Christmas Break Fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s pretty much that time of year again when a lot of people will have a bit of time off work for Christmas and will presumably do some fishing.

I’ve got work Tuesday and Wednesday this week but they should be fairly quiet so I consider my Christmas break to have started this weekend. Had a gruelling session on the canal yesterday to kick off with then planning on fishing the Avon tomorrow as been fishing well this week apparently although the temperatures have halved since mid week so probably going to be tough again now! Apart from that the forecast looks cold and wet for days on end so not really sure when I’ll get back out but will try to sometime somewhere whilst off.

What’s everyone else’s fishing plans over the next couple weeks if you’ve got time off?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's just nowhere that really inspires me to get out worth fishing near me at the moment, so if I do go it will probably be Bells Mill, just making do. And to think that it's not even officially Winter yet. A good few months before I can really look forward to going again.

Dropon

Being retired I can pick and choose when to go. Not when it’s going to rain, I don’t mind the cold too much ,better when temperature rises a bit ,not when it’s dropping. Much like everyone i expect.

Dropon

There's just nowhere that really inspires me to get out worth fishing near me at the moment, so if I do go it will probably be Bells Mill, just making do. And to think that it's not even officially Winter yet. A good few months before I can really look forward to going again.
Metreological winter starts December, the January and February.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Metreological winter starts December, the January and February.
Ah right I had it down as 21st December to 20th March. Good job really as I've been calling my reports 'Winter' since November. :LOL:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Going to the Itchen at Shawford on 30th for a bit of Grayling fishing with a few mad sods

smiffy

Site Supporter
After a brief spell of decent weather and decent colour in the rivers locally it’s back to cold,still and clear. Looking at the forecast also, there is a potential “Beast form the East“ brewing so doubt I’ll be doing much. In my matchfishing days it would have been busy but those matches, in the forecasted weather, would have been gruellers.
I’ll keep an eye on the weather but it’s not looking promising🤬

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After a brief spell of decent weather and decent colour in the rivers locally it’s back to cold,still and clear. Looking at the forecast also, there is a potential “Beast form the East“ brewing so doubt I’ll be doing much.
Proper bad timing isn’t it! Was proper mild all of last week here then dropped considerably last couple days and looks like it’s going to continue to go that way.

Going to the Itchen at Shawford on 30th for a bit of Grayling fishing with a few mad sods
I’d be interested to hear how you get on with that. I’ve only ever fished there between June and October as it’s generally coincided with being down that way for sea fishing which I’ve hardly done in winter.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Been out for a few hours today and I’m hoping to get out again before new year. I fancy a day on a still water, fishing pellet feeder for carp and maybe a spot of waggler fishing for skimmers and roach.

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
I was back over the Newport AA waters yesterday as there is a match today. It was really hard on the pole line picking up a few skimmers and for some reason loads of wasp size perch. Only F1 and small carp came out on a small method feeder chucked into the remnants of lily pads as that's where they seem to be sitting. Had 8 over the session this way but was hard going and wind was definitely cooler.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Proper bad timing isn’t it! Was proper mild all of last week here then dropped considerably last couple days and looks like it’s going to continue to go that way.
Darn sarf we‘re right on the cusp of the colder and milder air. Could turn out to be mild but we still need some rain to put some colour and flow on my rivers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Seems as though I might get some time off if there's a shutdown.
I'll be heading for our stretch of the Weaver if the weather is OK, for a spot of silver bashing.
There's also a club match, spread over 3 ponds, that I'll enter if there's room

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Darn sarf we‘re right on the cusp of the colder and milder air. Could turn out to be mild but we still need some rain to put some colour and flow on my rivers.
Thames was borderline flooded last weekend but has apparently been in decent nick through the week with the odd decent catch down to it being mild and coloured for the first time this month. I just wimped out of fishing it yesterday due to the cold turn. Been lots of postive reports on the avon this week as well though and even though it’ll get harder now it’s got cold I fancy my chances on it in the cold more than I do the Thames due to there being more accessible urban fishing. Still I’ve never fished it in anything below 10 degrees let alone 7 degrees so not really sure if it’ll produce or not.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Christmas Eve morning I’ll be at Neville chasing carpies in the forecast rain & sleet before lots of church stuff and on the 27th I’ll be out & about too.

Both sessions will be Jamie Hughes guided method feeders outings as I watched his latest tips video and have been ‘suckered’ into buying yet more Sonubaits goodies :):)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was out this morning the forecast was for 8° the reality was 3°... froze me plums off for 1 roach... tis a tad parky darn ere

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Had a lovely day today on a winter league silvers match at Lawn Farm, was cold and foggy but had loads of bites.

Next match is on the 27th at Frasers, then Frasers again for winter league on the 2nd Jan,

Whisker

Site Supporter
Our club fish Sunday’s so no match next week, next ones on 2nd Jan. Looking for a local match on 27th or 28th to fill the gap.