Chasing Chub Challenge Afloat

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after starting the river season with a nice mixed bag of silvers caught trotting the Thames at Clifton hampden yesterday with my grandad the plan today was to take my little boat there with my dad to mix things up a bit. I must admit when I was happily catching away yesterday I was tempted to just do the same today. However the decision to take the boat instead was made for me when I had to take my car to the garage this morning to get a new tyre after a puncture on the way home yesterday. That took up enough time to not give me a realistic chance to get a decent swim and subsequently get it fishing properly for long enough for a decent session before the afternoon’s storm which was earlier today than yesterday’s.

Given this was going to be a little over a 3 hour session as opposed to over 6 hours yesterday a roving approach for chub was the plan. Tbh we spent nearly as long searching for them as we did fishing and whilst we did find the odd fairly big individual or small shoal of decent ones (both ranging 2.5-5lb I reckon) they couldn’t be tempted no matter what we tried. Instead between us we just had about a dozen chublet in the same 2-7oz stamp that I had quite a few of yesterday plus about a couple dozen bleak. We didn’t have any dace or roach despite me having quite a lot of the former and a few of the latter yesterday but tbh I didn’t expect us to partly due to the heavier gear and chosen swims but mainly the smash and grab approach rather than the usual building a swim approach. I think we probably could have done a bit better on the chub if we’d roamed less but give dad a boat and he can’t sit still and instead is always searching lol.

My fish were caught on a 10ft daiwa ninja float rod paired with a 2500 daiwa ninja reel loaded with 5lb daiwa hyper sensor to 2AA kamasan straight waggler and a kamasan 16 to 2.75lb hook to nylon. I tried every bait I had (maggot, caster, bread, hemp, cheese) to try get the proper chub but the small fish I did have came on either double red maggot or caster or quadruple maggot over a loose feed of mostly hemp with a few red maggots and casters.

So after a good day yesterday today was a little disappointing but tbf Chubbing is a tougher form of fishing that I don’t do even a tenth as much as I do mixed bag trotting like I did yesterday so I wasn’t too disappointed. Was nice to give the boat a run out and see the river from a different perspective again and good to see just as many anglers enjoying the river as there was yesterday.

Plan now is to have a day off tomorrow whilst it’s rains and get back on the bank with grandad again on Friday probably for trotting again but maybe feeder depending on what swim we end up in.

Just the one pic of the boat and launch point today as wasn’t really any fish worth digging my phone out of the dry bag for!
1592405777557.jpeg

Zerkalo

Nice report again. I don't know much about Chub fishing on that kind of river as most of mine has been done on much smaller rivers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m pretty hopeless at proper chub fishing tbf. I catch them easy enough trotting for mixed bags, mostly sub pound but with the odd proper one, but when I target the proper ones specifically they do seem to take some catching. Finding them isn’t too hard but getting them to bite is more occasional. Sometimes it’s almost like I’m guiding the float through the proper ones to the little ones lol