Christmas Break Fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So it's just a few days of work left before a lot of us are off for the Christmas break which generally gives an opportunity for a bit of fishing.

Anyone got any fishing plans for this years Christmas break or any stories of memorable fishing sessions from Christmas breaks of the past?

I'm going to try get a session in at some point either side of Christmas itself hopefully on the Thames possibly on the canal if it keeps raining! Can't say I can remember many good past Christmas fishing sessions as it tends to involve frozen lakes or flooded rivers but I'm sure others must have some to share 👍🏻

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i only have the 3 days in between off, sea fishing this sat morning as 2am HT Friday night/sat morning, sea fishing sunday evening as 6pm HT, then two matches on the 28th and 31st but planning on sea fishing boxing day as well

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was hoping to go to the River Itchen on the 30th Dec, but a couple of lads have pulled out of the trip due to lockdown and increased infection rates so it looks like I'll be popping down a club lake on the 29th and 30th

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
busy time for me after a bit of a lay off.

double weekend this weekend (Sat & Sun)
Possible pairs match either 28th or 30th.
Xmas club match 29th
Open 2nd Jan

oh and golf on the opposite day of the pairs match.

matt

Site Supporter
I'm finishing work at midday on the 24th, so hoping to get an afternoon's Piking in on a local lake...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking at the forecast looks like this Sunday will be the only day for a session pre Christmas as windy and raining every other day. Dries out after christmas and wind drops a little but much colder so probably have a couple chubbing sessions if the rivers not totally ballsed up by then. I suspect it might be if we get as much rain as forecast so plan b is lock cuts I guess probably for bream

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was hopefully planning at least one session on the Wye or the Monnow between Christmas and New Year rain permitting but it looks like those plans have been well and truly scuppered with the lockdown from the 28th and all non essential shops closed from Christmas eve so travelling looks like it has gone out of the window along with buying any bait that I can not get from a supermarket so I think it will be a case of wait and see for me although not really holding out that much hope

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Club match no.2 this Sunday (moved from a river to a Stillwater so I’m going) then probably a few pleasure sessions between Xmas and new year, as long as there’s not a really cold snap.

off work from 22nd to the 4th so plenty of scope for 3-4 sessions

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I'm on three weeks annual leave then back on't posh dole in January so might fit a session or two in. Going to walk the cut tomorrow and hopefully find out where the fish are shoalled up... 6 miles to go at!!

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get back out piking. Had a proper belter of a day the last time I went out with 8 pike out the Trent in a three hour session including three doubles... and then not been remotely bothered to go out since.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Whilst visiting my brother in Nottingham with Mum over Christmas about 25 years ago my brother dropped me on the Trent Embankment on Christmas Day morning for a few ours while they cooked dinner. It's also his birthday on the 25th. I'd been fishing an hour or two when I found an injured Pigeon with line wrapped around one wing and one of its legs. I managed to catch it but had nothing with me to cut the line free so I put my new friend under my landing net top and packed up. My brother came to pick me up after a brisk phone call and we returned to Mapperley. A quick cut here and there and Mr Pigeon was free of its shackles and released into the garden. Hopefully he made it home for tea... 🐦🌽🎄

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Get back out piking. Had a proper belter of a day the last time I went out with 8 pike out the Trent in a three hour session including three doubles... and then not been remotely bothered to go out since.
Have you tried the Embankment? First peg left of the Toll bridge drops to about 12' and the Pike lay here in wait. Grantham canal at West Bridgeford? London Road canal in front of County?

violator

Hopefully this Sunday as the weather looks half decent. I'm now in the construction industry and off from Friday until January 4th, and the poxy pubs have now been closed again 😒

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Used to fish every Christmas eve. Ex used to do the veg and I cooked dinner on the big day. Always caught a few and felt happy putting the gear away for a week