Choosing a pole length.

michael1949

Hello guys,

Been fishing a margin pole this year, and learning the ropes as it were.Looking forwards now, I’m thinking the benefits offered by a longer pole, and
obviously something a little better quality might be worth investigating.

Dont need a 16m one, and perhaps don’t even need. 14.5 one either, so 13m probably would be great for me.However, reading the info from
the guys on this site, it is often said you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

Question is this then: if I bought the 14.5m, but used it mostly around 13m, would there be a noticeable difference between the two poles, as obviously the 14.5 would be a more costly purchase. Thinking Superium pole range perhaps.Then again I would have that little extra length if the
need ever arose.
Would there be much in it, or not worth the extra outlay?

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’m completely out of touch with the latest poles but I’d look for 13mtrs to start. Many poles are designed at 13mtrs to start with and will be balanced at that length. You can always extend at a later date.
Pay as much as you can afford, don’t skimp. Also bear in mind that some poles won’t come up a full 13mtrs so compare as many as you can👍

richox12

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question fully.

If you bought a 14.50m and fished it at 14.50 and also at 13.0 then there would be a big difference as one is a section longer/shorter. The 13.
will always feel better.

If you bought 'X' model at 13.0 and compared it to the exact same 'x' model bought at 14.5 but fished both only at 13.0 then there should be no difference at all.

If you bought 'X' model at 13.0 for £1000 (say) and then 'Y' model at 14.5 for £2000 (exact same kit packages) and compared both only at 13.0 I would expect the much more expensive 'Y' model to feel better. But, that is NOT always the case.

steve 56

To be honest only you can decide that but obviously the more you pay the better pole you will get.
if possible the best advice I can give you is go to a shop and try some side by side and judge for yourself as what suits one person will not suit another.
for example a 13m x10 will not be as good at 13m as a 16m x70 but only you can decide if the difference will justify the extra cost.

jononcb

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question fully.

If you bought a 14.50m and fished it at 14.50 and also at 13.0 then there would be a big difference as one is a section longer/shorter. The 13.
will always feel better.

If you bought 'X' model at 13.0 and compared it to the exact same 'x' model bought at 14.5 but fished both only at 13.0 then there should be no difference at all.

If you bought 'X' model at 13.0 for £1000 (say) and then 'Y' model at 14.5 for £2000 (exact same kit packages) and compared both only at 13.0 I would expect the much more expensive 'Y' model to feel better. But, that is NOT always the case.
Would have to disagree with the above.
Can only talk about Daiwa poles from experience.
I use an Airity pole but at 12.7m there is no noticeable difference between that and a cheaper G20/G50/G90 model.
It's only when you fish 14.5m or 16m that you notice the difference in quality.
Get what you pay for etc.
Airity easily fishable at 16m.
G50 and similar models very hard work at 16m!
The 13m pole market has some great value items nowadays compared to say 20 years ago!!

richox12

Would have to disagree with the above.
Can only talk about Daiwa poles from experience.
I use an Airity pole but at 12.7m there is no noticeable difference between that and a cheaper G20/G50/G90 model.
It's only when you fish 14.5m or 16m that you notice the difference in quality.
Get what you pay for etc.
Airity easily fishable at 16m.
G50 and similar models very hard work at 16m!
The 13m pole market has some great value items nowadays compared to say 20 years ago!!
Which is what I said

michael1949

Hi Lads,
thanks very much for the feedback and advice you’ve provided.

I know it’s a minefield out there with these things, and opinions differ so much, as you lads have already shown.

To richox12, I think you hit the nail on the head in your third line my friend.That is the question indeed.

I really wanted to know the answer to that question ie. If I spent the extra between the Superium 13m and the 14.5, but shall we say only regularly fished the 14.5 at 13m, would I notice a significant difference in any way between the two poles mentioned. Lightness, stiffness, etc etc.I would also have the extra length with the 14.5 if I needed it on some occasions, but if there was no appreciable difference, I think the 13m would be enough for me in 90 % of my fishing.

Hope this clears up any confusion I may have created lads

SRi

Hopefully that's what I'll be looking for shortly, a 13 meter pole that all packs into the butt, furthermore it'll only be used for silvers.

Any suggestions for my shortlist would be gratefully received, though living near two shops with good pole alleys, I'll no doubt be trying a few when I get the chance.

richox12

You would have to have the 2 (or 3 if there's more choice) side by side to feel and judge the difference. The shorter the pole then, generally, the smaller the difference. But as jononcb and myself have said it's not always the case that more money spent = better (if you can define better in the first place).

Spending lots of money usually gets you a better LONGER pole and especially at 16m (or should do !).

michael1949

Hi Yosemite Sam,

Yes I think that was at the back of my mind all along, thereby giving me that extra option if I ever required it.It’s probably
not likely, but when spending your hard earned it’s wise I think to try not to regret buying something like this. When you look at the Superium poles, there’s not too much difference I suppose between these two I’ve listed, so perhaps I wouldn’t notice any difference fishing either at 13ms or around there.

Nicky Dodds

Bear in mind that just because it says superium on a range of poles it doesn't mean they're all the same pole just different lengths. The lower the number the heavier the pole due to the different resin/carbon cloth. The higher the number the better the quality and probably lighter weight.

