grayling 😉

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Both the Aire and Wharfe run off quickly nowadays due to preservation works, tree planting, flood defences etc. Below pool bridge you can walk out to the middle in wellies then run a stick float down a deep hole full of Dace, Chub, and Grayling 😉
Meant to have a walk with Albert down there, i aint fished it for 30 year or more.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Fep

Depends on how high, high tide is and the influx of cold salt water.
We was down about a mile from the Mucky hole, i always put a marker in and it was going down nicely then started to rise again and no flow so i reckon thats about where the Tidal ends, the Flatties and the seal just Carried on upstream.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Snow melt in the river is usually kiss of death - but snow on the banks is no problem.
As a massive generalisation for cold/clear rivers ....
if it's got a green tinge then bread flake is the best chub bait
if it hasn't then 4-5 pints of maggots

fredradac

Site Supporter
Snow melt in the river is usually kiss of death - but snow on the banks is no problem.
As a massive generalisation for cold/clear rivers ....
if it's got a green tinge then bread flake is the best chub bait
if it hasn't then 4-5 pints of maggots
Certainly true of the Ribble.
With the proviso that as an OAP I'm playing the sympathy card and buying 3 pints of maggots (tops).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had my first ever blank on the local river just a couple of weeks ago when a lot of snow had gone through. I checked the river today as it's gone a bit milder, maybe for not long enough but some warmer rain water has gone through, it was quite high but I'm hoping it drops overnight for when I go there tomorrow morning as it will give me something to do.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't expect to catch any this morning after the blank last time, and that's if the river is fishable and not up and covering the only available bank space. Still going to give it a go.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Don't expect to catch any this morning after the blank last time, and that's if the river is fishable and not up and covering the only available bank space. Still going to give it a go.
That can be the most enjoyable part ,anticipation, you just never know ,happy days Zerkalo hope you catch a few

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking at the long range forecasts there might not be any more river fishing this season for me especially if the local thing isn’t lifted. Near constant rain the rest of the this month it appears and February doesn’t tend to be dry very often 😕

Simon R

Site Supporter
If I see that green tinge to the water which signifies the rivers full of snow melt I usually don't bother getting the gear out - that's on the Swale and Ure anyway which are my usual winter haunts.

Plenty of water in the river locally without adding snow melt to the mix. The relatively recently created artificial flood plains, wetlands and ponds down at Bowesfield on the Tees are working as they should - prevents flooding but also prevents angling as there's no safe way to determine where the river bank is - and considering there are some areas where it's 10' deep off your rod tip you really wouldn't want to get it wrong.

Simon