Christmas Memories

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Im sat on my sofa little Alberts at my side and im thinking where has time gone ? this is our 18th xmas in this house young owl was 10 Gert jnr was 12, Gert jnr opening her Latest mobile Phone, Owl Jnr with his new Footy kit and video games, i now think wednesday we all again open our presents in the same room 18 years later Owl Jnr works alongside me, Gert Jnr a manager in a medical practice, memories glad we have em.
Hope your all fit and well and can look back and smile (y)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I remember the year I made a garage for our little lad when he was about 5. Our lass and I were up till 1am on Christmas eve painting it. He absolutely loved it and treasured it. He’s still got it and he’s 31.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
That first Xmas i remember Gert Jnr unwrapping a Leeds shirt with Alan Smith on the back, She Loved him, Owl jnr ribbing her about him being a puff and em having a barney, then young owl burst into song,
Alan Smith he gets the ball and does F..k all Alan Alan Smith :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: which then got him a ballacking of our gert :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Great times.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Remember me and wor kid waking up dead early and going into living room and only a bow and arrow set in our designated areas. Go into mam and dads room crying. Santa hasn’t left us much as we been naughty. And it was all still in bedroom in pillow cases( no santa sacks then ). We were up that early they hadn’t put our stuff out.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Always remember mam looking out of window in pitch black to see who of our mates were up. Light on in Steven house. Micheal out on a new bike. Etc. Loads of kids within a 100 yards.
Don’t know about nowadays. About 1 child within 10 doors either side of me now.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember living at home id be about 16 - 17 it was boxing day morning and id got up to go to the Leeds match away, my younger brother had got a Keyboard for xmas and my mams mate had called in for a cuppa with her daughter Lisa, i was having a sarnie and i heard my Mam say To my Brother, why dont ya show Lisa yer Organ :oops::oops: i nearly didnt go to the match i was choking on me sarnie :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Remember when 17 and starting during in pubs. Xmas day. Local was open 12 to 2. Sunday dinner was 12:30. Xmas dinner was 1:30. So up pub at 11:55 with the lads. 4 pints of Harp lager necked by 1:15 and ran home for 1:20 ready for dinner. Full of beer and gas. Never enjoyed my dinner. I never drank before Xmas dinner since. Why spoil the day for a drink. All the effort my mam put in for years and years.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In our first house which we bought as a wreck, doing it up whilst living in it, the building trade was on it's heels, we got by and managed to scrape together to buy my 2 yr old daughter a large plastic cooker, toy food, pots and pans, utensils, everything she needed to replace the cooker I'd made her from cardboard boxes (which she loved playing with)

Once she'd finished opening it all and we'd set it all up for her she went back to playing with the cardboard box one :D
It appeared we'd bought the cooker for her yet the simplicity of the home-made one was all she wanted

Arch

Site Supporter
As the youngest of four lads, things were a little tight in our house sometimes. I remember hearing music coming from downstairs on one Christmas day. Mum and Dad had bought us all a record player and it was playing Mungo Jerry - In the summertime. Couldn't understand where it was coming from. Rushed downstairs, and there was this great big sideboard in the living room blasting out music. The record (Remember them ??) was on repeat as well, played for ages. It might have been the only record they bought.

I think we had our first colour telly for Christmas one year as well.

Great times.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I remember as a kid when we lived in Wigan there was an almighty crash and bang downstairs early one Christmas Day morning while everyone was still in bed.

We went down to tackle the burglars nicking our Christmas presents. To find the Christmas tree had toppled over, fetching all the ceiling decorations down, smashed the coffee table and tipped a load of wet peat / soil out of the big pot it was sat in all over wrapped presents and the carpet.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
In our old house 24yr ago I was under the flooring fitting new floor joists on Xmas day. First born was due in Feb and house wasn’t. Since then we’ve moved had another child (now 21) and every year the tree goes in the same spot. Daughters pressies in the same spot and lads in his spot. Only difference is, we all get up later. It’s gone from 5am to 9-9:30am.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Used to have great Christamses as a lad growing up, lots of family around, Dad worked in farming so there was plenty of food, it became even more special when I joined the forces.
Seeing my kids grow up, and the look in their eyes as they opened presents will always be with me.
Now divorced after 27yrs of marriage the ex plays on their emotions, my parents are gone and she reminds them every year that they don't know how many her parents have left.
So I tell them I will be fine, and they should go and spend Christmas with their Nan, Grandad and Great Grandad.
Third year I will be billy no one wants, sort of getting used to it now.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Getting a pair of Tom Finney deep red football boots,first ones,I think, without the toecap and leather strap across the instep,I felt like the king of the world playing footy all Christmas day.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Used to have great Christamses as a lad growing up, lots of family around, Dad worked in farming so there was plenty of food, it became even more special when I joined the forces.
Seeing my kids grow up, and the look in their eyes as they opened presents will always be with me.
Now divorced after 27yrs of marriage the ex plays on their emotions, my parents are gone and she reminds them every year that they don't know how many her parents have left.
So I tell them I will be fine, and they should go and spend Christmas with their Nan, Grandad and Great Grandad.
Third year I will be billy no one wants, sort of getting used to it now.

Even though yer a Man U fan I’d still join ya for a Xmas drink and a bit of company for ya ?Have a good un mate ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I can vividly remember one year , the kids being up very early, trying to be quiet, and son saying in a loud,excited whisper to our daughter "He's been".

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
One year we asked our nine year old son to write a letter to Santa. It said what I really want for Christmas is a jigsaw. Little kids were so unmaterialistic back then. He got his jigsaw of course and plenty more besides.

I asked our lass out on the 22nd December when we were 15. I was floating on air all the way to new year and beyond. Probably the best thing I did in my life.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
One of the joys of Christmas day morning was walking out onto the street and seeing all the kids who had new bikes and especially those with their very first "big bike"

Sadly a thing of the past

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
used to be a bit of a tradition, that all us herberts, all five of us went fishing with our old dad christmas morning

loaded up in dads old volvo amazon estate and off over to Deal beach

us older ones would still be nursing hangovers from christmas eve in the pub and the mistakes would be swilling pop and eating choccy

dad would be the only one proper fishing

then back home around 3pm for a slap up munch with Mum, Gran and Grandad

stuffed and asleep in the comfy chairs by 5pm

only mum and me will get together this xmas day now, the rest stop at thier own homes with thier kin