Paul22

Hello guys,

Been fishing a margin pole this year, and learning the ropes as it were.Looking forwards now, I’m thinking the benefits offered by a longer pole, and
obviously something a little better quality might be worth investigating.

Dont need a 16m one, and perhaps don’t even need. 14.5 one either, so 13m probably would be great for me.However, reading the info from
the guys on this site, it is often said you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

Question is this then: if I bought the 14.5m, but used it mostly around 13m, would there be a noticeable difference between the two poles, as obviously the 14.5 would be a more costly purchase. Thinking Superium pole range perhaps.Then again I would have that little extra length if the
need ever arose.
Would there be much in it, or not worth the extra outlay?
Hi
Good question and many different opinions but here’s my take on pole length…..
First of all forget about what pole you want and think about what fishing you do or would like to do……..
Then be realistic about your fishing by that I mean are you an occasional angler or serious match angler or like me a club angler that sort of thing.
Then look at a pole that fits the bill it’s alright buying a 16m top end pole and if it makes you happy go for it but it can be a waste of money I bought or had bought for me an airity x45 all singing and dancing and it’s a brilliant pole but I never use it at 16m and very very rarely use it at 14.5 and in fact would do just as well with a 13m pole…….
Also think about spares if I break a section it’s £300 plus to replace it for my pole not something I’m comfortable with !!!!!!!
The whole buy a 14.5m pole if you want a good 13m pole argument isn’t as important as it used to be poles have come a long way these days.
There are some really good packages out there without having to break the bank….
My first proper pole was a map carptek 14.5m pole back in the nineties which I loved but looking back it was a bit floppy and fished far better at 13m it was about £250.
My next pole some 15 years later was a maver medusa mark 3 not and early model 14.5m I paid £500 for with 3 top kits and a cupping kit again I loved the pole and this was fishable at 14.5m when required and was strong 💪 in fact my mate uses it ti this day and lives it.
Then my wife to be bought me my airity as a wedding gift and again I love it strongest pole I’ve ever held I had a 19lb carp at hayfields on it this season but as I said I rarely go above 13m ……..
And in hindsight I wouldn’t buy a top end pole again but I would buy a decent pole but I’d focus more on the package you get with it rather than the length.
Any pole is heavy to hold at 14.5and 16m especially if your getting on a bit like me.
Hope this helps

Nicky Dodds

If you're sticking to 13m then middy poles are definitely worth looking at. I've recently fit side pullers and elasticated a new middy for @Spiro and it's a real gem. Decent package with it but can't for the life of me remember the model :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully he sees this and can enlighten us.

Paul22

If you're sticking to 13m then middy poles are definitely worth looking at. I've recently fit side pullers and elasticated a new middy for @Spiro and it's a real gem. Decent package with it but can't for the life of me remember the model :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully he sees this and can enlighten us.
I’d definitely look at middy too !
Good shout

michael1949

Hi Paul,

Yes it helps a great deal, really good info.I think I’d already discounted the need for the 16m length, as I would never used it at that length, and being on the wrong side of 70, would struggle to hold it for long I imagine. Same really for the 14.5 to use at it’s full length often, but I thought it may be a better quality pole for the extra money, but the other lads have put me right on that thought process I think. I said earlier it’s a bit of a minefield, but I suppose a lot of the more monied tackle purchases are, as lots of views on here display peoples brand loyalty to some extend, and everyone has a story to tell about their experiences.
Of late, I have found myself being drawn towards the Preston brand, hence the interest in the Superium range, but I know it would be foolhardy to discount the other serious players in the market.I think it’s now a case of doing just what’s been suggested and put some store visits in, and to get to become familiar with what’s out there. At least I’m better informed than I was earlier. Again thanks to you, and the lads for chipping in with your good advice.

Paul22

Hi Paul,

Yes it helps a great deal, really good info.I think I’d already discounted the need for the 16m length, as I would never used it at that length, and being on the wrong side of 70, would struggle to hold it for long I imagine. Same really for the 14.5 to use at it’s full length often, but I thought it may be a better quality pole for the extra money, but the other lads have put me right on that thought process I think. I said earlier it’s a bit of a minefield, but I suppose a lot of the more monied tackle purchases are, as lots of views on here display peoples brand loyalty to some extend, and everyone has a story to tell about their experiences.
Of late, I have found myself being drawn towards the Preston brand, hence the interest in the Superium range, but I know it would be foolhardy to discount the other serious players in the market.I think it’s now a case of doing just what’s been suggested and put some store visits in, and to get to become familiar with what’s out there. At least I’m better informed than I was earlier. Again thanks to you, and the lads for chipping in with your good advice.
Nothing wrong with Preston poles mate 👍

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Aren’t Middy spares quite expensive? . As regards 13m poles, unless the rules change in the uk to more European ones, meaning you can only fish 13m in certain matches. Then most people will want a 14.5 or 16m pole. So the resale value and chances of selling your used pole in the future are more or less , depending on which length you buy.
Most poles are sold for commercial and/or match fishing , and a longer 14.5 or 16m is needed to reach the far bank on snake lake venues.