Choosing the right Bolo float

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Severn meadows stretch below the town is day ticket as well and looks much quieter walker wise and is wider to make the boats less of an issue. Never properly set eyes on it but it’s apparently good.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My floats arrived. DH No6s. Packs of 2/3/4/5g floats from Mal Storey's.

Just got to wait for conditions to be right now. I get the feeling it will be a long wait.

2022-01-06 14.28.17.jpg

tincatim

Site Supporter
Those Bolo’s look the part. I do really like Dave Harrell’s floats. I’ve recently got a new batch of the no1 and no2 shallow sticks to go with my lignum sticks. I can see me ordering more soon.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just got to wait for conditions to be right now. I get the feeling it will be a long wait.
Don’t think it’ll be that long mate. Not rained much this week and none forecast after Saturday so shouldn’t be long before it drops to a reasonable level then I’d be looking around Thursday or Friday next week which look to be the 4th and 5th days in a run of temperatures around 9-10 agrees. I’d be trying it that Saturday myself if I wasnt already pre engaged. Far from perfect conditions but tbh you could wait out the rest of the season waiting for those as usually a bit of a weather lottery this time of year.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What size pole elastic would you recommend to use with them Steve?:unsure:
Ha. I'm the last person you want to ask about pole elastic as my choices are based on 20 years ago before puller kits and hollow elastics. I used to use a 6 in old money on rivers like the Avon as I wanted something soft but firm enough to set the hook. The mind just boggles at the choice now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Those Bolo’s look the part. I do really like Dave Harrell’s floats. I’ve recently got a new batch of the no1 and no2 shallow sticks to go with my lignum sticks. I can see me ordering more soon.
They do look nice don't they. I've got a load of DH Shouldered Alloy Stem sticks which are what I've mostly used on the Severn so far.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don’t think it’ll be that long mate. Not rained much this week and none forecast after Saturday so shouldn’t be long before it drops to a reasonable level then I’d be looking around Thursday or Friday next week which look to be the 4th and 5th days in a run of temperatures around 9-10 agrees. I’d be trying it that Saturday myself if I wasnt already pre engaged. Far from perfect conditions but tbh you could wait out the rest of the season waiting for those as usually a bit of a weather lottery this time of year.
Hope not mate. But I do want it to be as favourable as possible otherwise I'll just end up frustrating myself. If I don't get out these floats I reckon will be usable on the Severn next season.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hope not mate. But I do want it to be as favourable as possible otherwise I'll just end up frustrating myself. If I don't get out these floats I reckon will be usable on the Severn next season.
I think you’d catch reasonably well if you do go about this time next week. Much better conditions than I last went in as whilst the river was spot on the temperatures had halved in the space of a couple days and the wind was all over the place but itstill fished ok. At least by about this time next week there will have been a run of stable not super cold weather and a dropping river. I’d fancy your chances of it being ok. Goes cold again the week after so that might be your only window this month although we could get a good February I guess. I fished it on a 16 degree day in February once 😂

bluemack

Site Supporter
I'm looking forward to fishing it as I always remember the Avon being a nice sized river, you haven't seen me cast yet though, I need all the help I can get with sideways casts, or just a bit of practise. :)

That's true. I guess there are other BAA stretches I could fish in summer too.
Hi matey, are you aware Stratford is Leamington water, NOT BAA?
It is day ticket though.😊😊

Total

Site Supporter
Ha. I'm the last person you want to ask about pole elastic as my choices are based on 20 years ago before puller kits and hollow elastics. I used to use a 6 in old money on rivers like the Avon as I wanted something soft but firm enough to set the hook. The mind just boggles at the choice now.
^^ Funny you should mention the above.....Was chatting on the phone with an old fishing pal, "Happy New year etc, etc" and the subject of pole elastic came up during the convo'.....After discussing the options available nowadays for his style of fishing I recommended he use 'Zim no4' for his bit bashing!....We finished our phone call and wished each others family good health etc.....

Half hour later the phone rang (as I expected knowing him so well)......"Are you taking the ****ing p' with sodding Zim no4 elastic?...."......Roars of laughter later.....:giggle::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Mr_Moo

Site Supporter
In normal conditions most of it is a very steady flow as it’s just a typical lowland river really so s nice trotting pace. Whether you can get away with sitting down or not is peg and conditions dependant really but is generally better to stand unless you get a near perfect peg in near perfect conditions.

I know what you mean by some severn pegs being a bit lively though! The one below was probably the most challenging place I’ve ever float fished as was all of about 2ft deep, rocky and bombing through. Was a wonder that there was in fish in it let alone quite a few but was certainly tricky presenting it in a way that I could both get bites and hit them.

1640350233663.jpeg
Berts Stretch in Highley?

Mr_Moo

Site Supporter
Yep top end of
I was in Highley a few weeks ago on various stretches. I took my float rod down to Berts which is at the bottom of the campsite I was on, one evening hoping to grab some perch. Absolutely no chance! Even though it was really low, it's a very fast stretch for a 13ft rod and light river float. Even fishing over depth.

I put out a pint of help and came back around midnight and fished until 6am.

I know for a fact at least 1 barbel and a camera shy chub live there 😊

IMG_20220714_035813-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20220714_024841.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I haven't used the DH Bolo Floats since I've bought them. Probably goes to show

a) how little I float fish rivers
b) how little I know about float fishing rivers

Probably use them or similar at Stourport this autumn/winter as that's somewhere I'd like to crack.