China virus

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem is if the government bought in the new rules put into effect straight away they would be lambasted for doing so. They give notice of the changes and .....get lambasted for doing so.
No matter what they do or don't do, out of a population of 66million a percentage will find fault in their actions.

With regards to my comment about the 8 deaths; the number of deaths is relative to the number of infections - the more infections the more deaths.
However death is not imminent, it can take weeks following infection, and statistically seems proportionate to the number of infections. So if the infection rate is rising, 8 deaths is an early indication of what is to come.

Hancock's stance relating to testing was not that people shouldn't get tested, but that people shouldn't get test without reason as it is overwhelming the labs and slowing down the turn around for results.
It's been reported of companies and schools sending everyone for testing without reason, just because they can. People applying for test kits when there is no need and they have not been exposed to any risk. There is only so much capacity for testing and when that capacity is reached then results take longer therefore creating more issues.

62tucker

Site Supporter
With regards to my comment about the 8 deaths; the number of deaths is relative to the number of infections - the more infections the more deaths.
In one way that is correct but in another it is incorrect.
Say 100,000 over 70s became infected the death rate I think would be higher than 100,000 under 40s
Stay safe everyone 👍🏼

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Quite true but that is a factor to be taken into account. The reality is you get deaths from infection, the more infections the more deaths.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Here’s a stat. A&E traffic has gone up from 700,000 in April to 1,200,000 in July

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missus got a text this morning to get a test, she has no symptoms.

So I check the link out, it's genuine, go on the gov.uk website, fill in her details with the code provided, the nearest available test site is Oldham 32miles away yet I know of at least three testing sites in Leeds, one of which is massive.
So opt for a home testing kit and get the following....

1599725105868.png

Where do you go from there ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yeah right.....

Out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind...

Annotation 2020-09-10 092534.jpg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Someone whom I know in Kenilworth, with symptoms, was "offered" a test in Aberdeen as the only option!

And yet Boris <edit> goes on TV yesterday and announces another "distraction tactic" of operation moonshot to ramp up testing further!

And yet on radio 5 this morning people were phoning in with questions about the "rule of six" ... all about how they could bend the rules a bit or a lot to avoid complying with them?

yes - people should not be so cavalier about social distancing
yes - tests should ONLY be available to healthcare workers and carers, those with symptoms or tracked and traced

But the government continues to strike the wrong tone at every turn

Last edited by a moderator:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Test facility about 1 mile at local hospital where daughter works. Never seen a queue at all when I pass ? Had to take a mate last week before a operation. Appointment was 11:45 and he wanted to be there early as he heard there be a wait. Got there at 11:15 and not 1 car in queue. There was 1 person sitting on a seat getting the thing stuck up her nose but guess she was parked in car park or had got bus? Drove into covered area. He give his name. Said we were early. Lass said ok we are quiet. Done test. Drove him home and I was back in house for 11:45.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I sure Boris said yesterday the average distance for a test was 10 miles. So if thousands are only going 1 or 2 miles a odd 30/40 or 100 might crop up.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From what I've read, the issue is not with testing centres it is with laboratories as they are swamped with tests waiting to be processed.
Hence the reason why people are being diverted to test centres outside of their normal catchment area as the centres they are being sent to have the lab capacity availability.

Oldham is a new, giant sized, test centre with the lab support available

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The world and his dog is aware of the restrictions and the issues this disease causes... and most of em want to try and get round them somehow just to keep their social lives ticking over and flip the bird to whomever... these are the people that need punching in the face daily... I'm sick of seeing tw@ts walking round supermarkets without a mask, or wearing one as a nose support, or chinstrap.... and these pr!cks that want crowds back at football or other sports are nowt but morons

Blanks

Site Supporter
I go past a test centre half a dozen times a week, never seen anyone go into it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I go past shops without stock and no one in buying - it doesn't mean that there is no demand though, it just means that the shop hasn't got the stock

alsur

Site Supporter
Isn't the problem that demand is not spread evenly around country not sure what they can do we are processing more tests than any other European country apart from Russia and that's from a low start.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I think most people are keeping well away from testing centres in case they get a false positive and have to isolate for two weeks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
False Positives are quite rare by all accounts, especially compared to the more worrying 'false negatives' which have a 30% possibility.

If anything if that is the case then is it a selfish act

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Theres this on the news today,

seems quite even handed and the concerns seem to be substatiated as to wether it works,

substitute "Moonshot" for "Kneejerk" or "Fantasy"

it seems that the huge numbers that are mentioned daily in regard to so many things that occur, have become the norm, without the idea of exactly how many that is in real life, doesnt matter what it is from money to jobs to tests,

10 million covid tests a day, thats the entire population of the UK getting tested once a week each,

Last edited: