China virus

Chervil

Site Supporter
I came out of isolation last Saturday. Apart from a headache and cough, I wasn't that bad, except for one day, when I felt like :poop: and would have had a day in bed, but didn't want to let my students down.
However, I have a really horrible salty taste (stop giggling at the back) all of the time, like I've eaten peanuts. Has anyone else had any post covid taste problems? Looking on NHS website, they can be common.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Went and did a drive through test yesterday afternoon. Got my result at 9am today. Negative. Still feel really rough though.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I had the same overly salty taste with foods and anything that contained salt - ie ready salted crisps were disgustingly salty and i couldn't eat them.
it has nearly gone now though, 6-8 weeks after contacting covid.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It looks like the South African variant has been detected in Harehills in Leeds - thats the place I drove through and posted about a while ago when it looked like they were having street parties and get-to-gethers in the streets and shops and hardly a mask in sight. Social distancing was down to how close you could get to someone else not 2m - a highly populated Asian and EE area, the pits of an area tbh and no surprise it's also one of the highest rates of infection in Leeds.
Door to door testing should be interesting around there, somehow I can't see it working to plan.

Reuben

Site Supporter
The problem is that these fools effect everyone from a lockdown perspective. If the numbers rise then the Govt are less likely to ease restrictions.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I have just re-read the first few posts in this thread, from 21 January 2020.
Little did we know what was to come.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The government is now aiming to ensure that all adults over the age of 18 will have been offered the vaccine by 31st July 2021.
All over 50's and those with underlying health issues by April 15th

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
We seem to be moving in the right direction, however there does seems to be a general flattening in the latest covid figures in the last week. I.e. instead of continuing to decline they've gone flat. Hopefully this is just a pause before they continue to decline, but I, for one, will be watching the numbers like a hawk. The most important one to watch is the hospitalisation figure since this is (within reason) the mot consistently measured, new cases are interesting, but this is easily biased by changes in testing (such as targeting a specific group or area).

Vaccination levels are a bit lower lately as well. This may be caused by a number of reasons, but hopefully the vaccination levels will pick up again as the newer ones (such as J&Js) comes on stream. Let us hope the logistics in the background can cope with the increased numbers - cant imagine why not though.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Based on a quick analysis there are 51.2m adults in the UK (people aged 20 and above) and we're now up to 17.5m 1st vaccinations given, so that means (assuming very few kids have been vaccinated) that a third of adults have now had their first jab.

I think that sounds like something we should be celebrating.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you noticed how the main stream media have stopped reporting on the rest of the world ;)

Not that the virus is anything to brag about but they're very quick to knock this country when it suits, and very slow to praise it and give comparisons also

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
One way road to freedom

Irreversible

Every adult offered jab by end of July

Ease restrictions in all areas at the same time

Every stage led by data not dates

5 weeks between each future step

Kids back to school on March 8th with twice weekly testing of secondary school pupils and college

Chervil

Site Supporter
One way road to freedom

Irreversible

Every adult offered jab by end of July

Ease restrictions in all areas at the same time

Every stage led by data not dates

5 weeks between each future step

Kids back to school on March 8th with twice weekly testing of secondary school pupils and college
Hopefully, two weeks today I will be back in college. Re the testing, we have been told that its voluntary for students, so unless it becomes a condition of them returning, a large number of ours, will, most likely not get tested.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Hopefully, two weeks today I will be back in college. Re the testing, we have been told that its voluntary for students, so unless it becomes a condition of them returning, a large number of ours, will, most likely not get tested.
Yep, that could well be the case on testing.

But, getting the kids back to school will make a big difference for us. As much as I like having the kids around, they do lower my productivity.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Yep, that could well be the case on testing.

But, getting the kids back to school will make a big difference for us. As much as I like having the kids around, they do lower my productivity.
Most of the students, really seem to want to get back, especially as about a third of some of our courses are practical based. However, some (those that are still in bed when we start online lessons, those that just disappear halfway through a lesson, or answer the call on a scooter or a horse!) don't seem that keen.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Most of the students, really seem to want to get back, especially as about a third of some of our courses are practical based. However, some (those that are still in bed when we start online lessons, those that just disappear halfway through a lesson, or answer the call on a scooter or a horse!) don't seem that keen.
Strange that :)

My pair are missing their friends (zoom is not the same). I suspect my oldest is missing his game of footie at lunchtime.