China virus

Reuben

Site Supporter
I've less of a problem with the tip, there's always stuff to be thrown away. At least it's outside, socially distanced (at least our is) and it's usually a local journey.

I just struggle when I see so many cars on the motorway, they cant all be essential, local journeys.
That’s because many people don’t give a monkeys about the 2nd lockdown - same up here.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I will need a bit time to study all that. 👍🏼

But been meaning to write about MRSA. The Hospital super bug.
I had elbow operation last week so got recent hospital experience..
Had same operation 3 years ago on other elbow. Before that operation I had to attend hospital for a MRSA swab and was giving a special bottle of stuff to wash my body with on day I was getting admitted for operation.
Last week. No MRSA test but a covid test. No special stuff to wash myself before operation( but I did crack open a new bar of soap 👍🏼)
Has covid hygiene wiped out MRSA ( as well as flu) but thought a simple test would still been carried out
Or has it gone down list of priorities atm
Or just a combination of everything.

Let’s hope a few good things have resulted from covid.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing. I was following this stuff really closely last summer but my interest started to wain as more mainstream sources were picking up on it.

I'm not seeing anything too surprising in there, but it does suggests that the number of excess deaths is similar to the numbers reported as covid-19 deaths, so I think we can regard the logging as generally accurate.

Assuming we get a firm grip on Covid this year, it'll be interesting to see if there is an observable drop in deaths over the coming few years, or whether it is too small and spread out to notice.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
So we are criticising people for going to a tip that for all we know may have controlled social distancing and others for driving "cocooned" in their vehicles.
Yet are elated that we can go fishing.
😂😂

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Which tip do you go to? At ours you've got to get out of your vehicle and unload it the same as everyone else.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing. I was following this stuff really closely last summer but my interest started to wain as more mainstream sources were picking up on it.

I'm not seeing anything too surprising in there, but it does suggests that the number of excess deaths is similar to the numbers reported as covid-19 deaths, so I think we can regard the logging as generally accurate.

Assuming we get a firm grip on Covid this year, it'll be interesting to see if there is an observable drop in deaths over the coming few years, or whether it is too small and spread out to notice.

I was following your blog posts on it, interesting when you were doing them. My job is becoming more and more data driven, I haven’t got a background in data analysis, so am just an amateur, but having to try and teach myself some simple data analysis and learning more about what excel can do for me, so I can present the data - seems like senior management teams are graph mad nowadays.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Two recycling centres in the area Dave and at both they stop the cars coming in,ask what you are unloading and guide the vehicles accordingly.
If there is more than one vehicle waiting for the same "skip" then only one person is allowed to get out of the vehicle and the second cannot until the first has moved on.

One of the recying centres is close to a sports centre and at the moment it is used as a holding car park.

The other is on the outskirts of the town and the vehicles held on an overspill car park.

Very organised and very proficient 👍

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi all, been Away a bit!
Honestly, once you take away the logistics and other vehicles .... my impression is still about
25% more vehicles than a normal
Day. But that allows for all the essential travel. It’s really
Not too bad.
Of course that may have changed in two weeks. We can’t all afford to be laid off:-(

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
For those of you who like a bit of data and analysis...

The table below shows some data published a few weeks ago by COBR with my own particular analysis over the top.

The study followed a group of over 52 thousand patients in hospital with Covid-19 for 28 days and reported their status by age band. There are three possible outcomes - Died, On-going (i.e. still in hospital) and Discharged. What is striking from the analysis is how both the amount of cases and mortality rate increases so dramatically with age.

Up to the age of 49, the vast majority of patients for which an outcome is known are discharged, whereas for the older age groups the Mortality Rate increases significantly to the point where it is 50% in the eldest cohort.

The two columns with V% (vertical percentage) show the contribution each age band makes to total hospitalisation and deaths, again notice how this increases with age.

In the final column you can see the death rate per 100k of the population based on this sample - these are not true death rates since this is a sample, but it does allow the relative rate to be calculated. Here the number for the most elderly patients are massively higher.

The lower summary table shows the consolidated values for the age bands when aggregated according to the colour coding. I've done this to emphasis both the differences between the three groups but also to highlight the importance of the priority groups for vaccination. In the sample the 70+ group represents 53% of all hospitalisations and 82% of all deaths - 90% of this group have now been vaccinated and have had time for their immune systems to build, whilst this will not provide 100% protection, it should make a major difference to both the numbers of new cases and severity of cases going forward.

The 50-69 group being vaccinated over the coming weeks represented 28% of hospitalisations and 16% of deaths in the sample, once these groups are jabbed we will have inoculated 81% and 98% of the risk-adjusted population against Covid-19 hospitalisation and death respectively.

Hopefully this will start to build our path back to normality.

1614695037052.png

62tucker

Site Supporter
Love a stat and I sure in future they be gone over with a fine tooth comb.
Begs a question to maybe be asked.
In Hindsight or if it’s happens again could we of protected them who were high risk somehow and carried on somewhere near normal with restrictions.

Even the path out is a balancing act with cases v easing out.
Like collateral damage

62tucker

Site Supporter
Any guess where we would be today if say from day 1.
All over 50s told to stay indoors.
Rest of workforce carry on as usual
Or what age would you say could of made a difference to the last year.
under 30s and rest shielding. Or go up to a age that the uk could carry on as near to normal.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I'm not sure what the answer is. The problem is that there is very little specific information coming out on how Covid is spread - there are lots of articles saying how it isn't spread, but not much the other way.

In theory if you isolated properly then you should be able to wipe out Covid in two weeks, but it's never going to happen. People will exercise, shop, use essential services etc. and that will cause interaction and hence spread. Then you have the inter-generational family and carers... so true isolation is not really an option.

As for only isolating the over 50s, for how long? Until the rest of the population have had it and recovered, that could be years.

Keith Sparky

Love a stat and I sure in future they be gone over with a fine tooth comb.
Begs a question to maybe be asked.
In Hindsight or if it’s happens again could we of protected them who were high risk somehow and carried on somewhere near normal with restrictions.

Even the path out is a balancing act with cases v easing out.
In Wales the highest death rates have been in the valleys where multi generation families have mixed throughout the pandemic as the communities are very close and people have not been prepared to be apart from their families but tragically have paid a high price

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Which tip do you go to? At ours you've got to get out of your vehicle and unload it the same as everyone else.
Peasants unload their own rubbish at the tip ,,,,,,,,,,im a peasant lol, ive never seen them unload , tell a lie ive seen them help elderly or some womens heavier stuff.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Funny covid story 👍

Daughters friend husband been ill with covid last few weeks. 3 Ambulances at house. Hospital once. She back at work yesterday and he is on the mend 👍.
She was telling a story about when he was ill and ambulance crew were in her house. They had him walking around the room and doing his stats to see if he needed hospital and she must of been rabbit rabbit to the ambulance crew so the ambulance crew told her to let her husband answer the questions to see how alert he was.
They ask him has he got any symptoms he has never had before
He Replied
“My Cock seems to have shrivelled up” His wife and ambulance crew just looked at each other. 🤣

62tucker

Site Supporter
My daughter did have some crazy dreams when she had covid.
She was hiding under her pillows and Fagan from Oliver Twist was after her.

stikflote

Site Supporter
just had letter today to say im a vulnerable person and must isolate till 31 mar