China virus

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The thing is if everyone was told the buildings contained Asbestos dust, everyone would either not go in or would wear the appropriate PPE.
With this virus because people can't see it, don't know or refuse to believe it, don't trust 'the Tories', or don't know anyone personally who's had it, it doesn't exist.
The problem is once they do and they find out the hard way, there is no going back.

I had a conversation a few weeks ago with a complete stranger. I had a mask on, they didn't. They said no one in the area had had Covid let alone died from it so there's no point in wearing a mask.
I asked what they classed as 'the area', to which they replied 'this side of town'. So I replied, 'what about people within 3metres of you?'
At first they didn't realise, then the penny dropped and I got a 'You?'
When I said yes the person literally took a few steps away from me, they didn't know what to do.
Exactly Dave to some the penny will never drop until they or someone close has it . I personally believe it will never go away and will be a twice yearly epidemic just like flu but a lot worse in many cases . I hope im wrong 😔

crackatoa

Site Supporter
The thing is if everyone was told the buildings contained Asbestos dust, everyone would either not go in or would wear the appropriate PPE.
With this virus because people can't see it, don't know or refuse to believe it, don't trust 'the Tories', or don't know anyone personally who's had it, it doesn't exist.
The problem is once they do and they find out the hard way, there is no going back.

I had a conversation a few weeks ago with a complete stranger. I had a mask on, they didn't. They said no one in the area had had Covid let alone died from it so there's no point in wearing a mask.
I asked what they classed as 'the area', to which they replied 'this side of town'. So I replied, 'what about people within 3metres of you?'
At first they didn't realise, then the penny dropped and I got a 'You?'
When I said yes the person literally took a few steps away from me, they didn't know what to do.

You should have started coughing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No need crackatoa, I firmly believe that the majority of the sceptics and controlavirus theorists know deep down that there is an issue but use their scepticism, disbelief, therories, as a macho type cover to hide their inner thoughts - a bit like trying to be hard, acting tough, don't give a f''k attitude, and then running away when the proverbial hits the fan - we all know the type.

The Runner

A lot of truth in that Dave.
Recently read a good debunking book, "Voodoo Histories; how conspiracy theory has shaped modern history" by David Aaronovitch- written about ten years ago; any new edition would probably need twice as many pages for the QAnon nonsense alone which makes David Icke seem sane and rational.

And you just know that a lot of conspiracy theorists would have a field day over the author's name....

PearTree

Calder Exile
Here in the UAE it's a 600 quid fine for not wearing a mask. Needless to say everyone has been wearing them in public places, at work etc since our curfews and full lock downs were lifted, even though they make your glasses steam up :rolleyes:

The Runner

No need crackatoa, I firmly believe that the majority of the sceptics and controlavirus theorists know deep down that there is an issue but use their scepticism, disbelief, therories, as a macho type cover to hide their inner thoughts - a bit like trying to be hard, acting tough, don't give a f''k attitude, and then running away when the proverbial hits the fan - we all know the type.
There's another type as well, the sort who think that adopting a contrarian position to everything makes them more intelligent .The fact that people might follow advice because they have thought about it and believe it to be right rather than just following like sheep, sorry, "sheeple", never seems to cross their minds.
Had the misfortune of meeting one of these a couple of weeks back -stopped to pass the time of day with another hillwalker who quickly got onto the subject of masks and how he refused to wear one and would explain to anyone who challenged him his views on freedom of choice and civil liberties etc etc.
So basically just wanting to show off to himself by being a confrontational arse.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
And yet another so called celebrity idiot who for some strange reason think that the law does not apply to them and that they are totally immune from catching anything. A total full blown 100% dickhead.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
And yet another so called celebrity idiot who for some strange reason think that the law does not apply to them and that they are totally immune from catching anything. A total full blown 100% dickhead.

Trouble is mate there are loads of them about.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What the BBC didn't mention was that when Paul Scholes was visited by the police he was wearing a T shirt saying 'Illegal Lockdown'

Now if that's not setting a bad example to the kids, what is :(

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
What the BBC didn't mention was that when Paul Scholes was visited by the police he was wearing a T shirt saying 'Illegal Lockdown'

Now if that's not setting a bad example to the kids, what is :(
That make him an even bigger dickhead then.

Can we please have a dickhead emoji added to the smiles list Dave. It will get plenty of use.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am not sure were I stand on the mask issue, yes they will help in not spreading the virus but so will social distancing and it appears once people wear a mask then they feel they are immune and social distancing goes out of the window. You also have to look at how effective the generally available masks are, yes they will help but we should be aware that unless the masks are of the correct type and correctly fitted they will only offer minimal protection, This is borne out by the amount of people giving solutions to the glasses steaming up problem.....if your glasses are steaming up this is because your breath is being directed upwards out of the top of the mask ie taking the path least resistance so the mask is not stopping that much of your breath going out or coming in and the fact your glasses are steaming up is the proof that the mask doesn't fit properly. I think if given the choice I would rather stand 2m away from someone not wearing a mask than have someone wearing a mask breathing into my face, ideally it should be someone wearing a mask standing 2m away but it appears you give someone a mask and all other rules go out of the window....I have seen so many people with a mask covering the mouth only and pulled down under the nose....but hey they are wearing a mask....!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just as a matter of interest a neighbour of mine is in his eighties lives alone and is independent but has COPD and cannot use a mask and walk, not even 10 steps. He uses a nebulizer 3 or 4 times a day but would you ban him from the shops for not wearing a mask.

Reuben

Site Supporter
A bit different to the 20 or30 somethings who choose not to wear one though isn’t it........

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
But how do you prove it as anybody can download and print a exemption. I know because l did his from gov.com

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I suppose it's down to trust and conscience - trust by the store staff and conscience of the person using the exemption

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Despite all the advice given by medical professionals during the early days of the aids epidemic, how many people used condoms when having sex with a casual partner ?