Cheap 13ft feeder rod for the Trent.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The prices of Daiwa 11/13s on EBay has jumped in recent months.
I've also heard some commentators saying that they're ALL roughly the same, just different quality carbon on the same mandrel (obviously there's a difference between stillwater and heavy versions). Everyone has a preference, with associated reasons .. however provable.
I've certainly not kept up to date with the evolution of them after the Amorphous ... but suspect some of the lesser known ones will not attract the same premium (eg. a Team Daiwa or Euromatch) as say a a Connoisseur (and even then there are multiple versions).

Personally I have 3 of the very first (Harrier Whisker Kevlar) and 1 of the latest versions (Will Raison Matchwinner 11/13/15). My view is that the Matchwinner has a slightly stiffer and heavier action.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I would ignore the old Amorphous rods and plumb for a Castizm given the choice and what they are going for. They are a much better blank, have better tips and a superb progressive action which helps to avoid crack offs and hook pulls.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I would ignore the old Amorphous rods and plumb for a Castizm given the choice and what they are going for. They are a much better blank, have better tips and a superb progressive action which helps to avoid crack offs and hook pulls.

I used to have a 13ft SLR, would be nice to still have to give the Barbel some stick but a bit brutish for silvers I think 🤔

Ended up selling as fell out of love with commie type fishing and had no idea it would have any use on the river with me being a predominantly 2 rod "Carbeller" type 😆

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Were Spectrons any good in their time? Just seen this on eBay.

ravey

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the flesh, but it would have shared the same mandrel as the Connoissuer-Z, Connoisseur-X, and the Amorphous before those.

ravey

It might be worth bearing in mind that while the heavy versions came with two tips - one a heavy carbon, and the other a glass tip, neither are rated in terms of test curve. In my experience, and in my opinion, the only tip which complements the carrier section is the carbon job. I’m a bit particular (fussy) about these sorts of details, and find the step between carbon carrier section and glass top too much. The carbon tip blends perfectly, though. And I mean perfectly. Loads of lads in my old club bought the amorphous when they came out in 1993/4, and they have a sweet action/curve with the carbon tip fitted.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Something else to catch my eye, the Browning Argon 2.0 for £80ish

Anyone know if these were a high end rod? I've been banging in the overtime this week so might get one as well as another rod to experiment / have a spare :D

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
If you are still looking for a rod for the Trent and are on a tight budget, take a look at these rods on offer at AD.