China virus

H T B

Site Supporter
As regards the virus and shopping : -
What is your routine with your food shopping when you get home?
Do you still wipe it down?
What are the chances of catching the virus from the actual produce you buy?
Have you heard/know anyone that has caught the virus from their weekly shopping? {from the products themselves}

Cheers in advance

HTB

lp1886

Site Supporter
As regards the virus and shopping : -
What is your routine with your food shopping when you get home?
Do you still wipe it down?
What are the chances of catching the virus from the actual produce you buy?
Have you heard/know anyone that has caught the virus from their weekly shopping? {from the products themselves}

Cheers in advance

HTB
Personally, nothing has changed with our routine and we didn’t do anything different when cases were peaking ie. wiping bags, bottles etc because it is impossible to maintain and was a risk I’m happy to take.
Regarding the chances of contracting it from actual produce, I’d say it’s just as slim as actually dying from the virus itself.
I’m still yet to meet/know anyone that has caught it, never mind caught it from their shopping.
With face masks becoming mandatory in shops, I’d say it’s safer now than it ever has been.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Piece on BBC today
Traces of coronavirus are reported to have been found on packaging in China recently - specifically, on consignments of frozen shrimp and chicken wings delivered from South America.

Naturally, this has raised questions about whether the virus can be transmitted on food packaging.

In theory, it may be possible to catch the virus from packaging - lab-based studies have shown that the virus can survive for hours, if not days, on some packaging materials. What's more, the virus is more stable at lower temperatures, which is how many foods are transported.

But some scientists have questioned whether these conditions can really be replicated outside of a lab environment.. "The chance of transmission through inanimate surfaces is very small," a microbiologist says

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally, nothing has changed with our routine and we didn’t do anything different when cases were peaking ie. wiping bags, bottles etc because it is impossible to maintain and was a risk I’m happy to take.
Regarding the chances of contracting it from actual produce, I’d say it’s just as slim as actually dying from the virus itself.
I’m still yet to meet/know anyone that has caught it, never mind caught it from their shopping.
With face masks becoming mandatory in shops, I’d say it’s safer now than it ever has been.
Hello 👋 ....you know of me for starters, so thats one

I can also name several forum members who have also had it and some still suffering the after effects of it months down the line.

If your not sure what they are look up 'post viral infection' and 'covid long tail' for a start.
Add issues with vital organs, liver, kidney, heart, lungs and brain, and youll realise its not all a clear cut catch it get over it or die as the media makes out.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
A French rugby team players have lung problems after catching and recovering from it

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Including yourself Dave I know of 6 people who have had it bad enough to have been admitted into Hospital. Including you, 4 of those 6 have now got issues they never had or knew they had before.
I also wish I had a pound for eveyone that claims to have had it but "aren't quite sure if it was the virus but it was something"

spudnudd

Think some people that caught this may have problems in later life i watched on local news a guy had caught it and luckily his wife was a nurse and got him to the hospital. He had slurred his speech and she spotted the symptoms straight away and a scan shown he had had a slight stroke.

H T B

Site Supporter
The below was taking from a recent report.
Personally, I find it reassuring. [the piece I've put in bold & underlined being very pertinent]

What are the chances?
In theory, it may be possible to catch Covid-19 from packaging material.
Laboratory-based studies have shown that the virus can survive for hours, if not days, on some packaging materials - mostly cardboard and various forms of plastic.
What's more, the virus is more stable at lower temperatures, which is how many foods are transported.
However, some scientists have questioned whether these results could be replicated outside the lab.
Dr Julian Tang, associate professor of respiratory sciences at the University of Leicester, says that in the outside world, environmental conditions change rapidly, meaning that the virus can't survive as long.
And Emanuel Goldman, professor of microbiology at Rutgers University, has also pointed out that the lab studies used samples of up to 10 million viral particles, whereas the number of viral particles in - for example - an aerosol droplet sneezed on to a surface, was likely to be only about 100.
Writing in The Lancet in July, he said: "In my opinion, the chance of transmission through inanimate surfaces is very small, and only in instances where an infected person coughs or sneezes on the surface, and someone else touches that surface soon after the cough or sneeze (within one to two hours)."

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
We still sanitise all our shopping and bags immediately we get home.
To paraphrase the old adage: I'd rather clean something that didn't have the virus, than not clean something that did.

H T B

Site Supporter
We still sanitise all our shopping and bags immediately we get home.
To paraphrase the old adage: I'd rather clean something that didn't have the virus, than not clean something that did.
Very much our thoughts.

Treat everyone you meet like they have the virus, although hope none have.

As mentioned before self preservation.

The probability of you contracting the virus becomes much less, but it is still a probability nonetheless!

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
We have had a gov. Minister, a handful of Senators, a high court judge, several members of the press, a few top bank officials, an E. U. commissioner , and several members of the civil service , a few gov. party members up to 82 people attend a golf society dinner the day after the gov. announced a max. of 50 people are allowed to congregate at indoor events. The excuse they gave was the hotel federation told them the function was within the guidelines ! This is what makes it so hard for the public to accept restrictions !

lp1886

Site Supporter
We have had a gov. Minister, a handful of Senators, a high court judge, several members of the press, a few top bank officials, an E. U. commissioner , and several members of the civil service , a few gov. party members up to 82 people attend a golf society dinner the day after the gov. announced a max. of 50 people are allowed to congregate at indoor events. The excuse they gave was the hotel federation told them the function was within the guidelines ! This is what makes it so hard for the public to accept restrictions !
The rules only apply to us peasants 👍🏻

Blanks

Site Supporter
Pretty much depends what you are doing, beaches, raves or parties ie, anything you are doing for pleasure is risky. Schools, trains and offices not risky.
I'm wondering if this virus is worse than they are letting on, would they really shut down the economy for three months for such insignificant death rates.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Pretty much depends what you are doing, beaches, raves or parties ie, anything you are doing for pleasure is risky. Schools, trains and offices not risky.
I'm wondering if this virus is worse than they are letting on, would they really shut down the economy for three months for such insignificant death rates.
I would say trains and offices are more risky than a walk on the beach.

genesis

Living Leg End
Site Supporter
Depends on the beach I suppose and how many are jam packed on to it.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Depends on the beach I suppose and how many are jam packed on to it.
Beaches have never been closed while offices have and still many are.
So I know where I would rather be in relation to being safe.
I wouldn’t go on a packed beach anyway. Doesn’t really happen up here.
Only go on to walk dog. Check tide times. Do go when high tide as less beach.