Child Cruelty

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Social services have a lot to answer for but all you ever get is ‘we will learn lessons from this’. Unfortunately, lessons are not learnt as it keeps on happening. I’m sure all of you remember the baby P case which happened under the watchful eye of Haringey social services. I know the social worker who was the whistleblower in that case. She blew the whistle on management who were basically inept & missing obvious signs of what was going or just didn’t act when she flagged concerns.

Newlease

Site Supporter
I read this, and felt sorry for the woman. Till this was mentioned. “She took Haringey to a tribunal. But as part of a settlement she agreed to sign a High Court gagging injunction”. So the money was more important to her than the whistleblowing, and the children’s safety. In my mind makes her even worse than her bosses.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I read this, and felt sorry for the woman. Till this was mentioned. “She took Haringey to a tribunal. But as part of a settlement she agreed to sign a High Court gagging injunction”. So the money was more important to her than the whistleblowing, and the children’s safety. In my mind makes her even worse than her bosses.
But she didn’t stay quiet though

Simon R

Site Supporter
Social services annoy the hell out of me

Back when I worked for the council there were a number of social workers off on the sick with 'stress' - every six months (after which their pay would be cut) they'd make a miraculous recovery and return to work for a fortnight or so before suffering a relapse and taking another six months off on full pay. They were, without doubt, the most work-shy group of people I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

I do wonder where social workers come from - is it the last resort for all the graduates with useless degrees in subjects that will never be required?
I can't imagine anyone grows up with an ambition to be one.

I see the local MP is lobbying for the pair to get longer sentences - if they both get whole-life tariffs they should consider themselves fortunate - would it not be possible to make them stand in a corner of the cell, facing the wall, for eighteen hours a day?

Simon

DFL

Site Supporter
Nice to see all the football matches doing a 1 minute clap at 6 minutes for little Arthur
I actually felt uncomfortable with that tribute. Hardly a match goes by nowadays without some kind of tribute being paid to someone that has passed away, it becomes trivialised, clap for a minute then carry on as if nothing has happened. This loss of life was one that has shocked the country , we've not witnessed such evil intent on this scale before and we can only hope never again.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I must have lived a sheltered existence because I never like the idea of social services poking their nose into family life. Have watched a few documentaries that put me off the idea. But cases like this, when people blame a lack of social services, it makes me wonder if I'm wrong and there's more that could have been done. They probably went to the house and were fobbed off with lies.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
One of the lads who works for me went to Coventry v WBA yesterday and when the clapping started there were many who had tears in their eyes.

If tributes like this bring it home and continue to do so then I can't see how it can ever trivialise awareness of what some are suffering.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My old Libdem MP John Hemming was a vocal critic of 'forced adoption' and said the threshold for children being taken into care was too low, meaning that social services were being used to deal with parents with far right politics for one example. Maybe this case will have him questioning that as it happened next door to his old constituency.

Gaz9243

Shame this will never be allowed to happen
89C6C5FC-4E69-4973-80B8-271D9087128F.jpeg