Chippy tea

Dusty

Just back from a short 3 mile run in preparation for my next half marathon next year and waiting on our lass bringing home a chippy tea after she’s finished work.

large fish, chips, mushy peas and curry sauce with a battered sausage on the side.

What tickles your fancy from the chippy?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Large cod, large chips, sos in batter,... poor man's Surf 'n Turf... hold all the sauces and gravy.... salt and vinegar only, with a couple of buttered slices to make butties wiv... Food 'o the Gods

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Large cod, large chips, sos in batter,... poor man's Surf 'n Turf... hold all the sauces and gravy.... salt and vinegar only, with a couple of buttered slices to make butties wiv... Food 'o the Gods

Ditto, but with brown sauce.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Special fried rice with curry sauce as a rule. Feeds the family.
If it's just for me, then Special chilli garlic.

However - I've just made us some proper homemade chips. Can't beat 'em

samlill

orange battered chips(google them) Mmm, once you've had them normal chips taste and look bland

Chervil

Site Supporter
Saveloy and Chips for me, and a couple of slices for a chip butty. Although, if you haven't tried them, I can highly recommend Iceland's Hash Brown fries. Try them, you will thank me.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Large fish, Large chips and lashings of salt n vinegar......... anything else just detracts from the excellent taste of the food.

I've never understood why people have curry, tikka or garlic on fish and chips, if you want some of that buy an indian/chinese or kebab
if you want Ketchup, Brown or fruity sauce why bother buying good food just to ruin it when you could buy bad food and enjoy the taste of the sauce?

@samlill , no need to google them, i'm a midlander, orange chips are one of the best things that resulted because of the war ;)

Sportsman

Site Supporter
If we had a chipper, and unfortunately we don't, I would have exactly the same as @Trogg.
Nothing on it except salt and vinegar, but the vinegar has to be Sarsons.
It is one of the things I miss. We make our own and they are fine, but it is not the same as being able to pop to the chipper.

feldri

Site Supporter
Next door neighbour owns a chippy. quick text to him for large haddock and chips and he drops them off when he finishes work, usually around 8pm. FOC as well. It pays to be on good terms with your neighbours. :D

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Large fish, Large chips and lashings of salt n vinegar......... anything else just detracts from the excellent taste of the food.

I've never understood why people have curry, tikka or garlic on fish and chips, if you want some of that buy an idnian/chinese or kebab
if you want Ketchup, Brown or fruity sauce why both buying good food just to ruin it when you could buy bad food and enjoy the taste of the sauce?

@samlill , no need to google them, i'm a midlander, orange chips are one of the best things that resulted because of the war ;)
I agree, salt and vineger only, if i dont have a fish, its a steak pudding, Not tried orange chips, will have to give them a go. Anyone tried black peas?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Double white bait @ £3.80 a time so £7.60 equal to a large cod,haddock, rock or plaice or even a middle skate (£7.55)
Don't eat chips anymore and somehow I don't seem to miss them, and a large side salad.
Over 3 stone lighter since April ?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If we had a chipper, and unfortunately we don't, I would have exactly the same as @Trogg.
Nothing on it except salt and vinegar, but the vinegar has to be Sarsons.
It is one of the things I miss. We make our own and they are fine, but it is not the same as being able to pop to the chipper.

Chipper..... the only place i've ever heard a chippy called a chipper is in paddy land......but they always wuz wrong uns anyways ;)

I agree, salt and vineger only, if i dont have a fish, its a steak pudding, Not tried orange chips, will have to give them a go. Anyone tried black peas?

Yep, black peas in batter!

Haggis or white pudding supper salt and vinegar only on chips...… now drooling

So long as they haven't ruined it by dropping it in batter!