Chesterfield Canal, Shireoaks Marina

Sad Teacher

Chesterfield canal seems a bit of a mystery!! I live near to Tapton Lock and no one is sure who is responsible for the fishing, the visitor centre said just fish but stay on a platform. I don't think any club is managing the water. Sorry can't be more help. Hopefully some one will come along with better advice

Sad Teacher

I have contacted Williamthorpe Angling Club who ran it before for help soon as I find out I will post. If you look on worksop Angling club they state what parts they run....

Sad Teacher

My friend says it used to be day ticket and winter only.... nice pike and perch. But this was like 5 years ago

Looking for somewhere for Roach/Skimmers on Bread Punch and normally Marinas produce, that could be why there are Pike n Perch there

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
You could try giving gateford angling or Ken ward a ring both in Worksop and should be able to give you some information.

commieboy257

Account Locked
My friend says it used to be day ticket and winter only.... nice pike and perch. But this was like 5 years ago
apparently our european friends have stripped it of pike according to a Facebook group. you can still fish it for free on platforms.

Williamthorpe gave it up as the council wanted £3k for the fishing rights.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Chesterfield Canal
Norwood Tunnel to Lock 41 Cinder Hill
I dont know where abouts this is though.
This is on the C and RTs wayfarers wanderers ticket.
There is no true free fishing on any canal.

Sad Teacher

Thanks Nutmeg
I live near to Tapton lock and when I put this postcode into canals trust web search it does not show up at all as either club run or CRT run..... I am going to talk to Canal & Rivers trust on monday as I think the whole canal fishing thing around chezza is very confusing.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
No problem mate, l found the little bit of info l posted on the CRT site. All the canal sections they control are listed there, l would imagine if you get to speak to somebody directly or email them they will able to provide you with the details of the clubs who currently lease the sections that you are interested in fishing.
It would be a good idea if you can give them the bridge numbers in these areas or the lock numbers, as its these features they tend to use when they lease the canals to clubs.
Hope that you find the info your after.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Google

Chesterfield canal fishing

There seems to be lots of links there that could help aswell.

ChrisJSpen

The marina has been closed to fishing for a couple of years or more. I think originally it was part of the Shireoaks club water (if not it was Grafton AA).

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Being a Worksop lad I have many happy memories of the Chesterfield canal. My favourite sections were deep lock to the old road bridge and lock 49 to 48.
But I haven't fished there for fifty years. If we're let out in the summer I'm intending to fish there again. Hopefully my sister will put me up for a few days.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
No, never fished the Rother. I've ascertained from - of all places - a police fishing club site that the Shireoaks section is controlled by Shireoaks Angling club and that fishing in the marina is banned.

Sad Teacher

I'm going to try the Rother near Tapton lock. Info on Rother is hard to find. I saw that too. Want to do more river stuff this year but a lot of the rivers seem stitched up by clubs with long waiting times!