China virus

Reuben

Site Supporter
Maybe send enough vaccine for medics and the older people rather than preventing travel. That way the variants can be reduced. The sooner the World reduces Covid the better chance humanity has. National protectionism , blocking travel is short term solutionism. Big thinking required. Nationalistic triumphalism over vaccines is as useful as fishing for bream with half a mackerel
I don’t think that sending more vaccine & medics is really the answer. I thought it was the lack of bottled oxygen that was the issue...Let’s face it, the Indians living in this country aren’t exactly embracing having the vaccine so I imagine it’s the same problem in India. I can imagine the outcry here if we sent a large proportion of our vaccine supply to another nation who are actually producing it for themselves. The problem in India regarding this is corruption, poor living conditions & *iss poor planning. Charity begins at home until this is sorted too.

DaveGas

Having returned to the gym after the lockdown (Puregym) unfortunately we are only advised to wear a mask while entering and walking about, the majority of people do, the main offenders not wearing masks are all Asian (very fit and healthy) and its the same people who refused to wear one before the last lockdown, I did email Puregym as they asked for a review on my feelings on returning to the gym, I did not name anyone or race asking nicely why was this not a rule similar to shops, buses etc, they replied saying my review could not be published due to "reasons included in the review" these people walk from machine to machine without cleaning equipment, stand and talk to each other so it makes me wonder how they act at home and when they go out as it certainly wont help stop the transmission.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Having returned to the gym after the lockdown (Puregym) unfortunately we are only advised to wear a mask while entering and walking about, the majority of people do, the main offenders not wearing masks are all Asian (very fit and healthy) and its the same people who refused to wear one before the last lockdown, I did email Puregym as they asked for a review on my feelings on returning to the gym, I did not name anyone or race asking nicely why was this not a rule similar to shops, buses etc, they replied saying my review could not be published due to "reasons included in the review" these people walk from machine to machine without cleaning equipment, stand and talk to each other so it makes me wonder how they act at home and when they go out as it certainly wont help stop the transmission.
Same next to takeaway shops from day 1 of covid crisis

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It made the BBC evening news, with a caveat that the numbers are generally lower following a weekend

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Holidays abroad from the 17th May ??

What's your opinions on this should it get passed?

Myself personally, I think they're rushing into it to satisfy the tourism industry. We've got this far so why not continue for a while to see how things go and get far enough ahead of the virus for it to no longer be a serious threat to public health.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Holidays abroad from the 17th May ??

What's your opinions on this should it get passed?

Myself personally, I think they're rushing into it to satisfy the tourism industry. We've got this far so why not continue for a while to see how things go and get far enough ahead of the virus for it to no longer be a serious threat to public health.
No holidays abroad for me this year even though next sat i have my 2nd injection. I do miss going away but i think its to early .

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Karen thinks that Turkey will be lovely at this time of year. She's sooooo looking forward to seeing the Taj Mahal 🤡

Chervil

Site Supporter
EU are saying that to travel to any of their countries you will have to have had two doses of an EU-approved vaccine.

Personally, we will be holidaying in the UK, as normal, for our main holiday and off to Gibraltar for a week in October. Everyone there, over the age of 18, who wanted it, has already been vaccinated and they have had next to no cases for a few weeks.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Staying in the U.K. this year. Greek Islands next May all being well.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Staying in the U.K. this year. Greek Islands next May all being well.
We were meant to be on an Adriatic and Mediterranean cruise this summer for my good lady's 60th. However that was cancelled early last year. I think I will give it a few years before we look at one again.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Im thinking, all the procedures we have been following for the last year or so are being lifted far to quickly,

I for one will still practice social distancing and mask wearing for a while yet, and avoid crowds, busy places etc and will continue doing so even after having my second jab on the 22nd of this month

to my mind, things are going in the right direction, and the cases are getting less, but we had the same when the better weather came in last year and look what happened over the winter

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Booked on a Riverfest qualifier on 19 June but I live in a Red List country. Not looking good but we'll see what Boris has to say at the end of this week.

I've had CV19, and two pfizer jabs since. I've no problem quarantining at home for 10 days but no way I'm coming if I have to be locked up in a Travelodge.