Christmas Break Fishing

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If I can’t get there this week then hopefully the Royal Military Canal at Appledore with my lad on the 27th

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Whilst visiting my brother in Nottingham with Mum over Christmas about 25 years ago my brother dropped me on the Trent Embankment on Christmas Day morning for a few ours while they cooked dinner. It's also his birthday on the 25th. I'd been fishing an hour or two when I found an injured Pigeon with line wrapped around one wing and one of its legs. I managed to catch it but had nothing with me to cut the line free so I put my new friend under my landing net top and packed up. My brother came to pick me up after a brisk phone call and we returned to Mapperley. A quick cut here and there and Mr Pigeon was free of its shackles and released into the garden. Hopefully he made it home for tea... 🐦🌽🎄
Top man. Well done you. 👍. My mate Nicky Dodds did something similar. Brought a pigeon that had been injured fishing with him once. Released it after I’d finished my session. 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is anyone planning on going fishing over Christmas or the New Year?

I'm hoping to get a few days in on the river if the rain lets off for a while to get the river back down a bit

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Yes of course I’ll be fishing. I’m sticking to Birch House Lakes through the winter. They have got plenty of variety available and some of their lakes are fishing really well. Our local club waters die off a bit in winter.

alsur

Site Supporter
Not sure if I will be going fishing again until it warms up, l live in tier 4 and all my normal venues are in tier 2 only venues open to me are four lakes all of which are hard enough when warmer let alone when it's cold. There are a couple of stretches of river but they are 20 miles away and not particularly good. If I get desperate I'll go to one of lakes not expecting to catch.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Tomorrow if the river keeps dropping. After that, I'll be playing it by ear depending on the weather and river level.

squimp

Site Supporter
Yes but.

Time on my hands because of a lack of Christmas visitors and lack of shooting opportunities in Wales. However new tier rules mean local fishing only.

That means waiting for the B Avon to be in the right species specific conditions. If it stays up I may go roach fishing, if and when it drops I will go chub fishing and if it drops and goes cold I may try one stretch for a big perch......

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I’m planning a day out on Wednesday, although the weather forecast is looking a bit pony, also planning a couple of days out between Christmas and new year on the venue of an upcoming winter league match in January.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Quite possibly not. Tried yesterday but the river was already over its banks in places and will be in proper flood come end of Wednesday I should think if not certainly by the weekend so probably be January before its fishable again. Is dry next week but turns cold again and breezy with it so with the river all but certain to be out of action I'm really not sure I want to go freeze down the canal for not a lot at best. Probably will though as nothing much else we can do at the moment 😂

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is the Pope a Catholic, do bears defecate in the woods.... of course I’ll be fishing over Xmas.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Daft question Dave. Of course. I’ll be somewhere that’s for sure. If I don’t I’ll get locked up for murder. 🙄

Carp attack

I’ll give you a shout from Trent ponds shall I ? Our ponds back on to Messingham. Not seen Kev in a couple of years. Knowledgeable bloke when it comes to his fish. Nice place to fish is Messingham ponds. Enjoy yourself Carp attack. 👍
Certainly will do, was there last Saturday on silvers match, bit different to what I normally do but had a cracking day 40lb of all sorts, bites all day, winner had 70lb,, I hooked 6 carp landed 1 🙈 the buggers,,, dare I say the best winter silvers venue in the country? 🤔😁 kev certainly knows his stuff, top angler an bloke to speak to,,

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Will be out on a club water somewhere on Boxing Day, a lake or the Shroppie canal.
Tight lines and a Happy Fishmas to all.