Choosing a good sub £60 Reel

Carpy118

Hi Everyone
Still looking for sub £60 Front Drag Reels suitable to use with 10’ Preston Ignition and Drennan Vertex Feeder Rods.
Already have 2 Shimano Aero GT Baitrunners,that I use on Commercial Waters,but looking for 2 lighter Reels,that I could use for lighter Feeder work as I live near to the River Great Ouse.

the Reels I have looked at (online mostly),are:
Preston Inertia 320 or 420
Okuma Barbarian Baitfeeder size 40
DAM Quick 1 4000 Freespool
Daiwa RG4000BR
Browning Black Magic BG 430. (Or 440?).
Anyone have experience of using any of these Reels?.
Hard to find(or so it seems),to find Reels that come with spare Spools.
The more Bearings,I suppose is best?.
Failing that,maybe I would be better looking at good second hand Reels (any recommendations?).
Thanks for reading this Post.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Have a look at Benwick sports for 2 or 3 wild cards, Cresta XT, Garbolino carbon and Rive Smart MF all available for less than £60 I have had a look at the Cresta and Garbolino and they seem quite nice, I have the Rive as I got it as part of a deal with a rod and for the money it is as good as most others in the price band, it is smooth and fairly powerful for its size

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Daiwa Ninjas come in just under your price range. I bought 4 of the cheaper Crossfires(i think thats them) for fishing the Dock where they take a bit of a bashing, and for cheap reels l have been impressed. I also like the Okumas and dont think you will go wrong buying any reel by them.

Robwooly

If any reel companies are reading this please supply a spare spool, don't scrimp on costs and undermine your integrity as a tackle manufacturer, lots of us are choosing models that have a spare, don't compromise make a good reel with two spools.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Having had two inertia’s both broke, clutch packed up on one and line clip on the other, the wear on them was quick they soon felt sloppy. I’ve got a browning, it’s ok for the price, does come with a spare spool but they don’t match one is carbon the other aluminium. But I’ve been replacing all my reels with daiwa as funds allow.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
If any reel companies are reading this please supply a spare spool, don't scrimp on costs and undermine your integrity as a tackle manufacturer, lots of us are choosing models that have a spare, don't compromise make a good reel with two spools.
My £10 reels all came with spare spools. But I still don't understand how, fifty years after the Mitchell Match, almost no one produces a shallow spool.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
My £10 reels all came with spare spools. But I still don't understand how, fifty years after the Mitchell Match, almost no one produces a shallow spool.

I'm surprised no-ones started a business making/sellling spool reducers for all the popular reels. All it takes is 2 bits of plastic as per the Cadence CS10 5000 or the Shimano Ultegra 5500 / Medium Baitrunner.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm surprised no-ones started a business making/sellling spool reducers for all the popular reels. All it takes is 2 bits of plastic as per the Cadence CS10 5000 or the Shimano Ultegra 5500 / Medium Baitrunner.
Or a reel of PVC tape.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Or moreover we should really be asking why most spools are so deep as standard? Are they expecting us to get tarpon on the grand union?
It is more down to economy of scale as on a global market the UK coarse market is very small so most large manufacturers mainly produce reels that are meant for a larger market where heavier lines are more often used so the need for shallow spools is not there and they just re badge existing reels as 'match' reels. It is more about mass production and maximising profit than filling a small gap in the market, it can not be ignorance of this market as most major manufacturers at one or another have produced reels with dedicated shallow light line spools so it is obviously something else that is stopping these being marketed and my guess is it is all to do with profit margins

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
It is more down to economy of scale as on a global market the UK coarse market is very small so most large manufacturers mainly produce reels that are meant for a larger market where heavier lines are more often used so the need for shallow spools is not there and they just re badge existing reels as 'match' reels. It is more about mass production and maximising profit than filling a small gap in the market, it can not be ignorance of this market as most major manufacturers at one or another have produced reels with dedicated shallow light line spools so it is obviously something else that is stopping these being marketed and my guess is it is all to do with profit margins

I'd imagine from a manufacturers point of view, why would they spend time and effort to make a shallow spool when said time and effort can be spent by the customer filling a spool with backing?

We live in a capitalist world where the bottom line is all that matters unfortunately.

satinet

Site Supporter
I'd imagine from a manufacturers point of view, why would they spend time and effort to make a shallow spool when said time and effort can be spent by the customer filling a spool with backing?

We live in a capitalist world where the bottom line is all that matters unfortunately.
yeah shame central governement doesn't control fishing reel production. I'm sure they would be far superior then!

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
I had trouble with that too and took a punt on this EPIXOR XT SPINNING - Okuma Fishing Europe size 30 for a waggler/match reel as I could get the reel for £60ish and 2 shallow spools for £25. Supposedly saltwater proof too. Should arrive mid July. I'm a bit nervy as I've never bought one of the "better" Okuma reels, found them good quality/value at the bargain end of the market end. I'm hoping it stands up to a Daiwa or Shimmy at the same price point.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All my coarse reels are sub £60, would be a false economy spending more for what I do with them as I don't ask much of them. Of those readily available of those I have the Shimano saharas are comfortably the best with the cadence CS5 next probably just ahead of the daiwa ninja.