Christmas Disasters?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The first time I was invited to spend Christmas Day with my in-laws, my wife told me that her parents had spent a fortune on something rather special for the Christmas dinner. A free range goose.
None of us had ever cooked goose before, so the recipe books were consulted and the preparations made.

We sat down to eat, and I thought the goose looked a bit odd. But father-in-law set to with a big carving knife.
He sliced and hacked and chopped at the bird, but seemed to be hitting bone wherever he went. After several minutes we had about enough meat to fill a teacup. He suggested that we quickly stick a dozen sausages in the oven, to eke out the goose meat, commenting that the farmer must have had the goose on a strict diet.
Despite the change of menu, we had a good meal.

On Boxing Day, we had a phone call from the wife's Mum. She had started to pick the carcase of the goose to make a soup, and turning it over, she discovered why it had been so boney.

The old lad had it carved it upside down.

:oops::unsure::ROFLMAO:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
my twin brother cooked the turkey with the giblets still in it one year, his family all refused to eat it!

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
My Grandma used to braise the giblets and use the liquid for the gravy. She'd then finish off the giblets in a pie.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
1. My Mrs did the upside down thing one day with a chicken. Sent me back to the shop with it to tell them there was no meat on it. Cue me being made to look a right pillock when the shop assistant pointed out that it was upside down.

2. Went to sister's for dinner one year & she's not much of a cook. She brought out these individual Xmas puds. The daft cow had taken the wrappers off & it was just a tray of Xmas Pud liquid.

3. Went to MIL's one year & she was going through the change & a bit bonkers. She told me she put a turkey leg on my plate because she knew I liked the leg (I didn't). Couldn't get a scrap of meat off it. She'd only given me the soddin' neck :rolleyes: