Chris Yates

Status
Not open for further replies.

violator

Regular member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
919
I know he's a bit of a legend, I know he's a traditionalist, I know he's a bit "quirky". What I don't know is how he gets away with using the antique landing nets you see him with. Why does he seem to escape criticism and why don't fishery bosses insist he use fish friendly nets?
 

nobby478

miserable old ....
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
4,027
Are you sure they are antique? I have two nets that you would think are, but after careful searches I found proper knotless nets for them........did take ages though......


Hexacaneflyrod010SmallSmall.jpg


That said, he used to poach and has fished Redmire out of season with non-syndicate guest apparently....


Burn him twice !!!!
 

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
2,887
Originally posted by pmdirectuk

Burn him!!


Yeah,...then Hang,Draw and Quarter him.[}:)] Oh,and snap all his rods...in front of him before the fire's lit.[:C]
 

wozelbeak

Regular member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
1,328
Originally posted by Donfish

Originally posted by pmdirectuk

Burn him!!


Yeah,...then Hang,Draw and Quarter him.[}:)] Oh,and snap all his rods...in front of him before the fire's lit.[:C]
yes.... but first tattoo him, then Hang,Draw and Quarter him.[}:)] Oh,and snap all his rods...in front of him before the fire's lit.
 

Russ G

Rusty
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
566
For the life of me,I really don't understand why some anglers insist on fishing with a load of antiguated old rubbish.
These rods and reels are fine hanging on clubhouse walls and the like but have no place in modern angling.
One bloke I know fishes our matches from time to time with this type of kit and he's last every time.
Angling is hard enough as it is but each to their own I suppose.
I don't think Chris Yates or come to think of it John Wilson are good anglers but through their media associates have access to the best waters.
Me and most of the people I fish with would outfish them nine times out of ten!
 
Last edited:

Allis_shad

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2010
Messages
74
Chris Yates and John Wilson are good anglers!! Its not all about having the most modern tackle. Water craft is something you cant buy. These anglers do fish some fantastic venues that has to be said, but easy, definitely not. No regularly stocked commercials full of pellet munching fish. Natural rivers and gravel pits are Chris Yates's haunts. For anyone who doubts Chris Yates's ability should read his book 'casting at the sun'. His enthusiasm, ability and knowledge are there for most to learn from and aspire too.
Back to the original post. I have no doubt the nets used would not damage the fish!
 

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
1,539
For goodness sake, who'd be a celebrity ?

Easy up all.[:)]
 

tag

Regular member
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
7,164
Originally posted by Russ G

For the life of me,I really don't understand why some anglers insist on fishing with a load of antiguated old rubbish.
These rods and reels are fine hanging on clubhouse walls and the like but have no place in modern angling.
One bloke I know fishes our matches from time to time with this type of kit and he's last every time.
Angling is hard enough as it is but each to their own I suppose.
I don't think Chris Yates or come to think of it John Wilson are good anglers but through their media associates have access to the best waters.
Me and most of the people I fish with would outfish them nine times out of ten!

BO***CKS[:D][:D][:D]
 

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
1,102
Originally posted by tag

Originally posted by Russ G


I don't think Chris Yates or come to think of it John Wilson are good anglers but through their media associates have access to the best waters.
Me and most of the people I fish with would outfish them nine times out of ten!

BO***CKS[:D][:D][:D]
Took the words straight out my mouth!
 

Russ G

Rusty
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
566
I USED TO THINK John Wilson was a good angler and have changed my opinion.Here's why.
In one of his programmes,he was Carp fishing at Oldbury Hill lake near Dorking in Surrey.
I think this programme took a couple of days to make and he couldn't catch any.
Anyone who knows this lake will tell you about the Carp that hang around the cafe and are virtually tame being hand fed on bread.
No one is allowed to fish of the cafe but he was!
 

tag

Regular member
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
7,164
Originally posted by Russ G

I USED TO THINK John Wilson was a good angler and have changed my opinion.Here's why.
In one of his programmes,he was Carp fishing at Oldbury Hill lake near Dorking in Surrey.
I think this programme took a couple of days to make and he couldn't catch any.
Anyone who knows this lake will tell you about the Carp that hang around the cafe and are virtually tame being hand fed on bread.
No one is allowed to fish of the cafe but he was!

Stop digging mate, you're up to your neck already![:D][:D][:D]
 

pieman

Regular member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
2,894
You could aim the same criticisms at people who drive vintage cars, and ride vintage motor cycles, they do it for nostalgia.
 

nobby478

miserable old ....
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
4,027
Sure John Wilson has fished places others aren't allowed, so has Matt Hayes and Mick Brown. They have people go ahead baiting up for them too, sometimes for days at a time, whilst the water is closed to the public.

Whose going to watch a TV programme on fishing where no fish are caught.

John Bailey has done a couple, and I respect his honesty, but they are the most boring TV ever! Sorry John.

It's too easy to knock 'celebrity' anglers. I suspect it's actually rather hard to make a living from angling........


Chris Yates, is a little different...actually he's a LOT different. He writes beautiful books, evocative essays and I always enjoy what he writes.


His next work is said to NOT be about angling....I might not like that one[:0]


Here's something he penned a few weeks ago......


http://caughtbytheriver.net/2010/06/pond-dippings-by-chris-yates/
 

BM Angler

Regular member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
526
Originally posted by Russ G

For the life of me,I really don't understand why some anglers insist on fishing with a load of antiguated old rubbish.
These rods and reels are fine hanging on clubhouse walls and the like but have no place in modern angling.
One bloke I know fishes our matches from time to time with this type of kit and he's last every time.
Angling is hard enough as it is but each to their own I suppose.
I don't think Chris Yates or come to think of it John Wilson are good anglers but through their media associates have access to the best waters.
Me and most of the people I fish with would outfish them nine times out of ten!

Ha ha!!! What a nob!
The care Yates and Wilson show for the fish/ wildlife is something that we can all learn from.

Not good anglers???? Get a grip.
 

DAF 3600

Regular member
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
275
I seem to remember a series of matches with Wilson fishing against Dick Glegg and beating him soundly. I personaly can't stand Wilson he laughs and giggles worst than a tart, but fairs fair he is a good angler and has caught everything that swims.
 

Red Spike

Regular member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
845
Well i for one think Chris Yates is a splendid chap[:D]
Years ago i bought a copy of Casting At The Sun when it was first released, read it many times and was then offered twenty times what i paid for it[:0][:0]
I now buy two copies of his books!!! just in case[;)][;)][:D]
 

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
10,076
And he's a pretty good host on 'Who wants to be a millionaire' aswell.
 

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
10,076
Ahhh wrong Chris....sorry! Are we on about the scruffy bearded fellow on Passion for acting like a couple of twits? If so BURN HIM AND HIS MATE!!! or ex mate apparently!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top