Chelsea.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chelsea Football Club is delighted to welcome Graham Potter as our new Head Coach, joining us on a five-year contract to bring his progressive football and innovative coaching to the Club.

Potter is one of the most exciting coaches in the game, starting his journey in Sweden before bringing his talents to the English game over the past four seasons. The 47-year-old is educated to degree level in disciplines beyond sport and has combined these experiences to forge a collaborative, forward-thinking approach while developing attacking and winning football.

That has been in evidence during his time at Brighton & Hove Albion, where he achieved that club’s highest-ever league finish last season. Along the way, he earned praise for his winning brand of football on the south coast, while proving flexible in tactics and formations to be a step ahead of opponents.

On making the move to Stamford Bridge, Potter said: ‘I am incredibly proud and excited to represent Chelsea FC, this fantastic football club. I am very excited to partner with Chelsea’s new ownership group and look forward to meeting and working with the exciting group of players and to develop a team and culture that our amazing fans can be proud of. I would also like to place my sincere thanks to Brighton & Hove Albion for allowing me this opportunity and in particular Tony Bloom and all the players, staff and supporters for their continued support during my time at the club.’

Todd Boehly, chairman, said: ‘We are thrilled to bring Graham to Chelsea. He is a proven coach and an innovator in the Premier League who fits our vision for the Club. Not only is he extremely talented on the pitch, he has skills and capabilities that extend beyond the pitch which will make Chelsea a more successful Club. He has had a major impact at his previous Clubs’ and we look forward to his positive impact at Chelsea. We look forward to supporting him, his coaching team and the squad in realising their full potential in the coming months and years.’

Behdad Eghbali and José E. Feliciano, co-controlling owners, said: ‘Graham is a football innovator and winner on the pitch and a leader off the pitch. He has deeply impressed us with his ideas and approach to football. We are thrilled to partner with Graham to build a winning team, one that embodies the culture of collaboration, innovation, teamwork, player development, and a commitment to excellence on and off the pitch. We are fortunate to have Graham and his team as our partners in that journey.’

Potter, 47, will take charge of the team immediately.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Swift and decisive by the owners.:upthumb:

Kyle MacAulay, the recruitment expert that's been with Potter since his Ostersunds days, assistant head coach Billy Reid and first-team coach Bjorn Hamburg have also left Brighton to join him at Stamford Bridge.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
GP in six months time...

Mince.jpeg

DFL

Site Supporter
Swift and decisive by the owners.:upthumb:

Kyle MacAulay, the recruitment expert that's been with Potter since his Ostersunds days, assistant head coach Billy Reid and first-team coach Bjorn Hamburg have also left Brighton to join him at Stamford Bridge.
They’ll have a bit of time to acclimatise to their new surroundings, sadly I don’t expect there to be any football this weekend.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
That list doesn't right to me, no Ancellotti for one, surely he has been hired at a fee more than Mark Hughes was? There must be loads more not on there?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
That list doesn't right to me, no Ancellotti for one, surely he has been hired at a fee more than Mark Hughes was? There must be loads more not on there?
Have to agree Chris, hard to know where they (whoever they are) got the figures from and what they represent.
Potter had a figure of £16million in a buyout clause in his Brighton contract which you would have expected Chelsea to have met given the speed that agreement was reached.
Obviously doesn't include wages over the term of the contracts as the figures quoted are far to low. Pretty much pie in the sky and nothing more.

Shadrack

The figures come from transfer market and apparently is the fee paid to a club for the release of their manager so they can sign for a new club, doesn’t include salaries or signing bonuses to the manager etc.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
So the Potter figure is out by around 4.7million Euros then, as I said Pie in the sky.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
UEFA Champions League
Group E. Match Day 2.
Chelsea v Red Bull Salzburg

Chelsea:
Arrizabalaga, James, Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Cucurella, Kovacic, Jorginho, Mount, Havertz, Aubameyang, Sterling.
Subs: Pulisic, Loftus-Cheek, Bettinelli, Chalobah, Broja, Zakaria, Chilwell, Ziyech, Gallagher, Koulibaly, Chukwuemeka, Fofana.

Red Bull Salzburg: Kohn, Dedic, Bernardo, Pavlovic, Ulmer, Capaldo, Seiwald, Kjaergaard, Sucic, Fernando, Okafor.
Subs: Mantl, van der Brempt, Piatkowski, Baidoo, Kameri, Adamu, Koita, Simic, Diarra, Gourna-Douath, Sesko, Walke.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter

Shadrack

I’m not a fan of quite a few of the ideas he’s proposing. The all star game would just end up being a shambles, it can work in a sport like baseball where players have a concrete position and their job appears relatively unaffected by things like chemistry with teammates. But in football we’ve seen time and time again that throwing together a bunch of stars who don’t normally play together and are usually rivals just doesn’t work (Englands ‘Golden Generation’ being the best example). Not to mention the fixture list already being congested as it is.

And I know it’s not just Chelsea, City are doing it as well as others on the continent, but I hate the idea of feeder clubs. Imagine being a fan of one of those smaller clubs in France or Portugal and having a bigger club buy a stake or sign a deal which makes your team become essentially a training academy for their future stars.

How long before someone proposes scrapping relegation like the American sports?

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Anything that can bring money to grass roots football can't be bad. Any money raised must not be given to premier league or championship teams. Maybe a game the day before or after charity shield wouldn't be a bad idea, share it round the country so everyone has chance to see premier league players. Sell it to any free to air channel (ITV, CHANNEL4, 5). Let the adverts pay for it. Yes you might not see the top players but you might see one or two good fringe team players or players that want to help. Even 1 to 2 million pounds would be helpful, I would imagine you could make a lot more than that.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
UEFA Champions League
Group E. Match Day 2.
Chelsea 1-1 Red Bull Salzburg

Conceding a sloppy goal late in the game costs us once more. 1-0 is rarely enough especially in Champions League matches.
Need to find some ruthlessness in front of goal and convert our chances. The upcoming double header against Milan will be vital if we are going to make progress.
International break now and just hope none of the players pick up injuries

KTBFFH ⚽

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Premier League.
Crystal Palace v Chelsea

Crystal Palace:
Guaita, Clyne, Ward (c), Guehi, Mitchell, Eze, Doucoure, Olise, Edouard, J Ayew, Zaha.
Subs: Johnstone, Tomkins, Milivojevic, Hughes, Schlupp, Ebiowei, Mateta, Riedewald, Gordon.

Chelsea: Arrizabalaga, James, Thiago Silva, Fofana, Chilwell, Mount, Jorginho (c), Kovacic, Havertz, Aubameyang, Sterling.
Subs: Bettinelli, Azpilicueta, Chalobah, Koulibaly, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, Pulisic, Ziyech, Broja.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Premier League.
Crystal Palace 1-2 Chelsea

Slow start, conceding the first goal again but Auba slots the equalizer on his league debut for us and such is the cruelty of football that it just had to be Conor scoring the goal to give us all 3 points at the death.
Next up on Wednesday night AC Milan visit The Bridge for Matchday 2 in the Champions League group stage.

KTBFFH ⚽⚽