Cheap backing line.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
As we have recently had discussions on this subject I just thought I would flag this up. The downside is that if you want to get free shipping you’ve got to spend £50. You could always buy a few spools and pay the postage. It would probably still be a good buy. They’ve got various other lines with big discounts at the moment as well.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Good idea, but the spools i want to fill will take 2 of those, that's a lot of winding :LOL:

Think i'll grab some anyway for my other reels, might have some purchases next payday to take me over the £50 so i'll get it from there.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think I've posted this before but here goes. New line onto spare spool (about 100 yards). Fill spool with the old line, then strip whats left off the spool. Then wind the line from the spare spool to original spool. You now have backing line for free and new line on top. Well, I am a poor pensioner and from Yorkshire, what did you expect? :giggle:

IanG1

Site Supporter
Another tip, once you have built your spools up with cheap line. (I use bulk sea fishing like off eBay that's cheap) instead of normal electrical tape over the top which can go sticky and cause problems when the adhesive bleeds out. I use self amalgating electrical loom tape. This only adheres to itself and no bleed out problems.

rudd

Site Supporter
When I was a kid we used wool or garden twine.
Like ukzero I use the old line off spools now if need arises - IE when I het a new reel as ones I habe are all done!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I thought it was 600m like the photo but it seems from the small print it’s only 200m. Not quite as good as I thought but still cheap.